Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod - First Print - Crash

Posted by PaulHam 
Ormerod - First Print - Crash
January 19, 2014 04:05PM
So my first print crashed halfway through.

Any idea why? All looked well till that point. Here is a video of the final moment.

[youtu.be]

I am re printing it now. Fingers crossed! its nearly at the same part.

Cheers
Paul
Re: Ormerod - First Print - Crash
January 19, 2014 04:43PM
You might like to look in the Electrical section of my unofficial Ormerod troubleshooting guide at [forums.reprap.org].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 19, 2014 04:51PM
Thanks

So we are thinking electrical interference. ill try using printer and the laptop from the same strip. if it happens again ill look into cause 2

Cheers
Paul
January 19, 2014 05:06PM
Hi, I've built mine in my free time here at work on a ship.
There's more RF floating around here than enough (Radars, Radios, Mobile Phones....the list is endless).
I had a similar thing happen to me on my first print here.
It was printing well. I Had the control software up on screen, and it was printing from SD card.
It just stopped in mid track for no reason. The Temp on the Extruder fell away, and I thought the plug connection
above the extruder was to blame. Then as I was watching it, the temp suddenly came back up on the extruder, and the printer
continued to print from where it had stopped....
No idea why...
Kim..
January 19, 2014 05:09PM
KimBrown
Hi, I've built mine in my free time here at work on a ship.
There's more RF floating around here than enough (Radars, Radios, Mobile Phones....the list is endless).
I had a similar thing happen to me on my first print here.
It was printing well. I Had the control software up on screen, and it was printing from SD card.
It just stopped in mid track for no reason. The Temp on the Extruder fell away, and I thought the plug connection
above the extruder was to blame. Then as I was watching it, the temp suddenly came back up on the extruder, and the printer
continued to print from where it had stopped....
No idea why...
Kim..

Hi Kim

How long after did it start working again?
I had the camera recording at the time and i noticed it about 15 mins after it stopped. it didnt come back to life even though i was wishing it would sad smiley

Cheers
Paul
January 19, 2014 05:51PM
There's quite a few other reasons, apart from PSU quality problems, that you should consider first...
  1. Number one is usually temperature readings; if the Duet receives a number of false temperature readings in a row, it stops. Check the temperatures reported; do they look okay? Check wiring.
  2. If you're printing from USB, rather than copying from SD card, did the computer go to sleep? RF shouldn't effect an SD print, though can effect a USB print.
  3. How are you powering the 5V side of the board? From ATX or USB? Power drops on either side will cause problems.
  4. Check the power connections. Are the ATX connectors plugged in fully? Check the 12V power cable. Did you put the crimps on it, or tin the wires? Bare wires won't provide a good stable connection. Check the screw terminals are done up, and connections are good.
  5. THEN start considering if things are faulty!

There's probably a few I've forgotten...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 19, 2014 06:01PM
It was about 3 or 4 minutes. During which time I was wiggling that connector just above the Extruder as I've got my doubts about it.
In my case it might have been the connector, as it came back to life then.
I might (?), do away with it and solder the wires permanently to the head. It will be a bind if I ever want to take the head off, but I'd feel happier
about it.... (A thought in progress I guess).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 06:02PM by KimBrown.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login