Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3 question

Posted by Ormerod276 
Slic3 question
January 28, 2014 05:18PM
I printed out the fan duct and it ended up with the ducts filled in even though the SW model shows open slots, the stl file bought in to Slic3 showed slots in the 3d view and of course the part supplied in the original kit had open slots. I looked at the gcode and it shows that the slots are filled in so I am guessing it is something I have set in Slic3? Any thoughts please?

Regards

Chris H
Attachments:
open | download - fan duct print.jpg (30.4 KB)
Re: Slic3 question
January 28, 2014 05:25PM
Ormerod276
I printed out the fan duct and it ended up with the ducts filled in even though the SW model shows open slots, the stl file bought in to Slic3 showed slots in the 3d view and of course the part supplied in the original kit had open slots. I looked at the gcode and it shows that the slots are filled in so I am guessing it is something I have set in Slic3? Any thoughts please?

Looking at your part there does not seem to be support but check anyway that support is disabled. It looks like you are extruding too much or your extrusion width is too high. If you have left your extrusion width on default (quite fat/wide) it should nonetheless print (I printed 2 sets of spares that way).

If you are sure to have calibrated the extruder and that you have set the correct filament diameter then all I can think off is that you are extruding too hot or possibly your nozzle is too close to the plate.
January 28, 2014 05:26PM
Suggestions from someone that doesn't really know much.

Check to see if you have slic3r v1 not 0.9.9
Download dc42's slic3r ini's and try again.

I think you will get better prints.
January 29, 2014 02:58AM
PaulHam
Suggestions from someone that doesn't really know much.

Check to see if you have slic3r v1 not 0.9.9
Download dc42's slic3r ini's and try again.

I think you will get better prints.

Experience from one that knows even less

Printing the z-gear with 0.9.9 gave hollow teeth, the new version printer a perfect gear, same ini's (dc42)

My install is the RepRapPro-Printrun-Slic3r.zip on a win7 system
downloaded the new version of slic3r
deleted the old Application Data\Slic3r\ directory
deleted the content of the old Pronterface\Slic3r subdirectory
unzipped the new version same place
perfect set of teeth wohoo!

Erik
January 29, 2014 06:48AM
And then from someone who knows about as much:

Slic3r settings have to be twicked between filament suppliers (different diameters, different temperature, different texture...) and sometime between different colours of the same supplier. There is no one size fits all it seems, you would be better off understanding (testing lots of coathooks with different settings) how the extrusion works and learn to set slic3r without relying on someone else's settings (other than for inspiration, a starting point). Otherwise each time you swap supplier you may be disappointed with your print.
January 29, 2014 09:06AM
I'll second arnaud31's point. I bought quite a few 10m samples of various colours and types of filament (being under £3 each) from the same supplier, and printed out some small test parts just to have examples of what's available. Most were ABS filaments, but I was amazed at how the prints varied from colour to colour. My normal prints are all from the same reel of black ABS, and I found after printing a calibration single-wall open cube that I had to set an extrusion factor of 0.833 to get the correct print thickness. All prints with that filament were then a lot better. Most of the sample colours however seemed to extrude more thinly, and need a different setting (probably the default of 1). I also have a suspicion that lighter colours need a slightly higher hotend temperature than darker colours. Some filaments with special properties (e.g. glow-in-the-dark) extruded with a slightly grainy appearance, making a print that had fine blobs, like sandpaper. I measured the diameter of all the samples, and they were pretty much all spot-on 1.75mm, so that's not the variable.

The sample marked "gold" was a rather disgusting brown colour and nothing like gold at all, btw - would be perfect for printing joke dog poo!

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login