Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware update problem

Posted by ntroufan 
Re: Firmware update problem
January 18, 2014 08:28PM
So are you saying that these two are listed in the Network Preferences? But nothing comes up when you send 'ls /dev/cu*' from the terminal except your Bluetooth x 2 and iphone wireless?

The second USB Modem usbmodemfd131 sounds much more like the normal port numbers I see. The other one has the same id as the 'EyeTV' port. Arduino Serial Monitor and Pronterface won't see the port, because it isn't showing as an Arduino, because it has no firmware on it. The only thing you can do is flash the firmware, as it's already been erased.

I'd be tempted to delete the USB Modem ports that show up in Network Preferences (if they do). Then restart, then connect the Duet. According to Arduino, that should make a new modem port. But I'm guessing now, even more than before.

It's possible that the USB socket has died on your board. By now, you'll have put the USB cable in and out a fair few times. Most of the Duets were sent out with only 2 of the 4 legs soldered, so it's quite possible to pull the small connections off the board. If you want to send me your address and RS order number (by email), I'm happy to send you a replacement Duet. I'll even flash it with the latest firmware before I send it.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 18, 2014 08:35PM
Ah, just realised we sent you a new board on the 9th... Did you get it yet?

And... I now realise this must be the new card, as the USB socket broke off the last one.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 08:37PM by droftarts.
January 18, 2014 08:55PM
Could it be a usb cable problem? The supplied cable is very tight, while my kindle cable goes in really easily. the duet lights go on with both cables but are there other connections that may be open?

Really clutching at straws now.
January 19, 2014 01:36AM
Sorry, I missed your 5.28PM reply. I've answered your questions below.

It seems we agree on a possible cause though, although how can you explain this:

Communication Device:

Product ID: 0x6124
Vendor ID: 0x03eb (Atmel Corporation)
Version: 1.10
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0xfa140000 / 5
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

which is present ONLY when the duo is plugged in? Only if that response is possible without all connections being intact.

Re terminal request:
Last login: Sun Jan 19 11:47:25 on console
You have new mail.
[localhost:~] bill% ls /dev/cu
ls: /dev/cu: No such file or directory
[localhost:~] bill% cd /applications
[localhost:/applications] bill% ls /dev/cu
ls: /dev/cu: No such file or directory
[localhost:/applications] bill%

Re; "I'd be tempted to delete the USB Modem ports that show up in Network Preferences (if they do)." They do exist (see attached), and I'll try that.

Cheers

Bill
Attachments:
open | download - Modem ports.tiff (116.3 KB)
January 19, 2014 02:12AM
Ok, I deleted both modems, restarted and plugged duet in but no usb ports appear in the prefs (see attached)
But, we still have this in system info:
Communication Device:

Product ID: 0x6124
Vendor ID: 0x03eb (Atmel Corporation)

So the mac can see the duet, if only by name.

I would very much appreciate another card, with latest firmware. I will email my details although you shouldn't have sent too many to Annandale, Australia since xmas. I hope!

I will use the gentler Kindle cable so as not to disturb the delicate connections next time.

If you have any ideas while the card is in transit I'll be happy give them a run.

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - Arduino sketch window after openng serial monitor.tiff (62.7 KB)
January 19, 2014 06:35AM
It does sound very similar to the problems I was having under 10.6.8, though I *did* get a port in /dev/ once I'd pressed the 'erase' and 'reset' buttons on the Duet, but didn't after the firmware had flashed. This made it feel like an Arduino driver problem to me, but I don't know enough about the driver to fix it. The board works correctly under 10.9, and on Windows and Linux. It could be the lead or USB socket (check all 4 pins are soldered on the USB socket), but like you say, why would you get a listing in the System Profiler?

Sorry, apart from trying it on another computer, or from a Boot Camp installation, I'm stumped! I don't think running a Virtual Machine install of Ubuntu would help, as the port wouldn't be passed on from the host OS.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 19, 2014 03:50PM
Ok, I'll install Mavericks. How do I check for dry joints on the usb socket? tt seems solid on the board, but that's only due to the body pins.
January 19, 2014 04:48PM
I don't think you'd get a response at all if it has a break in the USB socket. But while its okay, solder up all four mounting pins, if they aren't already.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 19, 2014 08:13PM
Ok, I installed mavericks - no change except that bossa and arduino can now see the usbmodem24680241 port (usbmodemfd131 didn't come back)

So please send me another card, preferably with the latest firmware.

Cheers

Bill
January 21, 2014 01:30AM
There are 5 soldered connections on the duet board apart from the grounding/support ones (see attached pic of my 1st board) - I don't have the gear or skills to resolder them.
Attachments:
open | download - USB DUET connections.jpg (296.5 KB)
January 21, 2014 02:16AM
ozeng
There are 5 soldered connections on the duet board apart from the grounding/support ones (see attached pic of my 1st board) - I don't have the gear or skills to resolder them.

Well that doesn't look good sad smiley

Well sad to say its lost one or two pads which are used for the D+ and D- data lines pins 2 and 3 so the USB would no longer work.

It is fixable by scraping off some solder resist on the tracks leading to the missing pads, put some solder on them then re-solder the USB socket back on(solder the four mounting pins first to hold in place, then solder the 5 pins), but this will be an issue due to not having the means to resolve this issue.
I would wait to hear what Ian says about it, it may be a covered by a warranty replacement.

By the way what is that white stuff on the board?

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 21, 2014 04:28AM
Sorry TMD, that comment was meant for Ian. The picture was of the card delivered with the kit; I now have a replacement card which seems to be giving problems as well. My point was that it's impossible to see if the solder is making contact with the data tabs as they are under the socket.

The white bits could be flux or remnants of the solder carrier, assuming the solder is printed on before going into the oven - or am I out of date on the pcb soldering technology?
January 21, 2014 05:15AM
Hi ozeng

Yes, I've ordered you a new Duet, should go out today. I guessed that this was your first card. I'm not sure that the two small vias either side of the ground pad are significant - there's no pin on the USB socket that connects with them. There are two tiny lugs on the bottom, but they don't line up with the visa, and I have no idea if they are supposed to. Yes, it is impossible to see if the solder is making contact with the data tabs, or if the track/pad has lifted, unless you have a microscope and are prepared to flex the socket, which may damage an otherwise working socket.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 21, 2014 06:24AM
Thanks for that Ian, I'll get back to some real work and tackle the Ormerod in a week.

The replacement board had the two frame lugs through and soldered, the first had the lugs bent back, presumably by a misaligned placement jig. Four lugs would definitely be better as two only protect against bending in one direction, so the data connections have to take the load. Contractors.

Judging by the pain that results, maybe a minute spent per unit with a big lens would be worthwhile.

Cheers

Bill
January 28, 2014 12:51AM
Ian,

The new card arrived, initial connection worked fine, ports showed up as expected, checked everything was as it should be (and did screenshots), M code tests fine (apart from one thermocouple o/c). But the M115 got: "invalid M Code: M115", so the new firmware hadn't been installed! (why?). So I followed the instructions on updating the firmware again: same problem exactly. And the port has vanished again.

[Macintosh:/applications] bill% ls /dev/cu.*
/dev/cu.BillsiPhone-Wirel /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.usbmodem24680241
[Macintosh:/applications] bill% /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=/dev/cu.usbmodemfa131 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R
No device found on /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131

[Macintosh:/applications] bill% /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=dev/cu.usbmodemfa131 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014.bin -R
No device found on dev/cu.usbmodemfa131

Attempting to open serial monitor gives "Board at /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131 is not available" and pressing the "copy error message" gives: "Arduino: 1.5.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Due (Native USB Port)"

We clearly have a procedure problem, unless I've had 3 bad cards. Are you assuming programming knowledge that is not obvious to a non-programmer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 01:35AM by ozeng.
January 28, 2014 05:56AM
Hi ozeng

Sorry for the continued problems. You know from the forum thread that I have tested the firmware updating, and the problems that I had with various versions of Mac OS X. So it's still not clear to me what the problem is with your Mac, which I think you updated to Mac OS X 10.9?

Sending boards with outdated firmware IS annoying, and our manufacturer has been given specific instructions MANY times to put the latest firmware on the boards, but persists putting the initial firmware on. However, we will need to get the firmware updating correct for you, or you will ultimately fall behind in features as the firmware progresses in the future.

I have two potential command line changes for you to try:
1. Leave out "--port=/dev/cu.usbmodemfa131 -U true". This version of the command does not force the USB port, leaving bossac to find the correct port automatically. I have not been able to test this myself (I'm working from home, and without a Duet), but it has been reported that this works.
2. Leave out "-R" from the end of the command. It may be the reset at the end of the flash happens too fast. Manually reset a few seconds after the flash has finished. Again, I haven't been able to test this. This is actually the most likely problem, I think, as the board shows up after 'erase' then 'reset' has been sent, but not after the firmware flash, so something is clearly going wrong during or just after the flash.

So, please could you try:
1. Disconnect USB, turn off ATX power, disconnect ethernet, eject SD card.
2. Plug in USB. LED light next to USB connector should turn on. Wait for 10 seconds.
3. Press 'erase' button on Duet board. Release, then press reset button on Duet board.
4. Open a Terminal window. cd to the directory where the latest RepRapFirmware is. (This should be an extracted zip of the WHOLE firmware repo, obtained by pressing the 'Download ZIP' button on the right hand side of the page here: [github.com] )
5. Send the following command (change the firmware file name to match the firmware you have):
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-XXX-DD-MM-YYYY.bin -R

or if that doesn't work:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-XXX-DD-MM-YYYY.bin

If it still doesn't work, have you tried the other USB ports on your Mac?

For reference, here's a list of the man page for bossac, from the version on my Mac:

Ians-MacBook-Pro:tools Ian$ ./bossac -h
Usage: bossac [OPTION...] [FILE]
Basic Open Source SAM-BA Application (BOSSA) Version 1.3a
Flash programmer for Atmel SAM devices.
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 ShumaTech (http://www.shumatech.com)

Examples:
  bossac -e -w -v -b image.bin   # Erase flash, write flash with image.bin,
                                 # verify the write, and set boot from flash
  bossac -r0x10000 image.bin     # Read 64KB from flash and store in image.bin

Options:
  -e, --erase           erase the entire flash
  -w, --write           write FILE to the flash; accelerated when
                        combined with erase option
  -r, --read[=SIZE]     read SIZE from flash and store in FILE;
                        read entire flash if SIZE not specified
  -v, --verify          verify FILE matches flash contents
  -p, --port=PORT       use serial PORT to communicate to device;
                        default behavior is to auto-scan all serial ports
  -b, --boot[=BOOL]     boot from ROM if BOOL is 0;
                        boot from FLASH if BOOL is 1 [default];
                        option is ignored on unsupported devices
  -c, --bod[=BOOL]      no brownout detection if BOOL is 0;
                        brownout detection is on if BOOL is 1 [default]
  -t, --bor[=BOOL]      no brownout reset if BOOL is 0;
                        brownout reset is on if BOOL is 1 [default]
  -l, --lock[=REGION]   lock the flash REGION as a comma-separated list;
                        lock all if not given [default]
  -u, --unlock[=REGION] unlock the flash REGION as a comma-separated list;
                        unlock all if not given [default]
  -s, --security        set the flash security flag
  -i, --info            display device information
  -d, --debug           print debug messages
  -h, --help            display this help text
  -U, --force_usb_port=true/false override USB port autodetection
  -R, --reset           reset CPU (if supported)

We are trying to get this right, and make sure everyone can update the firmware, so everyone can reap the benefits of updated firmware.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 30, 2014 08:49PM
Thanks for trying Ian, but none of that worked. And I don't have the coding skills to use the commands in the above list. Although, if bossac has an "erase flash" command, why do we use the buttons on the board? Basically the erase and reset buttons delete the usb port and so bossac can't talk to the duet. Too late for me now, but could lead to a solution.

I can't afford to spend any more time on this. If someone can put the new firmware on a board and send it to me I'd be able to use it while the software problem is sorted.

I would really appreciate getting something for my time and money after all this effort.

Regards,

Bill
January 30, 2014 09:03PM
ozeng
Basically the erase and reset buttons delete the usb port and so bossac can't talk to the duet

Pressing erase and then reset causes the comms USB port to disappear, and the programming port to appear as a different port. At least, this is what happens when running Windows or Linux. The comms and programming ports use different device drivers - the comms port is a fairly standard serial-over-USB emulation, while the programming port is something else.

EDIT: deleted that last bit because I am not sure of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 04:01AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 30, 2014 09:14PM
Thanks dc42,

does that mean I can fabricate an address from the one that used to work, namely: /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131 ?
January 31, 2014 04:06AM
ozeng
Thanks dc42,

does that mean I can fabricate an address from the one that used to work, namely: /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131 ?

I don't know. Isn't there some way you can enumerate the devices attached to the Mac?

You might like to google "arduino due mac programming problem" or similar (note "due" not "duet", because the Duet board is based on the Arduino Due). I did and found this thread: [forum.arduino.cc] (not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 04:06AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 31, 2014 04:18AM
Another suggestion.

1. Disconnect Duet from Mac.
2. Load Arduino IDE.
3. In Tools->Board select "Arduino Due (native USB port).
4. In Tools->Port see what port names are available.
5. Connect Duet to Mac and give it a few seconds to start up.
6. Re-select Tools->Port and see what additional port name is available.
7. Exit Arduino IDE
7. Try the bossac command with that port name.

January 31, 2014 05:49PM
Thanks dc42, but you can't "select "Arduino Due (native USB port)" because the port is deleted when you press the erase and reset buttons on the duet.

Yes, the terminal command "ls" lists all usb ports, like this (before erase/reset):

/dev/cu.BillsiPhone-Wirel
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
/dev/cu.usbmodemfa131
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
/dev/cu.usbmodem24680241

and then this after erase/reset:

/dev/cu.BillsiPhone-Wirel
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
/dev/cu.usbmodem24680241

The same happens with the reprap apps. and a more general search of the /dev directory ( ls /dev/*) can't find usbmodemfa131 either

However, the system information network DOES show the port before and after erase/reset like this (with the duet unplugged and after restarting the mac):

USB Modem:

Type: PPP (PPPSerial)
Hardware: Modem
BSD Device Name: usbmodem24680241
IPv4:
Configuration Method: PPP
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
Proxies:
FTP Passive Mode: Yes
Service Order: 0

USB Modem 2:

BSD Device Name: usbmodem24680241
IPv4:
IPv6:
Proxies:
Service Order: 1

USB Modem 3:

BSD Device Name: usbmodemfa131
IPv4:
IPv6:
Proxies:
Service Order: 2

So, have I configured this port incorrectly???

This looks promising.
January 31, 2014 06:10PM
I don't know if it's any help, but have you seen this on page [arduino.cc]:

>>
Installing Drivers for the Due

OSX

No driver installation is necessary on OSX. Depending on the version of the OS you're running, you may get a dialog box asking you if you wish to open the “Network Preferences”. Click the "Network Preferences..." button, then click "Apply". The Due will show up as “Not Configured”, but it is still working. You can quit the System Preferences.
<<

January 31, 2014 08:07PM
Yes I have. i created 'modem 3' for the purpose and used the defaults, which worked as it should have until pressing erase and delete.

Note that when the new board arrived, its usb port appeared again without me doing anything. This means that the communication problem is on the board and/or the reprap software bundle, not the computer.
February 01, 2014 04:15AM
Very strange. Two suggestions:

1. Have you eliminated power supply issues? The 3.3V regulator on the Duet board is very marginal when the Duet is powered only from the USB port. I don't know what sort of a mac you are using, but especially if it is a laptop, the USB power could be marginal.

2. Do you have a friend with a Linux or Windows computer who could try programming the Duet?

February 01, 2014 06:45PM
All this has been covered earlier in this thread I'm afraid. Arduino cannot see the Arduino Due (native USB port) after the erase and reset buttons have been pressed; end of story.

Thanks for trying. I hope I don't have4 to wait another month to get this thing working.

Cheers

Bill
February 04, 2014 03:26PM
Hello Everyone,

After updating the Duet-Board, the board is noticed as bossac programming device and I'm not able to connect to the Board with the arduino Ide nor with pronterface.
So my question is how can I change the driver from bossac programming device back to arduino due.
Thanks in advance
February 04, 2014 04:06PM
If the Duet is showing as the bossac programming device, that means that you have not used bossac successfully to program it. When you run bossac, if it runs succesffuly you should see something like this:

C:\Users\David>C:\Arduino-1.5.4\hardware\tools\bossac.exe --port=COM12 -U true -e -w -v -b C:\Users\David\Eclipse\RepRapFirmware\Release\RepRapFirmware.bin -R
Erase flash
Write 170900 bytes to flash
[==============================] 100% (668/668 pages)
Verify 170900 bytes of flash
[==============================] 100% (668/668 pages)
Verify successful
Set boot flash true
CPU reset.

C:\Users\David>

February 04, 2014 04:39PM
thanks for the answer dc42,
the same resulte i also get but the board stays on bossac programming device.
I tryed it again, it was sucessfully but still stays on as an bossac programming device.
Attachments:
open | download - screenshoot.png (53.7 KB)
February 04, 2014 05:12PM
You appear to have downloaded the wrong file (the one you are programming is much too short). Probably, you have downloaded the html page that describes the RepRapFirmwarexx.bin file instead of the file itself. Download it again. This time, follow the link to the file, then press the Raw button.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 05:13PM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login