Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Design idea - fixation and tightening of the y-drive belt

Posted by markbee 
Re: Design idea - fixation and tightening of the y-drive belt
January 19, 2014 09:11AM
I have designed a couple of fasteners for the Ydrive. I have attached the STL. When I try to print it, the printer locks up as soon as it completes the skirt and starts the print.I printed a prototype of the design no problem then I tweaked the design and now cannot progress. It goes through SlicR3 with out problem, but always fails at the same point. I wonder if anyone can have a look at this and see what is the problem. All other printing is fine so it has to be this STL.
Attachments:
open | download - Y tensioner.stl (253.8 KB)
January 19, 2014 09:28AM
@dc42 - Yep I will be able to modify that part to have a straight slot for the right side of the bed rib, I'll get onto it later. I have removed the belt twist on my Y axis , the belt tension was easily applied and I've done a few prints now with no discernible difference in print quality, i'll still modify the right side part however just to give that as an alternative.

@dmould - Glad the parts helped =)

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
February 02, 2014 06:55PM
iamburny
@dc42 - Yep I will be able to modify that part to have a straight slot for the right side of the bed rib, I'll get onto it later. I have removed the belt twist on my Y axis , the belt tension was easily applied and I've done a few prints now with no discernible difference in print quality, i'll still modify the right side part however just to give that as an alternative.

Hi Matt,

I know you've been busy improving the web interface, but did you make any progress on the above?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 03, 2014 07:52AM
Hi dc, Not had a chance with the Web Interface dev, I'll add it to the todo list =)

Matt

February 06, 2014 11:04AM
@dc42 - Finally got around to fixing the Y-Belt clamps so you can retain the twist in the belt if required.

Y Belt Clamp STL

Matt

February 06, 2014 11:28AM
Thanks Matt, I'll go ahead and print a set.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 07, 2014 05:06AM
johneato
I've been doing a bit of parallel development, I was producing a two screw Y belt adjuster and then saw Ians reference to an hinged adjuster for the Y axis. So modified my design as can be seen in the attachment. Seems to work quite well.

[attachment 24807 IMG_0504.jpg]

Ormerod 096

@johneato: Do you have any stl-files for me/us? I would like to try your version of the belt tensioner, if its ok for you. It would be very much appreciated. ;-)

Thanx, Sven

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 05:06AM by Mr.Burns.
February 07, 2014 07:28AM
iamburny
@dc42 - Finally got around to fixing the Y-Belt clamps so you can retain the twist in the belt if required.

I like this one a lot, and will give it a go. One question.

The SCAD file seems to generate a different STL to the one on GIT. The SCAD gives a piece 24mm high, whereas the STL seems to be 21.2mm. Is the SCAD a later update? I'm using OpenSCAD Windows 64 2013.6
February 07, 2014 07:39AM
Hi Bob,

When i designed it i build it oriented as it would be fitted to the Ormerod, I then rotated it to lie on its back plate for easier printing, I probably forgot to uncomment out the rotate on the 24mm high one you have.

I've checked the github version of "y-belt-clamp-v7.scad" and "y-belt-clamp-v7.stl" these are the latest and correctly rotated version so best use them.

Matt

February 07, 2014 11:27AM
It didn't think it was the rotate that was causing the difference. The height as printed in the SCAD seems to be 21 + thick (to accommodate the hulls) = 24mm which is what I get from a self-generated stl. The stl on the Git seems to be 21mm. If I put 18 in the SCAD then I get a stl output with 21mm height, pretty much identical to the git stl.

Either way the part looks good.
February 07, 2014 12:25PM
Bob,

You are quite right, i took a closer look at the differences between v6 and v7, I removed the previous (ugly) fillets and replaced it with a (shiny) hull and had to raise the side plate by 3mm, but forgot to trim the height, i'll adjust it back down to what it was even thought it is not a functional difference it will save a tiny bit of weight and filament!

Matt

February 08, 2014 03:57AM
Mr.Burns
@johneato: Do you have any stl-files for me/us? I would like to try your version of the belt tensioner, if its ok for you. It would be very much appreciated. ;-)

Thanx, Sven
I have attached a copy of all the bits I have made to modify the Y belt
John

Attachments:
open | download - Modified y-idler-bracket.stl (431.3 KB)
KP
February 09, 2014 04:20AM
My take:

The overall length is 40mm with ~20mm of adjustment, I imagine it could probably be made shorter, I don't have the printer or belt with me to fiddle with.

I still have to assemble my hot end, extruder & electronics so I'm not liable to be trying to print it for a week or more. If anyone feels like having a go, I'll put the files up...

Does anyone have experience of clearances required for sliding parts? Is 0.125mm sufficient or should I just leave the parts full size and file them to fit as required? I suppose it is very much down to individual machines characteristics and calibration.

Kev.
February 11, 2014 04:21AM
@ johnaeto:

Thanx a lot, i'm actualliy printing you parts to upgrade my printer a.s.a.p.

Best regards, Sven
February 12, 2014 12:07PM
Hi John,
I have printed your y-idler set but had a few problems.
Only 1 of the (washers) was printed, the other one just printed a round bar which would have been the hole.
I think my printer or the settings I an using are not good enough for this print because I could not get your belt tensioners to grip the belt without slipping. The groves that match the belt seem very small.
My printer jumped in the X & Y direction after it had finished at the height of the belt tensioners so this put the main y-idler-bracket out of alignment.

Is it possible for you to provide individual stl or g code files please.
Thank you for your help
Paul
February 12, 2014 12:33PM
Matt
Just printed your y-belt-clamp version 7 but I think my printer is not quite good enough to print accurately. Although the 2 parts look good and are square in all directions the gap between the sections where the belt should grip the groves is so small that I can not get the belt inserted. I assume that they printed OK on your printer so I must have something wrong.
Have you any ideas what I could do to improve the quality of prints.

Earlier I printed John's y-idler set and posted the results, so I am convinced that my settings are not quite correct but I don't know enough to know what to do about it.

grateful for any help
Paul
February 12, 2014 01:40PM
@appjaws1 - you could try my G code file if you like, see attached, I reduced the cylindrical facets a bit, can sometimes help smiling smiley

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 02:31PM by iamburny.

Attachments:
open | download - y-belt-clamp-v7x.stl (207.1 KB)
February 12, 2014 02:16PM
appjaws1
Matt
Just printed your y-belt-clamp version 7 but I think my printer is not quite good enough to print accurately. Although the 2 parts look good and are square in all directions the gap between the sections where the belt should grip the groves is so small that I can not get the belt inserted. I assume that they printed OK on your printer so I must have something wrong.
Have you any ideas what I could do to improve the quality of prints.

I found them too tight as well, so I shaved the slots out a bit using a knife.

February 12, 2014 02:33PM
appjaws1
Is it possible for you to provide individual stl or g code files please.
Thank you for your help
Paul

Paul
Find attached as requested the indvidual stls . The belt should go around the post on the retainer and then back on itself befor being pushed into the groove. The groove is quite tight and I did ease it with a file. I wasn't sure about the tolerances and felt better to have it tight, as it could be eased. If loose it would be in the bin.
John
Attachments:
open | download - y-idler-bracket2.stl (72.1 KB)
open | download - y-idler-bracket1.stl (84.9 KB)
open | download - Retainer.stl (10.6 KB)
open | download - Retainer L & R.stl (253.8 KB)
February 12, 2014 02:35PM
Its a fine line between too tight and loose enough to slip, the belt is 0.7mm and the teeth are 0.5mm, so 0.1mm variance is almost 10%

I figured tighter would be better as its a lot easier to take away material than add more.

Matt

February 12, 2014 03:48PM
I wanted to use Matt's v7 y-belt fixation, but not a separate adjustable y-belt tensioner. The spacing of the grooves in the MXL belt appears to be 2mm, and I found this didn't give me enough resolution to get the right tension. Depending on which belt grooves I put in Matt's fixing devices, the belt tension after fully tightening the mounting screws either felt too low or was high enough to make the y-carriage noisy. So here is a set of 3 spacers (0.5mm, 1mm and 1.5mm) which can be slipped (individually or in combination) underneath Matt's pieces in order to achieve a sensible tension.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 03:49PM by dc42.

Attachments:
open | download - Spacers.scad (339 bytes)
open | download - Spacers.stl (28 KB)
June 14, 2014 11:12AM
Hi

I tried printing your y-belt-clamp-v7 and -v7x however on one of the parts the teeth are just too close to the wall - in fact one closes. I'm converting your STL file to G code, I'm wondering if my settings are off?

Pete
June 14, 2014 11:17AM
You might want to try reducing the extrusion factor a little in the slic3r filament settings. Or, it you are using my 0.65f-dc42 firmware variant, use an M221 command [reprap.org] to reduce the extrusion factor before or during printing.

June 15, 2014 11:18AM
I tried a 0.9 multiplier and got a print that's a lot better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login