Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware update problem

Posted by ntroufan 
Firmware update problem
January 17, 2014 09:02PM
Hello,
I am trying to update the Arduino Due firmware as prescribed on the reprappro website but with no luck. ( I am on a mac)
When I type a command into the terminal to run the firmware upload through 'bossac' i get an error message 'no such file or directory'
This is the command i run:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=tty.usbmodemfa141 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R

bossac is in the correct directory and the firmware .bin file is in my downloads folder.

What am I missing here?
Re: Firmware update problem
January 17, 2014 09:16PM
hi,

before key in the command, did you proceed with cd downloads ?
I put the firmware bin file on desktop, and type cd desktop before /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=tty.usbmodemfa141 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R

hope this help.
Ew
January 17, 2014 09:30PM
Thanks for quick reply! I moved the file to the desktop and ran the command with the cd to desktop and it worked. Thanks again!
January 17, 2014 10:49PM
Hi,

A different firmware update problem on a 27"iMac;

[localhost:/Applications] bill% /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=dev/tty.usbmodemfd131 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R
No device found on dev/tty.usbmodemfd131

tried all variations of the modem ports listed in system info (usbmodemfd131 and usbmodem24680241) with cu or tty or dev/cu or dev/tty in front - same result.

Any ideas?
January 18, 2014 12:03AM
Hi Ozeng,

I'm using 27" iMac (late 2013 version) and it works without problem

Make sure your USB name are correct. I open arduino software, and when I choose port and I can see all Bluetooth serial ports and also USB ports name. Copy the correct USB name from there and apply into command.

I don't know if USB driver need to be installed for this , but I did installed FTDI driver for Mac , that was for my previous arduino projects.
You might need to search for FTDI driver for Mac and install it. Hope this help.
Ew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 12:05AM by tru168.
January 18, 2014 01:32AM
Thanks for the lightning response! Communication with arduino via usb worked fine before I erased the firmware, and I did use the literal port name that was in the arduino port menu, so I might have to wait for Reprap to respond next week.

Cheers

Bill
January 18, 2014 01:50AM
All my port names as shown in aguino tools/port menu start with /dev/cu or /dev/tty; is that significant do you think? Is yours the same?
January 18, 2014 02:21AM
Yes, mine shown with cu and tty, I can't remember which one I used, but no harm try both. Should work . I don't know if FTDI driver helps but mine already installed months ago.

Ew
January 18, 2014 02:49AM
good, but does it have "dev" as well? Trouble with this is that the syntax has to be perfect to work, and the reprap instructions are too vague.

Can you tell me the whole command you used?

(I used /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=dev/tty.usbmodem24680241 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R)

Thanks
January 18, 2014 04:11AM
Hello, I am a happy user of Italian Ormerod.
I note that the firmware (57a) has a small stop and the printed results to be worse with the filaments.
Have you noticed this problem?
My connection is via USB the G file is loaded the micro SD card.
(Sorry for the English language is translated by google).
Thanks.
Marco
January 18, 2014 04:14AM
hi,

I checked my record ( I recorded down each step I've done for future reference ) and here's mine :

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=tty.usbmodem1411 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R
January 18, 2014 04:21AM
Thanks again, I did too. With this many unknown variables, you have to keep records...

BUT! how was it shown in your port menu in aguino??? with all the slashes? i.e /dev/tty.usbmodem1411?

Sirry to be a pain, but every character counts.
January 18, 2014 05:12AM
I don't know if I can help here, I never used a mac...,
but I think I also had this problem on my Linux machine.

When I plug the USB cable in a Windows machine,
I can start the Bossac upload after just a few seconds.

But when I plug the USB cable in my Linux machine,
it can take up to 40 seconds for it to see the device!

When it is not ready yet, I get the same "device not found" message,
and when I keep on insisting that it should try to upload the firmware,
it suddenly sees the device and starts to upload the firmware...!?

About the slashes: I *think* Bossac is smart and adds /dev/ if you don't add it...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 05:28AM by 3D-ES.

RS-Online Ormerod #263, Kossel mini with Minitronics, Prusa i3 MK2
January 18, 2014 05:20AM
I was testing this on Thursday night, so I could update the instructions! With the Duet connected via USB, from the terminal, send:
ls /dev/cu.*
It should respond with
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port	/dev/cu.usbmodem1451
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
This lists the ports that the Mac can see (all ports are listed in /dev/), that start with 'cu.'. You need the one that starts 'usbmodem....'. Use this in the bossac command.

The firmware update worked fine for me under OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), and showed up afterwards correctly, so I could connect to it in Arduino IDE and Pronterface. But on an older Mac running OS X 10.6.8, the Duet only showed up when the 'erase' and 'reset' buttons were pressed, and disappeared after the firmware was flashed (the flash worked correctly - checked on the other Mac). I think this is because it doesn't show up as a 'USB Modem' in System Preferences > Network, which is suggested in the Arduino Mac OS X instructions: [arduino.cc] and (not specifically for Due/Duet): [arduino.cc]

I can't seem to add it after first connection. Any observations/feedback on this would be useful.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 05:21AM by droftarts.
January 18, 2014 05:38AM
Thanks, both of you.

Ian, the first part works, I get:

/dev/cu.BillRaynersiPhone-Wirel /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/cu.usbmodem24680241

I'm running 10.7.5 (Lion)

No go on the rest though, with and without / before dev, I get:
[localhost:/applications] bill% /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=dev/cu/usbmodem24680241 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R
No device found on dev/cu/usbmodem24680241
[localhost:/applications] bill%
[localhost:/applications] bill% /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=/dev/cu/usbmodem24680241 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R
No device found on /dev/cu/usbmodem24680241

Another thing that's happened since starting all this fiddling with the innards (IK'm a mechanical engineer and don't generally get involved with software) is that every time I plug the usb cable into the Mac, it opens an app. I installed years ago and haven't used since; EyeTV. Does that mean anything? I restarted, and it still does it.

Thanks again. i'm pretty isolated here in oz, the replacement duo card took a week, I'm hoping soft awe will be quicker.

Cheers

Bill
January 18, 2014 05:46AM
You have put
dev/cu/usbmodem24680241

should be
cu.usbmodem24680241

You shouldn't need the 'dev' part, it knows it's a port it's looking for

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 05:48AM
Also, I don't think the EyeTV thing is relevant. Mine thought it was a keyboard the first time it plugged in, but then shows up in the Network preferences as a USB Modem.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 06:38AM
I appreciate your precision but:

[localhost:/applications] bill% /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=cu.usbmodem24680241 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R
No device found on cu.usbmodem24680241

I'm off to bed.

Cheers
January 18, 2014 06:47AM
Hi Ian and ozeng,

I was running 10.6.8 until after Christmas, and found the whole thing a little frustrating: Resetting the duet or disconnecting the usb cable required a restart of the mac for the port to re-appear (I don't use command lines on the mac, or avoid them anyway so didn't try the ls command, but neither Arduino, pronterface nor repetier host showed the usb port in their lists after a duet reset, until I restarted). I looked for utilities that might refresh the USB without needing to restart, but got nowhere. Maybe this problem also affects 10.7 (lion).

I updated to the (thankfully) free 10.9 Mavericks that you're also using and have no issues on this connecting to hosts and I can reset away to my hearts content without having to restart the mac (though I find it easier to flash my firmware on a PC, where i have the path and the flashing command in an editable text file that i paste into the dos box - editing in the appropriate COM port as needed)

Ray
January 18, 2014 06:49AM
I think this might be something to do with your path. I was a bit puzzled why your terminal output starts with
[localhost:/applications] bill%
Whereas mine is just
Ians-MacBook-Pro:~ Ian$
So you probably DO need to put it in as
/dev/cu.usbmodem24680241

Otherwise, I don't really have an answer for you at the moment. Perhaps a bit of googling about localhost?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 07:01AM
Also, you DON'T need the FTDi drivers; they are for older Arduino devices that have a separate chip for USB to Serial comms. The Due/Duet has this on board the chip.

@Ray: Great, thanks for the feedback. Maybe the Arduino drivers are only compatible with 10.7 and higher, though this is quite odd - most drivers are compatible further back. I'll open an Issue on the Arduino github, try and find out if there's a version compatibility problem.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 07:06AM
Ian I think it might be a mac issue rather than an arduino one - the port shows up fine until the duet is reset, and the mac seems to then purposefully ignore it until you make it look again by restarting the mac (that's my naive take on it anyway)
January 18, 2014 03:59PM
Thanks for all of that, I'll update to 10.9, but I'd have thought there are plenty still running 10.7.5 like me.

Another thing that might be significant is that I followed this instruction "Once installed, in the Arduino application folders there is an application called bossac." before reading that I didn't need bossac. I installed it and dragged the .dev files into the requested spots. I later reinstalled arduino in case this was the problem. By the way, the port list has never changed from the first time I connected to the original card with the dodgy usb soldering.
January 18, 2014 04:32PM
On 2nd thoughts, I'll wait a while. Reviews of os 10.9 on the apple site are appalling. Worst of all they say it's turning into ios which frequently makes me want to throw my iphone out the window. I've spent 4 days on this so far, so the UP plus2 looks good at present, although a bit small for my needs.
January 18, 2014 05:01PM
I've been putting off upgrading OS X for a while, but bought a new MacBook Pro recently with 10.9 on it. I don't see a big difference between 10.7/10.8/10.9. Though I've been using 10.6.8 for ages!

Did you look at the localhost suggestion? Are you logging in with an account that doesn't have full privileges?

Otherwise, install Windows or Ubuntu/Mint on boot camp/virtual machine? Got another machine you can try it on?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 05:52PM
I run solidworks on a good HP workstation, but I''m reluctant to plug it into anything experimental. Windows is horrible complicated to fix, so I play it safe.

I don't know what the local host thing means; I'm logged on with administrator privileges. I put the firmware .dat file in the applications folder (bare, not in another folder) and did a cd /applications command in Terminal, and that's what happened. How do I change it?

On another tack, I ran Bossa (headed: "flash programmer for Atmel SAM devices") standalone and it looks pretty straightforward. You can get it to auto scan or select from the list. I did both, no luck - "ERROR could not find a device" and "ERROR could not find a device" on cu.usbmodem24680241". I think that's the best tool to test this don't you think? Fewer variables.
January 18, 2014 07:02PM
No, I had no joy with the bossa application under Mac OS X 10.6.8, and rayhicks tried it under OS X 10.9 and Windows XP, and it didn't work for him. We both got the same message as you. The standard Arduino Due has 2 USB ports, one 'native' port and one 'programming' port (see 'Programming' here [arduino.cc] ); the Duet just has a 'native' port. I suspect that the BOSSA program expects to see the programming port.

I'd have thought if it was a privileges problem, from putting the firmware .bin file in the Applications folder, you would get a different message. However, it may be worth moving it to the Desktop, and cd'ing to that folder - you have the full path for the Arduino application, so it doesn't matter where you have the firmware file, so long as you cd to the same directory.

Finally, you have pressed 'erase' then 'reset' on the board, haven't you?!

I'm sorry I can't work this one out. I have seen your email too, but as we're dealing with it here, it may help to get other people's opinion.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 07:14PM
OK, back to basics. I trashed EyeTV, then I used the mac system information app to look at the usb hub, and sure enough, when I plug the usb into the duet I get this:

Communication Device:

Product ID: 0x6124
Vendor ID: 0x03eb (Atmel Corporation)
Version: 1.10
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0xfa130000 / 5
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

see attached screenshots for full picture.

BUT! there is now no plain usbmodem port listed in the ports list of bossa or arduino just 2 blutooth and iphone wireless

Does this help?
Attachments:
open | download - USB hub dat with duet plugged in.tiff (211.2 KB)
open | download - USB hub dat wo duet plugged in.tiff (182.9 KB)
January 18, 2014 07:23PM
Ah! I did think that the usbmodem number looked a bit odd...

Disconnect the Duet. Open your Network Preferences. Is it locked? If so, unlock it. Reconnect the Duet, and you *should* get an unconfigured USB Modem port, as per the Arduino instructions: [arduino.cc]
It's possible you need to restart with the Duet connected to boot it into life, which is what rayhicks has to do, I think. That might force it on my OS X 10.6.8 Mac, but I don't have a Duet with me this weekend.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 08:06PM
Did that, wasn't locked (never is). Reconnected duet, no change, restarted with duet attached; no change.

The mac can see the ports, but the apps you use can't. System info.app network tab shows two usb modems:

USB Modem:

Type: PPP (PPPSerial)
Hardware: Modem
BSD Device Name: usbmodem24680241
IPv4:
Configuration Method: PPP
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
Proxies:
FTP Passive Mode: Yes
Service Order: 0

USB Modem 2:

Type: PPP (PPPSerial)
Hardware: Modem
BSD Device Name: usbmodemfd131
IPv4:
Configuration Method: PPP
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
Proxies:
FTP Passive Mode: Yes
Service Order: 1

In system prefs both these are shown as not configured.
Btw I normally have a small usb modem in one of them as a phone dialer, but have removed it for now.

Any more ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login