Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filiment catching from the spool

Posted by appjaws1 
Filiment catching from the spool
January 31, 2014 06:32AM
Hi all,
This is my first post. I have printed my first items, the set up set. This print took about 3 hrs and I had to sit there and help the filament from the spool because the feeder had problems pulling the filament all the way from the spool on the control board around the back of the vertical assembly and wiring and then into the extruder feed mechanism. As the filament was being fed it seems that the power of the motor is too low to overcome the friction and snagging.

What is the correct way to run the filament from the spool to the extruder feed?
Thank you
Paul
Re: Filiment catching from the spool
January 31, 2014 07:36AM
EDIT:- I believe you have run it correctly. Thorough notches on x arm to extruder, I see nowhere else to route it. I say I have done all the suggested things to check extruder build but its worth checking your build and searching here to make sure you are all put together correct and tightly, very tight.

Did you have to feed the filament into extruder (push it through) or just keep freeing the filament from the tight loop created with the routing?

---

I have given up with the spool on the back of the duet enclosure. I had it mounted there with the filament going through one of the 3 notches on the x-arm (that appear to be filament guides ready for 3 nozzles) but the angle from here to the back of the extruder is almost right angles. As you had at some points the extruder would stutter. I had done all the suggested when putting the extruder together to make sure it could grip will but this harsh angle just seems to be too much.

From photos and posts I have seen about here many people have printed external reel holders.

Matt made a nice A-frame TinkerCAD

Thingyverse has a whole bunchReel Supports

I may get round to designing one of the following.

- An arm to extend the support of filament along the y-axis from the notch provides and gentle curve in the x to feed better into the back of the extruder.
- A reel support that can be fixed in some way to the y idler bracket feeding straight into the extruder.

The machine looks so neat with it where it is but the feed direction is just awful.

Dan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 07:42AM by FalseIdle.
January 31, 2014 08:31AM
You can increase the extruder stepper motor current if necessary, see the entry in config.g. However, most of us don't mount the spool on the back of the Duet enclosure, because you can only mount small spools there, not the 1kg spools that most of us use. I made a spool holder by cutting a couple of V-notches in a small cardboard box and putting a piece of dowel across them. Then I feed the filament from the spool direct into the extruder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 08:32AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 31, 2014 11:08AM
appjaws1
...the feeder had problems pulling the filament all the way from the spool on the control board around the back of the vertical assembly and wiring and then into the extruder feed mechanism. As the filament was being fed it seems that the power of the motor is too low to overcome the friction and snagging...
Paul

Guide it through a PTFE tube all the way?

Erik
January 31, 2014 12:36PM
Thank you for your replies. I was wondering what the extra PTFE tube was for. I have now run the filament through the tube between one of the 3 notches on the x-arm and the filament drive. It seems to work, I'll give it a good test while I print my second set of angles.
Paul
January 31, 2014 01:58PM
Oh- I´be been using snippets of that tubing when I rebuild my hot end (to line the threaded nozzle) ! I wondered why they put so much in smiling smiley

Ray
January 31, 2014 02:23PM
Hi Appjaws, if you have any cable ties on the PTFE tube then take them off. Also when you put the end on the PTFE tube did you use a drill
to open up the PTFE tube where it tends to get crushed in on the fittings as it said in the instructions. (I think it's a 3mm drill you need to use. I was supprised at how much swaffe came out of my tube.... Blow it through before re-fitting, else you'll clog up the Extruder. Just blow hard down it).

I had a similar problem but I thought I was being clever cable tieing the tube in place. The cable ties were crushing the tube, and gripping the filament. I wouldn't increase your stepper motor current until you've done all of the above.
Also you should have two PTFE tubes.... One to the extruder, which goes to the feeder, and another one that you push up in to the curved section of the feeder (it takes about 1 1/2" if I recall). The other end of this second tube, goes into, and through the slotted holes near the X axis stepper motor. I'm pointing to the slot in the picture for you.... ANy one of the three is fine... (The X axis is actualy ready machined for two more extruders, so you can use any of them for now).

If you look at my build tips thread on here, you'll see I mention how to check your Hobbed Nut is centered by looking at the filament after it's been through the feeder. Teeth type grooves on one side, and a flat on the other.

I bet you loved sitting there for 3Hrs.....
All the Best,
Kim...
Attachments:
open | download - 2nd PFTE tube.jpg (196.8 KB)
January 31, 2014 02:31PM
rayhicks
Oh- I´be been using snippets of that tubing when I rebuild my hot end (to line the threaded nozzle) ! I wondered why they put so much in smiling smiley

Ray

I must of missed a step in the instruction, so I assumed the same as you Ray.

Dan.
February 01, 2014 03:31AM
The use of the long PTFE tube to guide the filament definitely wasn't in the instructions when I built mine, the entrance hole in the extruder mount is enlarged so the tube fits nicely in and the slots in the x-arm are definitely designed for it also.

Re: the filament catching, I found that one of my ebay budget reels wasn't wound properly and had I had to assist the unwinding to prevent it tangling/knotting on the reel as the printer pulls it.

Also essential is a very very tight hobbled insert so no slipping occurs on retraction, and well drilled ends of the bowden tube where the ptfe screws into the brass ends, the filament should slide with no friction at all through the bowden tube.

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
February 01, 2014 06:48AM
It wasn't in the instructions 10 days ago either.
Thanks for the advice, I too wondered about the extra teflon tubing (and those 3 guides...)
As mentioned above, I gave up on mounting the spool on the back because it seemed at an odd angle and the 1kg spools don't fit.
To point out the obvious, there are some good designs on thingiverse for alternate cradles to suit all size spools and tastes..was the first non calibration print I did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 06:49AM by badman.teddy.edward.
February 01, 2014 07:08AM
If the tube end is flat from cutting and feels tight around the filament, don't use a drill to open the ends

Put a piece of filament inside the tube, put it on a table and carefully roll the tube under a ruler, it will expand to circle and stay that way

PTFE don't seem to have any memory at all, it must be very happy

Erik
February 01, 2014 07:21AM
Hmmmm my other brain cell (I have two.... They argue sometimes and I get a headache) must be made of PTFE.

Take a peek through my Building Tips Thread... Look at the pictures, as they might help... There's abit about checking out the feeder
in there that might help you allot.
Here's the link to the thread... If you have any good ideas then feel free to add them...
Building Tips
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login