Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?

Posted by dc42 
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
February 18, 2014 06:39PM
DanV
I was just thinking more along the lines of a plug-n-play approach that requires no firmware changes.
Run an on-board oscillator for modulation with filtering and retain the 3-wire connector without the need for a 4th wire to be added from the Duet? Just to keep it simple that's all.

That's what I will do in kits 4 and 5, hence the difference between kits 2 and 3 (which need the extra wire) and kit 4 (which doesn't0. One feature of the existing 4-wire system is that you can tell when the ambient light is saturating the sensor. I will need to provide an alternative mechanism for doing this with the 3-wire sensor, for example by returning readings in the range 0-999 when the sensor is not saturated and 1010-1023 if it is.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
February 19, 2014 02:36AM
Ooo looks fun!

Option 5 here as well please grinning smiley (posted before you listed the kit options as well, in case you double count me)

Ben
February 19, 2014 03:53AM
one Kit 5 please thank you very much!

Erik
Sounds great. Put me down for one. Kit #5 please...
Nice one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 06:50AM by badman.teddy.edward.
February 19, 2014 10:27AM
akakjs
Ooo looks fun!

Option 5 here as well please grinning smiley (posted before you listed the kit options as well, in case you double count me)

Ben

Same for me on both counts.

Thanks dc.

Dan.
February 19, 2014 01:01PM
Option 5 please?

Dave
February 19, 2014 02:55PM
Hi
Option 5 for me to

Jim
February 19, 2014 03:20PM
I've just placed the order for 60 PCBs. As most people are going for kit 5, I intend to get 50 boards assembled commercially (SMD parts only) for kit 5. There are a few kit 2 and kit 3 orders, which I will assemble by hand (kits 2 and 3 only have a few SMD components to place). I probably won't offer kit 4 any more, although I could do a kit 5 less the ultrasonic transducer and extra connector to save a few GBP. I'll offer a finishing service (i.e. soldering the through-hole parts) for a few GBP extra. I will be accepting payment via PayPal when the boards are ready.

Current state of the ultrasonic height sensor is that it seems to be repeatable to better than 0.05mm, but only if the temperature is held constant. Unless I can reduce the temperature sensitivity, I'll probably be recommending to heat the bed to a fixed temperature (perhaps 40C or 50C), do the z-homing and bed calibration at that temperature, then raise the bed to printing temperature and print. This will (I hope) be OK for those who have replaced or reinforced the MDF bed, but be less good for those with the original MDF bed because the amount by which the back corners sag may vary with temperature.

PS - current expressions of interest are 4 bare boards, 2 kit 2, 1 kit 3, 3 kit 4, 19 kit 5, and 8 who asked for "fully populated" before I listed the options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 03:24PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 19, 2014 04:49PM
Ok I previously asked for a board but now the options are up can I get a kit 5.

Andy Hare
February 19, 2014 07:42PM
Good news that the order has been sent out for production. Would you like to have my kit 5 order pre-paid? And do you have any idea on the lead time? If it's not too much to ask for, I'd like to get a ready-to-run version, without needing to heat up my rusty old soldering iron.
From your description I get the impression that ultrasonic bed levelling won't work at print-temperatures? Or am I jumping to (wrong) conclusions?
February 20, 2014 03:04AM
@onno, I will be offering fully-built boards, I just need to see how much extra time it takes so I know how much extra to charge. I think ultrasonic bed leveling will work OK at 60C, maybe a little higher, but not at ABS printing temperatures.

February 20, 2014 05:06PM
dc42 - I can flex on this if it'll simplify your workload :
rayhicks
Could I order a kit 2 and a kit 4 please?

Cheers

Ray

if I up the 4 to a 5 and drop the 2 to bare-board would it streamline things?

Cheers

Ray
February 20, 2014 05:13PM
Hi dc42.
Please put me up on option 5.thumbs up

Torbjørn
February 20, 2014 05:53PM
rayhicks
dc42 - I can flex on this if it'll simplify your workload :
rayhicks
Could I order a kit 2 and a kit 4 please?

Cheers

Ray

if I up the 4 to a 5 and drop the 2 to bare-board would it streamline things?

Cheers

Ray

Yes it would; however I am quite happy to hand-assemble a kit 2 for you because it has only a few SMD parts.

February 20, 2014 06:42PM
your call dc42 - definitely a kit 5 (instead of 4), and we'll see how tired you get of soldering when the boards turn up before deciding on bare-board or kit 2 smiling smiley

Cheers

Ry
February 21, 2014 07:13AM
I'll take a Kit 5, please.

RS Ormerod #472
February 26, 2014 10:58AM
For anyone interested, I've put the preliminary assembly instructions for the board at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. Sorry no photos included yet, they will have to wait until the boards arrive!

February 26, 2014 04:27PM
Asked for a board but now 1 Kit 5 Please...
I want to try the sensor......... ultrasonic sensor
but it will take a long time? I have no ideas about
I have not read all the instructions you posted but it seems clear...

Dario
February 26, 2014 06:23PM
Hi Dario,

When you say "will it take a long time", are you asking when I expect to be shipping the kits? I'm expecting the bare PCBs to be delivered about a week for now, then I need to hand-assemble the first two and test them. Then another week or so to get 50 assembled professionally, after which I will be shipping them.

I'm currently running my printer with the prototype ultrasonic sensor and no IR. It seems to be OK so far, but I need to do a few more prints at different bed temperatures to be sure.

February 26, 2014 07:16PM
What? You're testing it AND providing build notes BEFORE you release? Shocking concept dc42 smiling smiley

Joking aside, if you'd like a second test site, I'd be more than willing to run some tests at ABS temperatures for you before you get embroiled in production,

Cheers

Ray

[edit - ps as a total aside I read one of your other recent blogs, and speaking for myself, you were onto a winner with the "probably" when it came to suggesting things I didn't know about the Bendix-King Ki525A HSI - I didn't even know what one did - but now that I do know, respect to you for your tenacious testing! ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 07:42PM by rayhicks.
February 27, 2014 08:31AM
rayhicks
[edit - ps as a total aside I read one of your other recent blogs, and speaking for myself, you were onto a winner with the "probably" when it came to suggesting things I didn't know about the Bendix-King Ki525A HSI - I didn't even know what one did - but now that I do know, respect to you for your tenacious testing! ]

Is flying another common interest we share? It seems people's interests tend to be grouped.

Dave
(#106)
February 27, 2014 08:43AM
intelligent hobbies intelligent peoplesmileys with beer

XB70
March 02, 2014 07:23PM
Good news - the PCBs arrived in Leipzig from China yesterday (Sunday), so I'm hoping to get my hands on them today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 07:24PM by dc42.

March 03, 2014 05:05AM
Excellent! Scored panels or milled? I don't know if you've got a fancy shape for it or not.

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
March 03, 2014 06:17AM
Radian
Excellent! Scored panels or milled? I don't know if you've got a fancy shape for it or not.

They are individual PCBs - not what the PCB assembler would have preferred, but he has agreed to work with them. It's rectangular with one corner truncated. They are on the delivery van now so I am expecting them any time.

March 03, 2014 06:50AM
a fully-populated board (estimated cost £22 + VAT + carriage)?

One for me too please.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 03, 2014 07:06AM
Davek0974
a fully-populated board (estimated cost £22 + VAT + carriage)?
One for me too please.

Sorry Dave, it turned out that I couldn't make them for that price. Current planned offerings are listed at [forums.reprap.org]. I won't be doing kit 4 initially, but I will could do a kit 5 without the ultrasonic transducer and extra connectors, and knock a few quid off the price.

March 03, 2014 07:27AM
dc42
Thanks everyone for your expressions of interest. So far I have interest in 5 bare boards and 28 populated ones.

Unfortunately I have been unable to meet the original target price. My current thoughts for kit options, and provisional prices, are:

Kit 5: 3-wire modulated IR sensor + lighting + thermostatic fan control + all hotend connectors on board + ultrasonic £39.00

Add VAT (except for orders from outside EU, and orders from registered EU businesses outside UK) and carriage to all prices.

Not included (although I could be persuaded for an extra charge):

- Mounting of through-hole parts on PCB
- Wire to for the 4th sensor connection to the Duet
- 6-pin ICSP header for re-programming the attiny microcontroller

Hi dc42,
all inclusive ...how much it costs?
Sure you can do better than me even to find the cables.
Put me on the list for an all-inclusive option. (kit 5++)

Thanks
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
March 03, 2014 07:36AM
Hi Dario, I'm now planning to include the wire and crimp connectors for the 4th wire in the kit, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. You will still need to thread the wire through the existing sleeve if you want to (which requires threading some solid core wire through first, which you use to pull the flexible wire through) and fit the crimp connectors. The IR option on kit 5 will be usable without the 4th wire. I'll work out how much extra to charge for fitting the through-hole components on the board when I have timed how long I take to build a couple.

March 03, 2014 01:55PM
60 boards + solder stencil arrived today.

I'm waiting for a few parts before I can populate and test a kit 5. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I will PM those who asked for Kit 2 or Kit 3 asking them to confirm their orders, because I have enough parts to build a few of those now.

One snag is that there has been a run on 10mm 40kHz ultrasonic transducers since I built the prototype, and neither Farnell nor RS has any in stock. This may delay the Kit 5s till sometime in April, unless I add £3 to the price and source more expensive ones from Mouser, or ship the Kit 5s without the transducer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login