Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing layer in 10 microns

Posted by markbee 
Printing layer in 10 microns
January 23, 2014 05:00AM
Just a little show off winking smiley what's possible with the Ormerod. I printed a cube with 20mm height and changed the layer thickness on different heights. It went down to 10 micrometer and imho looks quite good. It just gets a certain pattern when printing below 0.06mm.

(The photo is distorted in the preview but ok if you click it)

Markus

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
Re: Printing layer in 10 microns
January 23, 2014 05:10AM
eye popping smiley

Congratulations! We're in the process of fine tuning speeds and accelerations, as well as Slic3r settings, which will improve your corner blob issue.

Ian
January 23, 2014 05:16AM
Hi Markbee that looks good, I am wondering if its possible to just print the outside layers at 10 microns to improve the finish, it would mean 24 loops around the outside then infill with 240 microns.

Ormerod No 128 the half Byte
January 23, 2014 05:24AM
Yes, there's a setting in Slic3r to do that. See 'Infill every n layers' here: [manual.slic3r.org]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 23, 2014 05:26AM
Hi Mickyblueeyes,

at least for Skeinforge there is a "Skin" plugin with which you can adjust the settings for the outer walls. I don't know how to do that with slic3r at least for now.

Markus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 05:27AM by markbee.

January 23, 2014 05:30AM
Hi Markus- pretty neatsmiling smiley maybe the z is struggling at 10 and 30 (full steps from the motor give 4 micron lift),, it would be interesting to see if you still get the patterning at 8 or 12 and 28 or 32 microns...

Cheers

Ray
January 23, 2014 05:32AM
Hi thanks markbee and droftarts I will give it a try when I have finished rebuilding my unit, ill post a separate topic for what I am changing later. lots of ideas but limited time.

Ormerod No 128 the half Byte
January 23, 2014 05:34AM
Hi Ray,

yes that might be the reason and my fault of course. I just cut in half every layer height but should have thought of the full steps as it can be calculated here .

Markus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 05:34AM by markbee.

January 23, 2014 06:31AM
Is this ABS or PLA?
At the moment I have too much to print, and parts are too large, to try this but it looks impressive.
To put things into perspective I print 240microns (0.24) layers and today I am printing a part that is going to take 13hrs... so even at 60 microns I am looking at 2-3 days to print...
January 23, 2014 06:59AM
Hi arnaud31,

it was PLA. Printing finer layers might be an option if parts at certain heights may have to be finer in resolution. With slic3r you can define certain heights to be printed in different layer height than the default.

Markus

January 23, 2014 09:41AM
markbee
Hi arnaud31,

it was PLA. Printing finer layers might be an option if parts at certain heights may have to be finer in resolution. With slic3r you can define certain heights to be printed in different layer height than the default.

Markus

I need to explore this a bit more. Some of the parts I print are large (see mylink) and sometime only need fine surfaces at specific heights.
I have also tried to print the perimeter fine and infill thicker layers but it failed. It is probably because I still use an old firmware and the printer might not have been able to move up by only 120microns in Z.
Very interesting anyway!
January 23, 2014 01:06PM
arnaud31, it may well be because your firmware is/was old - when I print (since the firmware fix) at 0.1mm I infill every two or three layers and it works very well (and it's quicker than infilling every layer at the same height as the perimeter for sure).

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login