Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New filament won't stick

Posted by appjaws1 
New filament won't stick
February 08, 2014 11:21AM
Hi all,
I have just changed to a 1.4 Kg reel from ebay, I followed the link from one of the entries on this forum after they were pleased with the result.
However, when I print the skirt and first layer are not sticking.
I have not change my method of cleaning between prints I use Isopropanol. The original filament as supplied with the kit stuck really well.
I am wondering if it has anything to do with temperatures.
Any suggestions as to what temperatures to try?
Thanks
Paul
Re: New filament won't stick
February 08, 2014 11:40AM
sounds like a bit of a con, I looked on ebay for 1.4kg reels but the only listing I could find was from printme 3d, I had one of their reels it turned out to be a standard 1kg reel but they are claiming the reel holder and packaging are part of the weight, have you weighed yours?. Mine printed ok at standard temperatures but still feel conned. maybe it depends on the colour your using.
February 08, 2014 01:19PM
Which eBay supplier?

I had a similar problem with a reel of filament purchased via Amazon. In the end I gave up on it and switched to a spool from eBay (latest-bidder/Galactic Warehouse), which has been perfect.

If you want to go on using that reel, try printing on solvent pipe cement (e.g. Marley KS10) painted directly on the glass bed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 08, 2014 05:08PM
Hi dc42,

I had the same problem with another filament I have bought. I supposed that it is another sort of PLA like 4032D which will need higher temperatures and increased bed temperature to 70 degrees Celsius and extruder to 220 degrees Celsius and it was working very well now.

Frank
February 08, 2014 09:20PM
Hi,

Most of Chinese PLA came in 1KG reel and normally weights about 1.4KG with reel. most of them are classic 4032D PLA , little bit more fume than the Ormerod original one, please use a little bit higher nozzle and bed temperature, depends of what colour you purchased.
February 09, 2014 11:30AM
This filament comes in a brown box and the only markings I can see are 3D printer filament and a sticker which says PLA 1.75mm Green Sea G131104PIGS100-T.
I'll try it at higher temps but I think I have been sold a pup.
Paul
February 09, 2014 11:49AM
Hi appjaws1 I have a roll of that here unopened I will try it at my normal settings and see if it sticks.
February 09, 2014 12:45PM
Hi appjaws1 I have printed the snowman sample piece at the standard temp of 205 and 65 for the bed and it printed ok I would say it wasn't stuck to the bed as well as some other filaments I have used, for example the red from the same range stuck really well and I have used the gold and that was good too anyway pics attached.

regards

Mike
Attachments:
open | download - greensnowman.jpg (507.8 KB)
open | download - green pla.jpg (507.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login