Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan duct too low

Posted by Ciaran_T 
Fan duct too low
January 30, 2014 06:26PM
The fan duct on the hot end of my printer sits too low and is almost the same hight as my extruder nozzle. It therefore sometimes drags along the top of the parts that I print and sometimes ruins them. I assembled the hot end exactly as explained in the ormerod documentation.

Is there a way to fix this problem?
Re: Fan duct too low
January 30, 2014 06:34PM
Sagging x carriage. I have the same.

Widen the slot for the bearing on the right side, and get a 10mm bearing instead.

I still need to widen the slot some more but the bearing helped a lot
January 30, 2014 07:06PM
Thanks for the suggestion PaulHam. I've shifted the position of that bearing and that seems to help a bit with the sagging. Also, I think I'll but some tape around that bearing to increase its diameter as a temporary fix until I get a larger diameter bearing as you've suggested.
January 31, 2014 02:38AM
I had a similar problem which I described as the extruder nozzle not low enough, so tackled from that perspective. My solution is to place 2 or 3 washers between the extruder metal mounting block and the heat insulator strip. This has worked well and I believe also provides an extra bit of insulation by introducing an air gap.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
January 31, 2014 04:26AM
See items 4a and 4b in [forums.reprap.org].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 31, 2014 06:34AM
I've just modified the x carriage, which should sort this problem for you. Have a look here: [forums.reprap.org] for details
February 01, 2014 07:07AM
Treth
I had a similar problem which I described as the extruder nozzle not low enough, so tackled from that perspective. My solution is to place 2 or 3 washers between the extruder metal mounting block and the heat insulator strip. This has worked well and I believe also provides an extra bit of insulation by introducing an air gap.

I did the above too and widened the hole for the fixing, I used PTFE strip not washers. Worked really well.
Surprising that second generation machines still have this issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login