Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r Help Please

Posted by KimBrown 
Slic3r Help Please
January 20, 2014 08:28PM
Hi, I'm new to all this, but learning fast.
Ok I've got a step closer but if you look at the picture you'll see my gear isn't going to cut it.
I have two problems.
1) the in fill (you can see through it. So I stopped it).
2) is a printer setting problem I think, in those stray full on strands that haven't stuck in the holes.

If any one has a working gcode of the extruder drive gears could you attach them please, as I'm sure if I don't get them printed soon I need them when I can't print them.

I know the printer is good as it's printed some really good prints. So its my slic3r settings, and temps.
Thanks
Kim..
Attachments:
open | download - Gear Fail.jpg (331.5 KB)
Re: Slic3r Help Please
January 21, 2014 03:15AM
The Official slic3r settings for the Ormerod can be found here [github.com], you need to copy these to the right place so slic3r can find them, this varies depending on which operating system you are using its all explained here [www.reprappro.com].

I'd suggest trying a lower head temp, lots have found success between 180 - 190ish, also the retraction (reverse extrusion) on moves, is set to 1 mm most have increased this to at least 2.5mm, I also found it useful to increase the size of the skirt before printing to ensure the filament is flowing before the first layer starts.

hope this helps

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 21, 2014 03:51AM
It looks to me that your first layer wasn't put down properly. Some suggestions:

1. In the slic3r settings, increase the number of skirt loops to 3 and increase the distance from print to skirt to a larger value, say 20mm. This gives the printer more time to get the filament flowing properly, which is needed because of the bowden-style extruder.

2. Watch carefully as the first layer is put down. If it isn't extruding and the extruder gears are stuttering, then you have the nozzle too close to the bed at z=0.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 21, 2014 04:13AM
Hi Kim!

Does your printer seem to stutter?

Are you printing from SD, or are you using USB?

Firmware versions since 11-01-2014 contain a fix for the stuttering,
are you sure you are running an up-to-date version of the firmware?

You can use gcode M115 to see the currently installed version.

If you are running on older firmware, you also need to update Pronterface.

See this message for more information.

RS-Online Ormerod #263, Kossel mini with Minitronics, Prusa i3 MK2
January 21, 2014 04:24PM
Hi 3D, sorry I wrote a reply, but must have closed the window before sending it.
The Firmware is dated 16th Jan 2014... Sorry can't get the exact details as its printing at the moment.
No it doesn't seem to stutter. Yes I'm printing from the Laptop, and it's fine.
Had transfered stuff over to the SD card before to print, but it works fine from the Lappy.

I printed a full gear wheel out after Ian kindly suggested some settings. I thought the temp (which was 205') was altered to 190' when I sliced it, but it hadn't saved the temp. So the print was at 205'. The gear wheel is nearly ok....The hex hasn't formed properly, and there are lines (gaps) either side of each hole. Just looking now as it's printing at 180' and while it's looking better it's still got the gaps. I think now I need to look at the in fill settings.
Kim.
Attachments:
open | download - 20140121_200018 Nearly good gear.jpg (115.9 KB)
January 21, 2014 04:45PM
Nice Kim. Perhaps just a little light on the extrusion. But would make a lovely earring, perhaps! Just don't let the captain see you wearing it...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 21, 2014 05:43PM
angry smiley (Earing........)

Someone asked if the printer seems to stutter in one of the threads. At the time I said no, but the perimeter is a series of bloby dots, not a smooth circle..... I'm using the 16th Jan 2014 firmware.
The second gear print was very similar to the first.
I'm printing the smaller gear now, with a Fill Density of 0.7 instead of 0.4
January 21, 2014 05:51PM
Have you set your filament diameter (in slic3r filament settings) to 1.75mm (or the amount you measured)? I recently deleted my defaults and forgot to set it back to 1.75 (it defaulted to 3.0) and I got weird printing until I noticedsmiling smiley
January 21, 2014 06:00PM
Hi Ray.... I'm at work onboard ship at the moment. Don't laugh but the smallest Vernier I could find was 2 foot long....
Yep its spot on 1.75... I have just upped the fill density from 0.4 to 0.7, and doing the small gear now.... It's looking good.
January 21, 2014 06:04PM
Kim, are you printing from SD card, or over USB? Because it does look like its pausing to me; ie at the end of every straight line, it stops. This does happen when sending the data to print over USB, because you need to make a change to Pronterface (as worked out by dc42, and only available if you did the 'Advanced' Pronterface install in Commissioning):
Edit file printcore.py in the Pronterface directory. Look for the statement "self.clear = False" at line 300. Comment this out with a single # character at the start.

I'll remind Jean-Marc (again, he's been rather busy recently) that we need to update and compile our 'easy' install version of Pronterface, to enable this, and to have the extra Duet features.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 06:05PM by droftarts.
January 21, 2014 06:30PM
Hmmmm looks like I did the easy install.... I'll re-install it after this print.
Oh YES BTW...Using the USB.
The small gear I printer just now was rubbish, no flat in the hole either. In fact the center is hardly held by anything.
I upped the Extrusion Multiplier to 1.1 to see if that would help....

OK, I'll scrap this print. Transfer the file to SD, and re-install the software....Thanks...
K..
January 21, 2014 06:41PM
I printed some gears last night and had similar issues.

January 21, 2014 08:26PM
Hmmmmm ok.... Well searched for the advanced setup as Ian suggested, but it needs compiling in python I think.
So given up. I've put the g code on SD and the printer is as smooth as silk now...
Ok so it doesn't like printing from USB. No problem. BUT
Don't use Pronterface to Upload your files, cos it doesn't work. I tried and ended up with zero length files, or files that were much smaller than the original.
It is so much faster and smoother on the card... Not jerky like it was when using USB...
Kim
January 21, 2014 08:36PM
Here's the result of printing from the SD card.
Great quality. Flat ok in hole...
But hole not attached to gear...... Grrrrrrrrrrrr!angry smiley

Bed time got an audit tomorrow....Yippee!

Could someone send a g code file please that they know is ok, then I can try printing that, as I'm sure it must be Slic3r troubles.
I'll try a 100% fill tomorrow.
Good Night..
Kim..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 08:54PM by KimBrown.
Attachments:
open | download - 20140122_012414 small gear.jpg (322.6 KB)
January 22, 2014 03:46AM
KimBrown
Hmmmmm ok.... Well searched for the advanced setup as Ian suggested, but it needs compiling in python I think.

If you've followed the instructions in the advanced setup, then under Windows you can right click on pronterface.py in Explorer, click "Open with", and browse to python.exe or pythonw.exe in your C:\Python27 directory.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 22, 2014 05:01AM
Here is a gcode file from which I've just printed the small gear. It's set for an extrusion factor of 0.95 which works well for my Ormerod.

Attachments:
open | download - small-gear-p95.gcode (483 KB)
January 22, 2014 08:30AM
Hi DC, thanks again for the small gear g-code.
It's proved the point I think that I have setting wrong in side Slic3r.
The circle isn't quite a circle, so I need to look at my belt tension I think, not the fault of the machine, and the gear is very nearly perfect just two tiny holes (maybe I'm being picky). I think the temp of the extruder needs to be lower by 5-10' maybe, but I could use this gear..... smileys with beer

OK, so would you be able to send me a copy of the ini files you used for Slic3r please.
I was using Slic3r 0.99 (I think) but they have just upgraded the software so it version 1 now.

Still waiting here for the dreaded auditors..... So playing while I wait.

Kim..
Attachments:
open | download - 20140122_124559 near perfect gear.jpg (238 KB)
January 22, 2014 08:58AM
Here are my standard slic3r files. The 429b one is filament, 2kb one is print, 930b is printer. I am using version 1.0 RC2. Extrusion factor is set at 0.95, but as you have two holes in the gear, 1.0 may work better for you. I had two small holes in exactly the same places when I reduced the extrusion factor to 0.90.

Attachments:
open | download - Ormerod-0.5.ini (429 bytes)
open | download - Ormerod-0.5.ini (2 KB)
open | download - Ormerod-0.5.ini (930 bytes)
January 22, 2014 09:03AM
Your a Diamond DC..... Thank you very much....
hihihihi hopefully I'll be go to go after using them....

Kim
January 22, 2014 09:46AM
@dc42
'under Windows you can right click on pronterface.py in Explorer, click "Open with"'

I did a right click, and sent pronterface.py to the Desktop
When I click on the Descktop icon Pronterface is up and running in no time.
I assume .py got assigned to python.exe when it was installed.
Anyway, it is now a one click solution
Greg

Ormerod #17
January 22, 2014 10:21AM
Hi Greg, thanks I'll fish around and find the file in a minute...

I'm chuffed to bits here, as the printer has just printed the large gear sliced using DC42s settings and it's perfect....
The hex in the hole is nice and sharp, it's as good as the gear that came in the kit....

Thanks again guys... We've cracked it.... hot smiley

Kim
Attachments:
open | download - 20140122_150258 perfect large gear.jpg (103.4 KB)
January 22, 2014 12:10PM
KimBrown
I'm chuffed to bits here, as the printer has just printed the large gear sliced using DC42s settings and it's perfect....
The hex in the hole is nice and sharp, it's as good as the gear that came in the kit....
Kim

Look like the cats meow, congrats!

A tip to get the gear perpendicular to the screw, and to "set" the screw, it's imho important to "set" it right so the "drive thingie" don't get any chance to move whilst reversing the filament
drill a 3 mm hole i a block of wood as deep as the length of the screw in a drill press
place the bolt in the gear over the hole
drive it down with a small rod and a hammer, give it a good whack
gear now runs perfectly true

Erik
January 22, 2014 06:50PM
PaulHam
I printed some gears last night and had similar issues.

Hi guys.
After some playing tonight I've still not got any further with mine. I've printed the z gear 3 times now, one with the normal ormerod slic3r settings from GitHub. One using dc42's settings and another when I put the extrusion multiplier up to 1 (instead of 0.95) on dc42's settings

All look basically the same and with hollow teeth like the picture I attached previously.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul
January 22, 2014 07:18PM
I haven't had anything like that on mine, but I have had problems when editing slic3r settings and the print doesn't change (the ones you edit aren't necessarily the ones you end up using) - if you're always getting the same results, it might be worth checking that the currently selected settings for slicing are the new ones you're hoping to use (it's annoying you've got to select three different sets of preferences, but I guess it's a feature), and that you're actually reslicing and using the newly produced gcodes for the new print (you can check the first few lines of the gcode files to make sure that they have updated info).

I doubt this helps, but it may be worth checking,

Ray
January 22, 2014 09:40PM
Hi Ray, I installed the ini files that DC42 kindly uploaded further up the thread. You have to install all three files as they each alter a subsection of the Slic3r's settings. I've found like you that if you alter a setting it may not be used when Slicing. It seems to be because you have to save them before slicing after you have altered them. Try using his ini files further up the thread, as I've had perfect results every time since then, and now have a complete set of spare gears printed.

Kim
January 22, 2014 10:20PM
Hi Kim - thanks - I was suggesting those things to PaulHam, I forgot to invoke his name at the start of my replysmiling smiley He's having similar problems to you and had used dc's settings to no avail, so I was suggesting that he check that he'd actually applied the settings to the current slicing.

Glad to know that it's not just me who's fumbled over slic3rs interface though winking smiley

Cheers

Ray
January 22, 2014 10:33PM
Oh it was driving me nuts Ray... I have a bald patch to prove it....
I knew the printer was good, because I could print the example G code files ok, but every time I sliced... No good.
Being new to it all, left me fumbling around. I'd installed the default Ormerod ini files, but for some reason they don't seem to work here. In the end I had to ask for help.

I'm wondering if we can print on an Ally sheet instead of the taped glass. In which case the IR probe might work better as it's shiny.

Right bed time for me I think.... Brain hurts thinking about to much stuff here. One idea is fine.... Two ideas overload the one cell processor as it can't multi task late at night, and it shuts dow.................ZZZZZzzzzzzsmileys with beer
January 23, 2014 03:29AM
Can I point out that the slic3r settings I posted are for slic3r 1.0 RC2, and that these settings are probably not compatible with pre-1.0 versions of slic3r, judging by the warning messages you get if you use the standard Ormerod files with this version of slic3r.

January 23, 2014 04:44AM
Thanks ill have a go later, so I need to save the settings before exporting as gcode!
January 23, 2014 05:59AM
PaulHam
Thanks ill have a go later, so I need to save the settings before exporting as gcode!

I think "before exporting the gcode" would be a more correct way to put it
The .ini file is what gives the program its special personality, tells it what You wan't it to do, btw, I do not know if it reads the ini on wakeup only or each time it export a gcode, for safety I do not touch any ini file of an open program

Erik
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login