Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Network connection seems much more reliable after...

Posted by iamburny 
Network connection seems much more reliable after...
January 09, 2014 11:45AM
As a lot of you know I'm working on a new web interface, this has required a lot of power cycling of the ormerod, sd removal, usb disconnects etc. I've discovered that it is much more reliable if JP9 is removed from duet, so the PSU only now powers the motors and heaters, this requires the USB to be connected to power the duet. were as it used to take several power cycles to make the lan connection work, now it works about 95% of the time making the Web interface a viable alternative to pronterface's serial over usb.

Btw, I have a replacement duet in my ormerod with the correct resistor alignment.

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
Re: Network connection seems much more reliable after...
January 09, 2014 12:08PM
Interesting! My connection reliability increased from about 5% to about 95% after I made some firmware changes to improve the recovery from network errors. I can still see (via the serial monitor) that network errors happen initially on most connection attempts. I'll try removing JP9 and see if the network errors go away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 12:08PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2014 04:33PM
I discovered that mine works 95% of the time when I use my laptop instead of my desktop PC, I am not using the USB connection at all.

When i first tried the laptop I had only the printer, laptop and switch on the network, and I was using static IP addresses for both. I thought that would fix it on the desktop but when I tried it didn't work at all.....

@dc42 I will be interested to try your updates, I was hoping to do the same myself over Christmas but trying to even make the fw build was driving me nuts and i lost interest.
January 09, 2014 06:26PM
mdearman, I found the same thing: Ethernet connection worked fine when connected direct to my laptop (which is wirelessly connected to my router), but not when connected to my Ethernet switch, either from the laptop or from my main PC.

Investigation revealed that when connected via the switch, there were some network errors occurring, and the firmware had no effective error recovery. I added error recovery, and now it works 95% of the time. I can even disconnect and reconnect. I still don't know what is causing the network errors, and they only occur during the initial connection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 06:27PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 09, 2014 07:06PM
From info given above, what I think is network seems interfered by power supply, not proper grounding on pcb design, and noise from PC ( yes PC can be very noisy ) feed into PCB and interfere the Duet board's network circuit.
Laptop computer powered by battery , and also better noise shielding than desktop . hence less noise.
January 10, 2014 03:14AM
tru168
From info given above, what I think is network seems interfered by power supply, not proper grounding on pcb design, and noise from PC ( yes PC can be very noisy ) feed into PCB and interfere the Duet board's network circuit.
Laptop computer powered by battery , and also better noise shielding than desktop . hence less noise.

Why do you suppose the serial monitor reports network errors during the initial connection, but not once the password has been accepted?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 03:15AM by dc42.

January 10, 2014 05:39AM
hi dc42,

that was just what I suspect , I need further test when I received mine . I answered to Victors in other thread about noise filtering and measuring. [forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login