Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remote Wifi operation

Posted by Mickyblueeyes 
Remote Wifi operation
February 07, 2014 09:56AM
Anyone got any ideas how we could connect the ormerod via WIFI instead of the Ethernet option, we have many areas where we would love to use the printer without a pc but where a wired Ethernet connection is unavailable.. I know Icing on the cake but it would be very useful.
Re: Remote Wifi operation
February 07, 2014 10:13AM
I suppose you could try an 'Ethernet to WiFi' adapter? such as Amazon

But as you need a power outlet or 2 anyway, I think powerline adapters would be a better option.

Mike
February 07, 2014 10:21AM
Do a Google search for "wireless ethernet bridge". But be warned: some people have reported that they can't get the web interface to the Ormerod working when a wireless network is involved. I may take a look at this soon.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 07, 2014 10:37AM
Mykey, thanks for the suggestion I had forgotten about the powerline option I even have some I got free with something a while back so I might try that.

@ dc42 it sounds feasible as long as the ormerod just sees an Ethernet connection it should work anything more than that it seems doomed to failure at the moment.
February 07, 2014 10:41AM
Mickyblueeyes
Mykey, thanks for the suggestion I had forgotten about the powerline option I even have some I got free with something a while back so I might try that.

No worries, it's what I use smiling smiley
February 08, 2014 05:00PM
if the powerline method doesn't work out, another option is a range extender similar to this [www.maplin.co.uk] - I've been using one for general internet use around my house for a couple of years - as well as acting as a repeater for the wifi (massively extending the range compared to my home virgin broadband wireless router), mine lets you hook devices up via wired ethernet too...

Ray
February 10, 2014 08:07AM
This is a handy thing to print if you need to extend your WiFi range ...
[www.thingiverse.com]

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login