Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

z- axis nut (long brass) supplier

Posted by Treth 
z- axis nut (long brass) supplier
February 01, 2014 03:18AM
I have found a supplier of a 12.5mm long brass M5 nut for the use on the z-axis. I haven't tried it in anger, but the fit seems good and it has about the same movement on the rod as the supplied nuts and brass nuts that I have tried.

Note. before looking at the link, I believe it is described wrongly as it is NOT barbed, so is easily missed. Mine is a continuous thread so assumed tapped from one end and can't be tapered! Beware of longer fittings of this type as they are often tapped from each end and have an untapped length in the middle.

The part (JDY01.M05) is available on ebay [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

And more details are at [www.nccsupplies.com]

Apologies if I missed any other posts on these, but hope this helps others without a workshop.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
Re: z- axis nut (long brass) supplier
February 01, 2014 04:48AM
Thanks Treth

I searched eBay after reading the thread suggesting a longer brass z nut but failed to see one.

Ordering now.

Dan.
February 01, 2014 04:56AM
FalseIdle
I searched eBay after reading the thread suggesting a longer brass z nut but failed to see one.

Yep, same here, but I'll share a trick I use sometimes, search for say "brass M5 fitting" in Google, but look at the results that are returned as images and then go to original site from those.
That's how I found this one.

February 01, 2014 05:07PM
Thanks for the link. Got some on order!

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
February 01, 2014 08:37PM
I'm still searching for one. Seems unlikely to order because I'm in Asia, but good to know the keyword to search online.

Thanks !
February 02, 2014 03:30AM
tru168
I'm still searching for one. Seems unlikely to order because I'm in Asia, but good to know the keyword to search online.
Thanks !
From the ebay link their postage price to rest of world is £3 which bumps up the cost!
But do note my comment on the 'wrong description' in your searches.

Just out of interest email sales at NCC Supplies who are probably the main UK agent, sometime if you ask for one as an individual these type of companies may do 'a cheaper deal'

Re: z- axis nut (long brass) Important Update!
February 02, 2014 08:09AM
IMPORTANT
I made enquiries with the ebay supplier but did not receive a response so followed up with NNC....

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 31 January 2014 20:30
To: sales@nccsupplies.com

Product Required: JDY01.M05 can you confirm this is a parallel thread and continuous from end to end, i.e. has been taped from one end and an M5 stud could run through this.

Hello Kevin
Thank you for your enquiry.

This product would not be suitable for your purpose

Kind regards
Richard

As it does not suggest why and my supplied part appears to work, I have asked for more details, but please be aware of this response.
I have also ordered a few more to confirm my initial findings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 08:18AM by Treth.

djb
February 02, 2014 01:09PM
You could always re-tap it to ensure the thread isn't tapered.

Daryl

RS Ormerod #299
February 02, 2014 01:45PM
I don't see any problem with using a standard brass nut, except that it will probably wear faster than a longer one would.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 02, 2014 04:49PM
Treth
IMPORTANT
I made enquiries with the ebay supplier but did not receive a response so followed up with NNC....

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 31 January 2014 20:30
To: sales@nccsupplies.com

Product Required: JDY01.M05 can you confirm this is a parallel thread and continuous from end to end, i.e. has been taped from one end and an M5 stud could run through this.

Hello Kevin
Thank you for your enquiry.

This product would not be suitable for your purpose

Kind regards
Richard

As it does not suggest why and my supplied part appears to work, I have asked for more details, but please be aware of this response.
I have also ordered a few more to confirm my initial findings.

Reply.....
Sent: 02 February 2014 21:11
Subject: RE: Enquiry From NCC Supplies Website

Hello Kevin

The reason is that you finish up with a right hand thread one end and a left hand thread the other end, and for most of our customers this would not be what they want.
But I see your point and I am glad you got fixed up

Kind regards
Richard

Well..... I think we are OK! This is clearly not correct from my understanding. It is a straight through thread, i.e a long nut that just screws on the threaded rod like a normal nut.

@dc42, agree, but elsewhere it was stated that the steel nuts will wear and a brass nut is better, but will probably wear faster and protected the threaded rod. This nut will behave the same but will wear slower (I presume) along the 1/2 inch length. Anyway seems this part is an option for anyone wanting to explore.

February 03, 2014 01:47AM
Treth

....a right hand thread one end and a left hand thread the other end....

If this is true then it must be a length adjusting nut - to adjust the total length of two rod with the nut in between, turn to one side, you pull them together, turn to the other side you push them apart

Erik
February 03, 2014 03:11AM
ormerod168
Treth

....a right hand thread one end and a left hand thread the other end....

If this is true then it must be a length adjusting nut - to adjust the total length of two rod with the nut in between, turn to one side, you pull them together, turn to the other side you push them apart

Erik

Thanks, definately not one of those, so in that case we have a supplier for a "long nut"!
M5 thread, M5 nut size, 12.5mm long and made of brass.

February 04, 2014 11:52AM
Got my repeat order from ebay supplier today and can confirm it is the same as the original supplied, i.e. hex rod approx 12.5mm long and M5 tapped, so should be good.

The part (JDY01.M05) is available on ebay [www.ebay.co.uk]

Let me know if anyone else tries these out.

February 05, 2014 06:30AM
Treth
Got my repeat order from ebay supplier today and can confirm it is the same as the original supplied, i.e. hex rod approx 12.5mm long and M5 tapped, so should be good.

Just got mine in the post. Fits fine. Well recommended mod with a stainless steel z threaded rod! Thanks for the link!

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
February 05, 2014 06:42AM
kwikius
Treth

Just got mine in the post. Fits fine. Well recommended mod with a stainless steel z threaded rod! Thanks for the link!

regards
Andy

I have seen plenty of listing but does anyone have a link to SS threaded rod supplier they have used as a replacement. Always nice to use a supplier confirmed to have quality stock.

Thanks,
Dan.
February 05, 2014 08:53AM
@kwikius, thanks for the feedback.

@FalseIdle I bought a single 12" length for £1.63 from the supplier below.
[maccmodels.co.uk]

Not sure what the postage would be as I ordered with some other parts so it was £4 p&p
It came nicely packaged with the rod against a piece of wood to prevent bending.

February 06, 2014 03:36AM
Thanks Treth

Also can confirm receipt of brass nut from linked supplier and it fits very nicely.

Dan,
February 06, 2014 06:59PM
Mine also arrived and fits beautifully - a very nice upgrade - thanks @Treth for the pointer spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 12, 2014 07:07AM
I ordered some JDY01.M05 as well but they're a bit sloppy on the original Z rod. With the original steel nut I couldn't measure any backlash at all but there's around 0.2mm with the new nut. This is measuring at the tip of the rod that hasn't been worn. Anyone else notice this?

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
February 12, 2014 07:33AM
Radian
I ordered some JDY01.M05 as well but they're a bit sloppy on the original Z rod. With the original steel nut I couldn't measure any backlash at all but there's around 0.2mm with the new nut. This is measuring at the tip of the rod that hasn't been worn. Anyone else notice this?
Hi Radian, yes I get a similar movement, but for me it is the same as I got with the original supplied steel nuts and standard brass nuts that I tried as I mentioned in the original post. I had expected less movement with the longer nut which is why I explored the part design with one of the suppliers (but their technical support did not seem to understand the part they were selling, stating it had left and right handed threads!).
I asked a mechanical engineer who I know and he said that the nut and shaft tolerances will obviously vary, but for standard threads are not that precise a fit and will have movement. If a precise fit is required the shaft is often cut slightly oversize to accommodate this, but for mass produced items you have little choice.

He also indicated that with the rod fixed at one end as used in the Ormerod a degree of movement to accommodate flexing could be good to reduce stress being transferred to the z-nut trap (half of mine had already gone!).

So sorry if the part does not meet your expectations, but I haven't found any others, it seems to be an unexpectedly rare item.

I have also tried the part on the stainless steel rod mentioned and this also has a similar movement of the nut. So for me I hope it increases the life of the nut, but do not expect any performance improvements.

February 12, 2014 09:22AM
No worries Treth - I was just looking for confirmation that the supplied part was identical to the ones other people here had obtained. IMO the original nut is an insanely close fit on the threaded rod which, while good for backlash, obviously has a serious wear issue. I have a great deal more confidence using the nut you found. Thanks for the heads-up thumbs up

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
February 12, 2014 09:44AM
Is a loose fit any issue, given that there is a constant load in one direction on the threads? ISTM that backlash in the gears or the nut-trap would be an issue, but loose threads will not result in any backlash in the Z movement so long as the Ormerod is operated upright in a gravitational environment!

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login