Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different Power Supply?

Posted by adsoftware 
Different Power Supply?
January 19, 2014 08:05AM
I'm not sure if I like the ATX power supply because it's so noisy. For another project I'm using the 200 watts version of this Thing, which is totally quiet.

Would that any hurt the Duet? I believe, I could skip the power PCB as well and connect directly to the Duet provided I feed the 5V over USB.

Does anyone know the maximum power consumption of the Omerod with all heating and motors and electronics on?

Thanks all.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 08:09AM by adsoftware.
Re: Different Power Supply?
January 19, 2014 08:15AM
Check the output on 12V for the PSU; it needs to be at least 20A. We use those sort of power supplies on our Mendel kits (http://www.reprappro.com/documentation/RepRapPro_Tricolour_power_supply), but wanted a more consumer-friendly supply for the Ormerod. You are free to use any PSU you like, of course!

The Duet should be able to be powered from 12V (it's all we use of the ATX supply, currently), just put a jumper on JP9 (5V_EN), which converts 12V to 5V for the board logic. Unless you have one of the first 220 Ormerod kits, that is; see: [forums.reprap.org]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 19, 2014 08:16AM
Have a look at this post for a discussion on PSU's
[forums.reprap.org]

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
January 19, 2014 12:06PM
adsoftware
I'm not sure if I like the ATX power supply because it's so noisy. For another project I'm using the 200 watts version of this Thing, which is totally quiet.

I've bought the 300W version of that to power my Ormerod. The 250W version would probably have done, but the 300W version cost me only £1 more.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 19, 2014 10:51PM
1£ for extra 50W , why not ?! Although 250w seems adequate, power supply will run happily with a little bit more spare power.
January 20, 2014 07:59PM
adsoftware

Would that any hurt the Duet? I believe, I could skip the power PCB as well and connect directly to the Duet provided I feed the 5V over USB.

Does anyone know the maximum power consumption of the Omerod with all heating and motors and electronics on?

Thanks all.

ATX power supply, noisy???
The extruder fan must be deafening you to death then!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login