Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA Suppliers: South African trouble

Posted by Ingeneo70 
PLA Suppliers: South African trouble
January 30, 2014 02:21AM
Hi there everyone.

I am currently running the printer about every second that I can to print the boxes I need and so on. I fear I am running low on PLA filament and I would like some advice on how to get some more PLA filament for my printer. I have done multiple searches and the only place which can currently supply me is RS Components in South Africa. Due to RS being a bit expensive I would like to know if any other South Africans can help me with this or if there is an easy way to get PLA to my door in South Africa without too much hassle. If I run out, I will have to use RS but at the moment they also only supply 300g spools which is also not favorable to my situation of wanting to print a lot.

Thanks in advance and happy printing.

Ingeneo70
Re: PLA Suppliers: South African trouble
January 30, 2014 02:26AM
Maybe not for your actual need of Filament/ PLA but an idea for the future:

[www.filastruder.com]

Markus

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2014 04:03AM
Try these guys:

CAD House cc
Reg No 2010/108088/23
Tel: +27 (0)12 654 0559
Cell: +27 (0)72 987 4974
Fax: +27 (0)86 622 9810

Building 21 Ground Floor
Cambridge Office Park
5 Bauhinia Road
Highveld

www.cad-house.co.za
www.3d-printer.co.za
January 30, 2014 05:16AM
CAD house are out of stock until end of Feb. www.netram.co.za have just landed a massive load in Durban, to be cleared in a day or two. Yes, I am looking too. They are talking about R320 per kg + R55 counter to counter which is very cheap. I can't import it for that price from any place with current $ / R exchange. Economy of scales I guess! Madmob contacted me and found a supplier www.abs.filament.co.za and is also looking into buying in a joint deal as we are both in Cape Town. PM me.

Dieter

January 30, 2014 06:48AM
Ingeneo70

Where do you live? I am in Centurion and work in Midrand.

I now only print in ABS BUT some parts must be reprinted with ABS to handle the temperatures. ABS is problematic in the beginning, while learning how to use it, but it is a lot stronger and more durable than PLA. You can buy over the counter at Micro Robotics, CAD House (renovating it seems for the next month) and from Hans Fouche in Kempton Park (only white [www.fouchechocolates.co.za] ) to name a few. Check out [www.abs-filament.co.za] I think they might stock PLA as well.

RS is a bit on the expensive side. In SA it works out to around R2000 per kg of PLA. The average for 1kg seems to be around R300. If you talk to some of these manufacturers you will find that you can get some for even cheaper.

With PLA you have to careful what you are going to use it for. PLA is degrade-able especially under UV light (e.g. sun light). So you boxes might not last that long.
February 14, 2014 02:14AM
Hi fellow South Africans,

My head has started to sag and I would either like to replace it with ABS or with Aluminium. I am lucky enough to have a fully functional workshop with multiple CNC machines to help out. However I am a bit concerned to print the head in ABS at the moment because I think it will not make it. Do you know of anyone local selling ABS printed heads? Also thanks for the info on the cheaper filament. I have been costing the pieces I am making and they are quite expensive if you use RS filament. I am based in Cape Town

Ormerod 313
February 14, 2014 04:05AM
tracyb, are you using the original nozzle mount? If so, that is probably the cause of your head sag. The slots in it cause the PLA to lose its shape with heat and time. This modified nozzle mount [forums.reprap.org] solved it for me.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login