Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface & Firmware Wish List

Posted by KimBrown 
Pronterface & Firmware Wish List
January 22, 2014 11:06PM
Would it be possible to set some of the buttons up to read a section of a Config file please
so that we could enter commands we get bored with typing in entered at a touch of a button...
(e.g. I use a feeler gauge to zero my head each time I print so I am for ever typing G92 Z0.1)
And better still be able to set the button text with something meaningful to use like "Zero Nozzle".

Knowing my luck it already does something like that, and I've missed it...

Also when things go PEAR SHAPED on the table, (a part gets knocked over, dies of old age, and goes South for the Winter
or the nozzle is digging a rival for the channel tunnel), Could the Firmware actually respond to an ESCAPE
command please... Pause seems to get paused till it suits it to accept it, and Reset seems to work after it's
finished reading the front page of the Sun (no make that the Mail....The Sun only has pictures)...

A STOP button that did just that and raised the nozzle would be great...

Thanks..
Kimhot smiley
Re: Pronterface & Firmware Wish List
January 22, 2014 11:46PM
Yeah, wish Pronterface can support late 2013 iMac too. I still can't use pronterface in my new Mac
January 23, 2014 02:54AM
Hi Kim,

I have done a quick search on the forum about your issues,
and I am confused about the current state of your problems...

Please correct my statements where I am wrong:

- You can start pronterface and it runs without problems.
- You can connect to the printer and the connection is stable.
- You can not upload a file to your printer, are you using short filenames? (8.3 format)
- You can not print smooth using the USB cable, have you editted the file printcore.py?

If you are using Pronterface, you can add frequently-used-command buttons... Does this work?

The really long wait time for the pause function is also one of my annoyances...
It hurts to look at a printer that is trying to destroy itself while you told it to pause!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 02:54AM by 3D-ES.

RS-Online Ormerod #263, Kossel mini with Minitronics, Prusa i3 MK2
January 23, 2014 03:39AM
The delay in responding to a pause command when printing from USB is unfortunate, and is caused by the buffering in the USB subsystem, coupled with the Pronterface patch to get USB printing working properly and SD uploading working at a reasonable speed.

I'm thinking of adding a Pause button on top of the Duet enclosure. This would immediately stop the print, raise the head 10mm, and turn off the heaters. Then ignore incoming commands until some specific command is received (e.g. a home command, or M115) that indicates the user is back in control.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 23, 2014 04:48AM
dc42
I'm thinking of adding a Pause button on top of the Duet enclosure. This would immediately stop the print, raise the head 10mm, and turn off the heaters. Then ignore incoming commands until some specific command is received (e.g. a home command, or M115) that indicates the user is back in control.

Would it be possible to store the current X,Y,Z positions when the button was pressed (possibly temps and feeds as well), stop processing the Gcode buffer, execute a predefined 'safe retract' (and filament retract), then (say on a second button press) return to the stored positions and carry on processing the GCode?

That would be quite a useful feature - like a Tool Recovery Program (TRP) on CNC machines of yore.

Possibly only work when SD printing if there's no handshaking on the USB comms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 04:50AM by markm.

Mark

Ormerod #350
January 23, 2014 09:06PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.... This topic had scrolled off the page and I thought it had been deleted...
Pronterface runs ok..... I have noticed that sometimes if I go out of it, then come back in later it won't find the print, or the temps freeze, so I reboot and that fixes it. The connection seems fine.
OK Printing from USB is Jerky... for hide nor hare I can't find the printcore.py file (I'm running windos 8.1 BTW)
I'm using the version already compiled, I didn't compile it, so I don't know if that file was ever here....
If I click on Extrude (25mm) it's jerky....
I tried to send a gcode file over USB..... waited and waited for it to finish uploading, then did a second file.
Ran the print, and it did next to nothing. Powered down, unplugged USB, SD card put in Laptop...
One zero length file, and one file that was half length..... and yet the files seemed to go across intact.

Firmware 57... Just had my first printer freeze tonight...... sad smiley

I don't like that once printing starts, I can't instantly pause it, or reset it.

On the reset subject.... Does that clear Z0 settings?

I appreciate that the machine is in Beta, but I don't think it should have been put on sale without it basically working properly.
The problems I experienced with the Slic3r settings (the Ormerod one's that were sent out being wrong), and now the freezing
together with a table that's basically unstable is starting to make me wish that maybe I should have saved up and bought a proven machine. The table I think I can fix, but that's going to be at my cost. The SD card that it shipped with wasn't tested it seems, as it's rubbish, so I've had to replace it at my cost. A control box that used to fall apart when you looked at it...(I did a mod for this if you look)....Now, I'm getting hacked off with it.
Why not do a temp no thrills lite version of the firmware, with just the basic movements and extruder control, and work on the rest in the background till it's proven. Comment out the Ethernet section so it comes alive quicker as we HAVE to have the USB connected any way, so why have it, and put the IR probe on hold for now. Now it's started freezing, I have no faith in it, and it's becoming a very expensive paper weight. Yepp....Hacked off sums it up....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 09:45PM by KimBrown.
January 24, 2014 03:42AM
Kim, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. The Pronterface patch can only be applied if you use the non-precompiled version. The web interface works quite well if you use the latest firmware and Matt's web interface files, see [forums.reprap.org]. As supplied, the z-probe only works well when there little or no direct sunlight or incandescent artificial light. If this is no good for you, use longer screws to level the bed manually (which I think is worth doing anyway) and set Z=0 manually at the centre of the table before each print. With component changes on the sensor board it works better, and with modulation it works better still. I know RRP is working on a modulated sensor board too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 04:36AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 24, 2014 04:01AM
KimBrown
...On the reset subject.... Does that clear Z0 settings?

Yes no memory on wakeup, you will have to home ZXY again

Erik
January 24, 2014 04:30AM
Ah, you are using the precompiled version...

There are currently 2 Pronterface releases in use:

1. The easy all-in-one file installer release you are using now that cannot print smooth.
2. The harder install-multiple-parts-yourself release that contains the file printcore.py.

To be able to USB print smooth, you will have to use the second one...

I think installing the second one is tough, even though I am used to fight Windows.

If you like adventure and have enough free time and energy, I will try to help you install it!
You can also wait for RepRapPro to release an updated version of the all-in-one installer...

Installing is described on this page:

Download the following, and install in this order:

[python.org]
    [pypi.python.org]
    [downloads.sourceforge.net]
    [pypi.python.org]
    [pyglet.googlecode.com]

For the last one, you will need to unpack it, open a command terminal, go into the the directory you unpacked it in and run:

python setup.py install

If I click on Extrude (25mm) it's jerky....

That one is new to me..! Do you mean that the stepper steps, stops, steps, stops...?

I tried to send a gcode file over USB..... waited and waited for it to finish uploading, then did a second file.
Ran the print, and it did next to nothing. Powered down, unplugged USB, SD card put in Laptop...
One zero length file, and one file that was half length..... and yet the files seemed to go across intact.

What was the name of the file? Does it work when you rename the file to "test.g" ?
The system currently only supports short file names: 8 characters (dot) 3 characters.

Firmware 57... Just had my first printer freeze tonight.....

The only reasons I have read on the forum are "Wipe on retract" in Slic3r,
or problems usually due to a bad USB connector / cable. (interference?)

Switching a device on or off that is near the printer / wall outlet might trigger it...

I don't like that once printing starts, I can't instantly pause it, or reset it.

On the reset subject.... Does that clear Z0 settings?

I have not used that reset function, but if it resets the printer like the reset button,
that could easily overwrite the current position of the X, Y and Z with a zero value...

I appreciate that the machine is in Beta, but I don't think it should have been put on sale without it basically working properly.

The first instructions, software and hardware were a bit rough, but they are working hard on it.
I think it *is* basically working properly, and that there is good progress making it even better.

We are paying the early adopter fee here, but I expected that and don't mind...

Before buying this kit I had been looking at other printers, and they all have difficulties.
The printers that are easier to use and build were always more expensive than this one!

I have to say I have had my ups and downs with this kit,
as long as there are high ups after the downs I don't care.

My problems:

My X roller bearing was too small, heat shrink tubing fixed that.
My prints did not want to stick to the table, 70% alcohol fixed that.
My system started crashing after 2 weeks of use, a new cable fixed that.
My fan failed, but I could easily order a new one and install it without trouble.
After that my X bearing suddenly slipped out of the print head, duct tape fixed that.
After that my Z home sensor suddenly started scraping the print halfway the job...
After that ... who knows? grinning smiley

It's an uphill battle that I am going to win, this printer is here to stay! smiling smiley

Defeat is momentary - Defeat only comes when you give up - Winston Churchill

January 24, 2014 04:56AM

2. The harder install-multiple-parts-yourself release that contains the file printcore.py.
I use this version, but agree it's not an easy route for those who like a simple install.
Couldn't someone do a compile and have this as a temporary or beta version that can be simply downloaded and run?

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
January 24, 2014 05:12AM
They are working on it, but it probably needs some time...

January 24, 2014 06:13AM
The problem is that changing Pronterface to support Duet breaks Pronterface for our existing customers using Melzi electronics with Mendel and Huxley printers. The fix (a switch) does not seem to be entirely straightforward. The easiest course is to have two pre-compiled versions, of course, which is what I think we're going to do. I just need to get our programmer to compile it, and upload to github...

For USB printing, there is an alternative; as rayhicks has pointed out, use Repetier host, which has a switch for flow control. Ray, can you remind me what the switch is named, and where it is?
However, Repetier host doesn't have the Duet 'extra features' such as config.g upload option.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 24, 2014 06:23AM
If you have internet network connection near printer then getting the iamburny web interface working is definitely worth it. You can easily be put off by trying to make the original one work with all its foibles but the new one makes it easy.

I have the ,py version of pronterface but now only use it if I want to update config.sys or the web htm itself. All normal control can be done from the browser.

This is a big feature of the Duet and now the new web interface makes it a reality.
January 24, 2014 08:28AM
OK sorry about the Rant, I think I was over tired and fell off the step learning curve that this project requires.
'A new day, and a refreshed hope at getting on top of some of this'.

Thank you 3D, yes I had set 'wipe on retract' for that print... I've turned it off now, so that will be the reason for the freeze.
I've just managed to print the Z-Nut-Trap without a freeze.....
(It was the last straw last night, but now I understand why..... I'll get back on with the project in hand.. If someone had offered me £20 for the machine last night they could have had it...And I would have given them change..).

The Uploading of files, I think the Penny has dropped.
(I Sliced a file using Slic3r, altered the name to 8 letters, but left the extension Slic3r had put. i.e. .Gcode. That would have messed up the 8.3 naming and the machine didn't like it so the files got messed up. However, it doesn't seem to mind Gcode extensions when you place the files on the SD card via the card adaptor). So now I'm aware of the problem.

3D Quote

I had a feeling that was the case..... But I was pulling my hair out when people were saying 'you must have it'.....

Hmmmmm ok, I'll try the harder route later, and try to get my programming head back on (I'm sure this will give the Spiders and Cobwebs something to think about). Yes I would like some help with the install if I get stuck, but I'll have to fit it around work so will be playing with it later... I used to do allot of programming years ago, so I'll enjoy the puzzle..Thank you very for you offer of help.

Kim..
January 24, 2014 08:37AM
KimBrown
Thank you 3D, yes I had set 'wipe on retract' for that print... I've turned it off now, so that will be the reason for the freeze.

If you or anyone else can come up with a small wipe-on-retract example that always freezes using 0.57a firmware, then I'll take a look at the firmware. I've already seen some possible candidates for where the problem may be.

January 24, 2014 09:12AM
@dc42

Have you seen this message, and does it contain the information that you need?

January 24, 2014 09:23AM
3D-ES
@dc42

Have you seen this message, and does it contain the information that you need?

I've seen that, but that example doesn't freeze when using 0.57a firmware.

January 24, 2014 06:12PM
Hello, I managed to find sometime to install Python2.7 (I already had Python3.?? but hadn't looked at it) and have been running
PronterPrinter via it successfully. I edited the line 'self.clear = False' and put the hash in, but when I tried to print it was jerky.
I'm wondering if another driver might be upsetting it if that fix works for everyone else (I'm using Windows 8.1 BTW).

Where can I find the source code for the Firmware please....

Kim..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login