Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Out of Curiosity (Rover)

Posted by Radian 
Out of Curiosity (Rover)
January 27, 2014 04:57PM
I printed This Thing to see how Ormorod would cope with printing the deck with no support. Hang the 45' overhang rule, this thing spans 40mm in mid air!

View from below (wheels and carriers were printed separately)

Deck looks pretty flat from above:

How the heck did it manage that !?!?

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
Re: Out of Curiosity (Rover)
January 28, 2014 04:17AM
WOW!
Amazing feat and quality, shows what can be achieved.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
January 28, 2014 03:20PM
Awesome!

What software do you have used for slicing?
Can you please share the various parameters (temps/speeds/retract/layers/...)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 03:21PM by aesuli.
January 28, 2014 04:57PM
Nothing special, 0.24mm stock settings supplied by RRP for Ormorod-0.5 (i.e. 1mm retraction only)

I really only wanted a quick print to see how the 40mm unsupported overhangs would work out. I haven't been able to decompose the G codes but I can only guess the design compensates for droop by flattening subsequent layers above the overhang to fill any gaps. I'm new to 3D printing so I assumed you always had to build up vertically and only go horizontal one strand at a time (45deg rule). This job seems to ignore that basic tenet.

January 28, 2014 06:33PM
The technique Is called bridging, and mostly it's taken care of by the slicing software. There are limits, but by careful tuning (you want to stretch and cool the bridge as it's formed) you can have good bridging over long distances with negligible droop. Have a look for 'bridging torture test' on thingiverse.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 29, 2014 03:06AM
Fascinating. Thanks for posting!

I have been designing everyting with something similar to the 45 degree overhang rule. If this works, it increases ones design freedom no end!

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
January 29, 2014 04:43AM
Thanks for the explanation Ian - I really ought to read all the Slic3r documentation to see what other hidden Gems there are thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login