Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

10mm Deep fan

Posted by Mickyblueeyes 
10mm Deep fan
January 23, 2014 09:45AM
Hi Due to the fan making spurious noises I decided to find a replacement, the fan I have chosen is only 10mm Deep and will allow the duet enclosure to be mounted back to its original position.

Part number from RS is 492-4326.

According to the data sheet it has a life of 500,000 hours due to the ceramic bearings the Flow rate is specified as 12.2m3/hr in the catalogue but 5.26 litres per min in the data sheet, noise level 33db so not the quietest.

I should point out that my heatsink has thermal grease on it and I think this will make a difference to performance.

I currently have the hot end at 205 degrees and the heatsink and mounting screws are both at approx. 35 degrees.

I havnt tried this at abs temperatures but when I get some I will try it.
when switching off with the hot end at 205 the heatsink temp rises only slightly due to the thermal mass of the hot end being quite small and the hot end providing only a small transfer of energy

I tried to add a deflector at the input end but this makes the fan a lot noisier so I need to try a few different designs to cure this, the backwash doesn't seem as bad as the original fan but I cant measure it.

Ormerod No 128 the half Byte
Re: 10mm Deep fan
January 23, 2014 10:41AM
Mickyblueeyes
I tried to add a deflector at the input end but this makes the fan a lot noisier so I need to try a few different designs to cure this, the backwash doesn't seem as bad as the original fan but I cant measure it.

The original louvred deflector I tried made the fan noisier, but the one I eventually printed - see [forums.reprap.org] - makes the fan quieter I think. I deliberately chose a number of blades that is different from the number of fan blades.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 23, 2014 11:39AM
Hi dc42 that was along the lines I was thinking as it was your modified deflector I chose, unfortunately having spent hours modifying it I now realise the new fan has 9 blades, I modified it to take the screws at the bottom but as with anything I do on Sketchup I spent more time repairing the file because of its poor stl import routine.
Maybe I need to go back and modify the original as I have a lot more depth to play with.
January 23, 2014 11:43AM
Mickyblueeyes
Hi dc42 that was along the lines I was thinking as it was your modified deflector I chose, unfortunately having spent hours modifying it I now realise the new fan has 9 blades, I modified it to take the screws at the bottom but as with anything I do on Sketchup I spent more time repairing the file because of its poor stl import routine.
Maybe I need to go back and modify the original as I have a lot more depth to play with.

Either that, or pick up my openscad files and modify them. I hadn't used openscad before, but I found it very easy to modify the original design.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login