Re: Fix for USB printing [and other firmware improvements]
January 13, 2014 04:56AM
I love open source this is amazing I get a new printer every daysmiling smiley
Thanks!
/Joar #25
January 13, 2014 05:02AM
dc42
I'm happy to report that RRP have now merged my changes into the Duet branch of the official firmware. The official 0.55 release build is here, I haven't tried it yet, but they seem to have accepted all of my changes. You still need to do the Pronterface patch to make USB printing and file upload work at full speed.

That's great news dc.Official acceptance of the hard work done on these forums is well deserved. I only wish I had the same free time I had over the festive hols. to keep up with progress here.

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
January 13, 2014 05:19AM
Hi dc42,

Great work, great news!

Regarding Pronterface and uploading files to SD card it seems to hang if you don't disable debugging.

Markus

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
January 13, 2014 05:32AM
markbee
Regarding Pronterface and uploading files to SD card it seems to hang if you don't disable debugging.

My initial tests for both printing circle.g and for uploading large (3.7Mb) files were done with debugging info on. I didn't see any hanging, although during SD upload there is a very long pause between the last "Serial:" message displayed in the Pronterface window and the "Finished" message. But I always turn off debug output now. For one thing, SD uploading is faster with debugging info off. Also, I usually have the web interface connected as well as Pronterface, so that I get a continuous readout of the temperatures; and with debugging on, you get all the http messages messing up the Pronterface window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 05:33AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 13, 2014 06:09AM
Just a reminder that your fix works for repetier host USB comms too, the critical settings in repetier's printer options seem to be turning off "ping-pong" and setting the buffer size ("receive cache") to a larger amount than default. The default is 63 bytes, repetier's hints state that older arduinos had this limit but that many newer firmwares use 127 bytes - 63 gives a lot of stuttering still, 127 is much smoother. I just set mine to 255 and it makes the printing as smooth as SD printing - any idea how large the cache would be in the duet? It doesn't seem to overflow at 255, but I'd like to set it to something that matches the duet's capabilities, rather than stretching them...

Cheers

Ray
January 13, 2014 06:18AM
rayhicks
I just set mine to 255 and it makes the printing as smooth as SD printing - any idea how large the cache would be in the duet? It doesn't seem to overflow at 255, but I'd like to set it to something that matches the duet's capabilities, rather than stretching them...

The Duet supports USB natively, so there is flow control and you can't overflow the buffers (that is why you can run without ping-pong). It looks like the receive buffer in the Arduino library that is used by the firmware is 63 bytes, however I added an extra 256 byte buffer in the Duet firmware. There is probably some additional buffering in the USB stack.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 13, 2014 06:21AM
Hi Ray,

the Arduino libraries show 512 bytes receive buffer (RingBuffer) for the Arduino Due. Can't see any change in the RepRap implementation.

[EDIT: That's of cause for the implementation of the serialUSB class in Arduino]

Markus

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 06:25AM by markbee.

January 13, 2014 06:23AM
Thanks Markus - I really should learn how to read !!!

Ray
January 13, 2014 06:33AM
Hi Ray,

unfortunately I had not any time to at least skim through the firmware. I'm just about thinking doing a touch controlled standalone interface for the Ormerod or an Android app controlling the printer via Bluetooth/ WIFi (with webcam integration of course if WiFi is available). But I think there are still too many mechanical issues before doing such "luxury" things.
Uh and I forgot about the water cooling stuff I have already laying around...

Markus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 06:35AM by markbee.

January 13, 2014 06:36AM
markbee
the Arduino libraries show 512 bytes receive buffer (RingBuffer) for the Arduino Due. Can't see any change in the RepRap implementation.

Hi Markus,

Where did you find that? I just rechecked and it appears to be 64 (of which 1 byte is unusable, so 63 really). I'm looking at the Arduino 1.5.4 source, because that is the version the firmware is compiled against.

January 13, 2014 07:01AM
dc42: A big thank you from us! Adrian said he had accepted the network code (and 3D-ES web interface fix), but I didn't know he had accepted all the other changes too. Maybe he doesn't...

I've spoke to Jean-Marc about changing Pronterface to, to have a menu option for Melzi/Duet, which would enable/disable self.clear true/false.

Everyone - Please be aware that the 'Duet' branch is, effectively the unstable development branch, for testing; the master branch is still the main release branch. I expect it will be a couple of days before this gets moved to the master branch, once we have some feedback.

Right, back to emails and documentation...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 13, 2014 07:01AM
DC

Regarding the Pronterface change:

"4. Edit file printrun.py in the Pronterface directory. Look for the statement "self.clear = False" at line 300. Comment this out with a single # character at the start."

The file to be edited is not printrun.py but printcore.py.

So it changes from ??

def _sendnext(self):
if not self.printer:
return
while self.printer and self.printing and not self.clear:
time.sleep(0.001)
self.clear = False
if not (self.printing and self.printer and self.online):
self.clear = True
return

to
def _sendnext(self):
if not self.printer:
return
time.sleep(0.001)
# self.clear = False
self.clear = True
return
January 13, 2014 07:07AM
looks like there are two buffers for serial, the larger one is used and defined in /Duet-master/Archive_Files/eclipse_examples/ArduinoDueCore/src/core/USB/CDC.cpp (which seems to be used for serialUSB ) : - #define CDC_SERIAL_BUFFER_SIZE 512), the other is presumably not used for USB (since I'm not overflowing it when sending it 255 bytes) - it's size is defined in /Duet-master/Archive_Files/eclipse_examples/ArduinoDueCore/src/core/RingBuffer.h :-#define SERIAL_BUFFER_SIZE 64

Ray

edited to make UScool smiley read as USB ) - damn smileys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 07:09AM by rayhicks.
January 13, 2014 07:09AM
Hi,

the "old" 8-Bit Arduinos used to have 63 byte ringbuffer for the serial class implemented.

Markus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 07:10AM by markbee.

January 13, 2014 07:18AM
victors
Regarding the Pronterface change:

"4. Edit file printrun.py in the Pronterface directory. Look for the statement "self.clear = False" at line 300. Comment this out with a single # character at the start."

The file to be edited is not printrun.py but printcore.py.

Thanks victors, I've connected the original post.

January 13, 2014 02:10PM
:-) Big smiles over here ;-)

I have programmed version 57 with Pronter mod. Working great. My SD image did not have the homex/y/z.g files. Loaded it and now everything works.Just doing a quick snowman.g print. Moves and sounds just like SD card print.

Great work.

drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 02:11PM by victors.
January 13, 2014 03:21PM
victors
:-) Big smiles over here ;-)

I have programmed version 57 with Pronter mod. Working great. My SD image did not have the homex/y/z.g files. Loaded it and now everything works.Just doing a quick snowman.g print. Moves and sounds just like SD card print.

Great work.

drinking smiley

It's great to hear it singing like that, eh? - I like listening to circles bestsmiling smiley dc really has worked wonders over the last few days. I did my first long print over usb today with (what we had been calling) a fine print at 0.12mm - it came out perfect on the third attempt - because I was using USB I could see repetier's next moves printing on screen just ahead of the actual moves, and then stop and reslice with different settings (change retraction, temperatures etc) without having to restart the duet or the mac, and no need to re-upload to SD - saved me what felt like two hours - soon I might catch up on time!

Anyhow, 0.1(ish) is my new standard printing height (as advertised as standardby many manufacturers and I was starting to feel left out until last week's workaround that didn't really do the same thing as the fix), and I can use usb or SD printing at whim, and I'm very impressed
April 15, 2014 10:40AM
I went on [github.com] and found that printcore.py of today is different from the one referred by previous posts.

def _sendnext(self):
        if not self.printer:
            return
            time.sleep(0.001)
        if self.clearNext:
            self.clear = False
            self.clear = True
            return
        if self.resendfrom < self.lineno and self.resendfrom > -1:
            self._send(self.sentlines[self.resendfrom], self.resendfrom, False)
            self.resendfrom += 1
            return
        self.resendfrom = -1
        for i in self.priqueue[:]:
            self._send(i)
            del self.priqueue[0]
            return
        if self.printing and self.queueindex < len(self.mainqueue):
            tline = self.mainqueue[self.queueindex]
            tline = tline.split(";")[0]
            if len(tline) > 0:
                self._send(tline, self.lineno, True)
                self.lineno += 1
            else:
                self.clear = True
            self.queueindex += 1
        else:
            self.printing = False
            self.clear = True
            if not self.paused:
                self.queueindex = 0
                self.lineno = 0
                self._send("M110", -1, True)

Is the patch still needed (although I'm not sure what line to change, now), or has it been included already on RepRapPro github?
April 15, 2014 12:02PM
I believe you still need to apply the fix which is to comment out the line

if self.clearNext:

which is line 6 in your quote and around line 300 in the actual file.

This has not been done in the printcore.py on reprap Github
April 15, 2014 12:37PM
It appears to me that RRP has removed the need for the patch. If you go to Settings->Options there is a setting called clearnext. It looks to me that this needs to be set to 0 when talking to the Duet board, or 1 when talking to the older boards. So just make sure that clearnext is set to 0. To test whether this is sufficient, time the upload a large file to the SD card. If you don't need the patch, it should be about 2Mb/min. If you do need the patch, it will be much slower.

May 06, 2014 04:14AM
Hi guys,

Until now I used the precompiled Mac version of Pronterface supplied by RRP:
[reprappro.com] OR
[myreprappro.com]

As I found out, this version was missing the "clear_next" flag described by dc42. So I tried to compile pronterface from the master branch, on my Mac: [github.com]

I duly followed the instructions and installed all Python modules first:
- wxPython3.0-osx-cocoa-py2.7: [downloads.sourceforge.net]
- pyserial 2.5: [pypi.python.org]
- pyglet 1.1.4: [pyglet.googlecode.com]

It turns out that this version indeed contained the "clear_next" flag, so hurray! Now here's the issue: I am missing all graphical indicators, namely the XYZ "dial" to move and home the axes, as well as the temperature graph. I thought that maybe I did not install the Python modules correctly (my guess was wxPython), so I went on to download the vanilla pronterface from here: [github.com]

When I run this original software everything displays just fine! So now my guess is that the RRP pronterface flavour requires a different version of the wxPython module. Does anybody of you know whether my diagnosis is correct and if so, which version I need to have installed on my machine?

BTW, sorry that I don't have any illustrative screenshots available, but I'm currently not on my Mac - will try to upload pictures this evening.

Alex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 04:15AM by Blindseeker.
May 07, 2014 05:58AM
Hi again,

just to make things clear, I've attached a couple of screenshots:
  1. RRP precompiled Pronterface
  2. RRP pronterface, compiled on my own
  3. Vanilla pronterface, compiled by myself

Maybe somebody encountered and overcame the same issues?

Best,
Alex
Attachments:
open | download - pronterface_RRP_precompiled.png (196.4 KB)
open | download - pronterface_RRP_compiled.png (202.3 KB)
open | download - pronterface_vanilla_compiled.png (205.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login