Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adjustable runner bearing on x carriage

Posted by tru168 
Adjustable runner bearing on x carriage
January 15, 2014 11:23PM
I'm installing the adjustable bearing and x carriage now , I found that the screw holding the adjustable bearing will tilt out wards when I tighten it, leave a 2.5mm of gap between plexi glass and bearing.I noticed that the x carriage printed part seems not flat on its surface, in fact, it warp and tilt a little outwards actually. I carefully file the surface for the bearing to sit on, hope that it can be tilt in ward a little to close the gap. It helps a little but the gap still quite big, about 1.5mm+ free play . I can't file it any further or I will destroy the x carriage printed part.

Anyone facing the same problem? How you guys solve this ?
Ew
Re: Adjustable runner bearing on x carriage
January 16, 2014 04:18AM
Welcome to the club! I had similar problems.

First, examine the top surface where the bearing sits, and file away any bumps so the area is flat. Next, examine the nut trap. Check that the nut will go deep enough into it to be under the end of the slot for the screw. Also check whether the upper inside surface is flat at the end. Use a knife to cut away the offending plastic.

When you've done that, you should be able to put the bearing right at the inner end of the slot and tighten it. If the gap is still too large, the print head assembly will sag. Fixes at this point include any combination of:

- use a 623ZZ (10mm) bearing instead of the supplied 9mm bearing
- file out the slot and cut away the nut trap some more
- use tape or a hacksaw blade attached to the x-plate to take up some of the gap

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 16, 2014 04:51AM
If you haven't mounted the hot end yet, the belt pulls the x-carriage idler bearing back off the x-axis-plate. When you fit the hot end, the weight pulls the bearing into contact.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 16, 2014 04:54AM
reprappro
If you haven't mounted the hot end yet, the belt pulls the x-carriage idler bearing back off the x-axis-plate. When you fit the hot end, the weight pulls the bearing into contact.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Quite so; but with 2.5mm 1.5mm play, if his build is anything like mine then the hot end is going to sag a lot. I find I need about 0.5mm play to level the hot end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 05:01AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 16, 2014 05:23AM
Hi Dc42,

Thanks for your info. after half an hour of filing, still a little bit of tilt on the screw. I ended up with Dremel the nut trap deeper and viola !

Thanks !

Ew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login