Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X axis problem

Posted by Tsessebe 
X axis problem
February 04, 2014 03:25PM
Hi All & greetings from South Africa,

I just finished building my Ormerod (1st 3D printer), and did the Commissioning...

Everything when 100% except that the X axis does not move at all. If I connect the X axis stepper to the Y axis it moves...

I checked and double checked all the connections, I tested the IR sensor and that seems to work, as I get different values as I move the Z Axis Up and down and send the G31 command.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'll be phoning RS South Africa in the morning to hear if the board might have to be replaced.

Regards
Re: X axis problem
February 04, 2014 03:50PM
Is the connector turned the right way around? The x connector is "upside down" compared to all the other motors

[www.reprappro.com] (bottom of page)
February 04, 2014 04:15PM
If you have the x-motor loom connected to the correct pins on the Duet and the x-motor won't move, then regardless of whether the connector is the right way round or not, it sounds to me that you have a faulty stepper driver on the Duet board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 05, 2014 03:08PM
So according to RS South Africa they cannot replace the Duet only; I have to take in the whole printer....

Not boding well. confused smiley
February 05, 2014 03:24PM
Tsessebe

Speak to RepRap support they may be able to replace it for you
February 05, 2014 04:24PM
Send an email through to us at support at reprappro dot com with all the details of the problems.

We can replace just the duet if that is the cause of the problem. You don't need to send back the whole printer.

Best wishes
Sally

RepRapPro Ltd
February 06, 2014 01:14AM
@Sally,

Thank you for the reply.
I send the e-Mail, detailing the problem and steps I took to "debug" the problem.
February 06, 2014 03:11AM
Tsessebe
Hi All & greetings from South Africa,

I just finished building my Ormerod (1st 3D printer), and did the Commissioning...

Everything when 100% except that the X axis does not move at all. If I connect the X axis stepper to the Y axis it moves...

I checked and double checked all the connections, I tested the IR sensor and that seems to work, as I get different values as I move the Z Axis Up and down and send the G31 command.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'll be phoning RS South Africa in the morning to hear if the board might have to be replaced.

Regards

I regularly get my axis confused! yawning smiley

For some reason I always think the moving bed is X (It's not though, is it?!)
Anyway, just checking you are not making the same error as me. BUT do check the microswitch end stop on the Y axis, if this is not connected properly to the correct switch pins or just not making connection this axis will not move......

Embarrassed to admit the above, but I guess I will eventually get my axis correct without thinking!!!

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
February 06, 2014 08:02AM
The axis confusion is because we usually look at the Ormerod from the direction of the X-axis arm, and think of this as the front of the printer, whereas the correct orientation from the axis POV is looking from the connector side of the Duet enclosure, which I think of as the left side of the printer. As my maths teacher used to say many years ago - you can remember that the X axis is the horizontal axis, because the letter X has the shape of a cross ("across"). Except not with the Ormerod! When I bring up an STL in Slic3r it takes me a while to figure out how the print will be laid out on the glass bed - necessary with some large prints so as to orient the print to keep clear of the clips.

Dave
(#106)
February 06, 2014 09:40AM
The correct orientation of the printer is to look at it from the Y motor end. If you look down vertically on the printer, with the X and Z motor on the left, and the Y motor at the bottom, the bed homes with the nozzle on the bottom left corner of the bed. All X positive moves move the nozzle to the right, all Y positive moves move the nozzle 'up', as if you were drawing a graph. I have to agree that I mostly look at my Ormerod from the side, and regard the side with the bed heater connections as the 'front', though!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
February 06, 2014 10:26AM
Hi All,

Quick update; so I just got home from RS Components (South Africa)...

I took in the Duet board to see if they could in fact exchange it; turns out they have no parts for the Ormerod available and do not import the parts; only the whole kits.
So as far as they are concerned I need to return the whole kit; So now I'm sitting with a ZAR11000.00 (about GBP 607.21) printer that I cannot do anything with... angry smiley

So Sally; I emailed details to the address provided please let me know what I need to do to get this resolved.
February 06, 2014 12:45PM
Tsessebe

Unfortunately, the message hasn't got out to all RS outposts around the world that warranty replacements should come through us at RepRapPro. It would be impossible for RS to stock all the spare parts in all their places around the world, and impossible for us to supply all of them - there would be a huge amount of wastage. I think long term we hope they stock the Duet board, but then it can be adapted for other purposes too, then. You can send your kit back a get a replacement, but then there is a kit that will never be used (they don't get returned to us for restocking), so it's rather wasteful.

I haven't seen an email from you to the support email account. Where did you send it? Should be: support [at] reprappro [dot] com

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
February 06, 2014 12:51PM
@Ian -
I have the email in my in-hand :-)

@Tsessebe - just emailing you about sending out a replacement

Best wishes
Sally

RepRapPro Ltd
February 07, 2014 03:42AM
droftarts
...... I have to agree that I mostly look at my Ormerod from the side, and regard the side with the bed heater connections as the 'front', though!

Ian RepRapPro tech support

Agree! This is why I was also suggesting Tsessebe checks for the correct axis. It could simply be the contacts on the microswitch not making (or using the wrong pins) as someone else reported which could remove a shipping delay and not solve the problem.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
February 07, 2014 06:34AM
Treth
droftarts
...... I have to agree that I mostly look at my Ormerod from the side, and regard the side with the bed heater connections as the 'front', though!

Ian RepRapPro tech support

Agree! This is why I was also suggesting Tsessebe checks for the correct axis. It could simply be the contacts on the microswitch not making (or using the wrong pins) as someone else reported which could remove a shipping delay and not solve the problem.

Thanks for the comments.

Everything else is working...

Extract form a mail to RepRapPro Support:
I tested the X Axis loom and all the connections are sound.
I then swapped the extruder and X axis looms to confirm if the the stepper motor is working.
When I toggled the extruder, in Pronterface, the X Axis moved (very smooth).
When I then toggled the X axis, in Pronterface, the extruder did not move; the command was send to the printer.

Swapped the wires back; Extruder Working, X Axis Not working.

I think due diligence have been taken to identify the problem, The guys/gals at RepRapPro Support have been great in supporting me with this (Thanx a alot smileys with beer)
February 07, 2014 11:15AM
To save time waiting for the replacement, you might visually inspect all the components around the stepper driver and connector to ensure they are all soldered. Many Duets have been supplied with unsoldered connections and it is usually a simple task to solder any that are bad.

Dave
(#106)
February 14, 2014 12:41PM
Haven't heard anything from RepRap Support in a Week...confused smiley
Re: X axis problem [Solved]
February 17, 2014 09:09AM
Tsessebe
Haven't heard anything from RepRap Support in a Week...confused smiley

Heard from them today board is on it's way... grinning smiley

Thank Guys/ Gals!!!
March 05, 2014 02:18PM
Ok, so Just an update....

Finally got the board (had some problems with South African Customs confused smiley).

Finished Commissioning and everything checks out! cool smiley

Busy with Axis compensation and then first prints!!

Thanks again everyone
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login