Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware update problem

Posted by ntroufan 
Re: Firmware update problem
February 05, 2014 06:54AM
Thanks allot, dc42 now the printer is working. You saved me lots of frustration.
February 07, 2014 08:40PM
In case anyone was wondering what happened since my last post; I gave up on using the mac to upgrade the firmware and used an old win box, which worked! Then I tried the web interface which did bizarre things but working was not one of them. Ian did his best trying to untangle too many variables, for which I am very grateful.

So after over 50+ hours spread over more than a month, I concluded the end result would never be a machine I could rely on to produce prototypes on time. I sent it thing back to RS. After much research I ordered a fully assembled dual head Makergear M2 running on Simple3D software which hopefully arrives this month. Both suppliers owe the reprap community heaps of course but apparently commercial gain seems to be needed to make everything work reliably and harmoniously.

I thank all the reprappers and open source people who have helped me and wish you the best of luck. i will watch with interest how things pan out.

Regards

Bill
February 08, 2014 09:27AM
Just trying to update to DC's latest firmware, and I am consistently getting 'No device found on COM3' - three times now
1. Had not run the printer at all, connected up the USB, checked in Device Manager which said Arduino Due on COM3. Ran bossac, got that messge
2. Fired up Arduino serial port - connecting through COM3, sent M115 and reported back 057g firmware.Shut down Arduino. Ran bossac, got that messge
3. Fired up Pronterface (only worked after I got rid of that line 300 edit in printcore) - connecting through COM3, sent M115 and reported back 057g firmware.Shut down Pronterface. Ran bossac, got that messge.

Clueless of Rowlands Castle

Ormerod #17
February 08, 2014 10:08AM
Before you run bossac, you need to press the Erase button on the Duet and then the reset button. Then check Device Manager again - you will probably find that the port number has increased by 1.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 10, 2014 03:03AM
You are so right DC.
COM3 had clocked up to COM4. Definitely need to check AFTER the erase and reset.
Now to run your 057m - I like the new heater PID
Greg

Ormerod #17
February 10, 2014 08:30AM
Yip, I did the update yesterday for the first time, it was on com6 on my machine as a serial port. After the erase and reset, it became some other device, usb modem I think on com17! Used bossac to flash it on that port and then it was back to com6 as a serial port. If I had not watched the serial ports under device manager, I would have figured I had trashed it.

Now my machine is behaving weird with the latest update, can't seem to get it to G92 Z0 for some reason. One more thing to go figure out....

Dieter

February 10, 2014 11:18AM
dieterzar
Now my machine is behaving weird with the latest update, can't seem to get it to G92 Z0 for some reason. One more thing to go figure out....

Which firmware are you using, and what happens when you try G92 Z0?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 11, 2014 07:16PM
ozeng
In case anyone was wondering what happened since my last post; I gave up on using the mac to upgrade the firmware and used an old win box, which worked! Then I tried the web interface which did bizarre things but working was not one of them. Ian did his best trying to untangle too many variables, for which I am very grateful.

So after over 50+ hours spread over more than a month, I concluded the end result would never be a machine I could rely on to produce prototypes on time. I sent it thing back to RS. After much research I ordered a fully assembled dual head Makergear M2 running on Simple3D software which hopefully arrives this month. Both suppliers owe the reprap community heaps of course but apparently commercial gain seems to be needed to make everything work reliably and harmoniously.

I thank all the reprappers and open source people who have helped me and wish you the best of luck. i will watch with interest how things pan out.

Regards

Bill
Bill, it's a shame to hear that - but probably the sensible choice after your frustration. I've never had luck updating through the Mac, and initially had problems even connecting after restarting the duet (these went away for me after updating to OS X 10.9, but I still use a PC to flash). The inbuilt web interface is pretty basic and unreliable, and I've come to solely depend on Repetier Host on the Mac for printer control and printing (it may also work for your new machine) - when I get round to it I still plan on giving iamburney's web host a shot (so that my colleagues can access the printer too tongue sticking out smiley), it's looking very functional. My Ormerod is definitely producing good prototypes now, but still with some frustrations (not related to the machine itself or communications anymore, more the 3D modelling and slicing currently).

Hopefully the package you've bought will get you up back on track quickly,

Good luck,

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login