Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?

Posted by dc42 
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
March 03, 2014 02:04PM
dc42
One snag is that there has been a run on 10mm 40kHz ultrasonic transducers since I built the prototype, and neither Farnell nor RS has any in stock. This may delay the Kit 5s till sometime in April, unless I add £3 to the price and source more expensive ones from Mouser, or ship the Kit 5s without the transducer.

I, for one, will be more than happy to pay an extra few quid to get it earlier! cool smiley

Mike
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
March 03, 2014 02:07PM
Mykey
dc42
One snag is that there has been a run on 10mm 40kHz ultrasonic transducers since I built the prototype, and neither Farnell nor RS has any in stock. This may delay the Kit 5s till sometime in April, unless I add £3 to the price and source more expensive ones from Mouser, or ship the Kit 5s without the transducer.

I, for one, will be more than happy to pay an extra few quid to get it earlier! cool smiley

Mike

Same here!
March 03, 2014 03:17PM
Plus one on the board5 extra cost (what turnaround do mouser have by the way, I haven't used them because I've always suspected they ship in from the USA when they have enough orders to justify a shipment).

Impressive turnaround on the pcb's - and they certainly look the part - would you care to share the supplier's details?

Cheers

Ray
March 03, 2014 03:41PM
Can you change mine from a board 4 to 5 please? thats if its not messing you around, thought I would go with the majority. plus I don't mind paying a bit extra for board 5 if it means getting it a bit earlier. cheers
March 03, 2014 04:00PM
dc42
...unless I add £3 to the price and source more expensive ones from Mouser....

OK with Me!

Erik
March 03, 2014 04:02PM
Blimey you are clever. That board looks great smiling smiley
March 03, 2014 04:18PM
dc42
Davek0974
a fully-populated board (estimated cost £22 + VAT + carriage)?
One for me too please.

Sorry Dave, it turned out that I couldn't make them for that price. Current planned offerings are listed at [forums.reprap.org]. I won't be doing kit 4 initially, but I will could do a kit 5 without the ultrasonic transducer and extra connectors, and knock a few quid off the price.

Ok, hold my decision for a bit, I need more practise first I think before major upgrades, do any of these mods work with the original firmware??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 04:25PM by Davek0974.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 03, 2014 05:01PM
Depends what you mean by "original" smiling smiley the original firmware didn't talk to pronterface! (I got it working with repetier mac and pointed to why it didn't work with pronterface) - RRP didn't realise that it didn't, because at the time all they were using was their web interface - of course that didn't help the first 200+ beacause our boards didn't have ethernet working on the whole...

dc's firmware upgrades seem to be compatible with the mainstream RepRapPro releases (the last of which included much of his work), and the way he's implementing support for his electronic upgrades should be neutral for "vanilla" Ormerods juding by how he's implemented the firmware support. [edit some of the upgrade options should work with the main release too - I'm sure dc42 will fill you in on the compatibility once he's got the rosin fumes out of his eyessmiling smiley /edit]

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 05:02PM by rayhicks.
March 03, 2014 05:05PM
I'm happy to pay the extra as well to avoid waiting the extra month smiling smiley

ben
March 03, 2014 06:14PM
Also happy to pay the extra to speed up delivery smiling smiley
March 03, 2014 06:58PM
Davek0974
Sorry Dave, it turned out that I couldn't make them for that price. Current planned offerings are listed at [forums.reprap.org]. I won't be doing kit 4 initially, but I will could do a kit 5 without the ultrasonic transducer and extra connectors, and knock a few quid off the price.

Ok, hold my decision for a bit, I need more practise first I think before major upgrades, do any of these mods work with the original firmware??[/quote]

Kits 2 and 3 use the Duet to modulate the IR sensor. These need the modulation code included in the Duet firmware. RRP have added the code I provided to do this into the Duet branch of their firmware, but not yet into the main branch.

In kits 4 and 5, the IR modulation is handled on the board, so the modulated sensor will work with the current RRP master branch firmware (0.57a).

For the ultrasonic sensor, I am recommending that it be used with special support in the firmware, which has been included in my last few builds. It might just be possible to use it with the standard firmware, but only at a fixed temperature, and I will not be providing any warranty or support for this mode.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 04, 2014 01:46AM
happy to pay the extra
Hello DC42
Another happy to pay the extra for kit 5.
Thanks - looks great. smiling smiley
March 04, 2014 12:34PM
Add me to the list please.
March 04, 2014 12:45PM
Me too smiling smiley
March 04, 2014 02:30PM
Treth (original post)
Hi DC 42,

I would like a Kit 1 and a Kit 4 please.

Yes, thanks for all the great work on this.
thumbs up
Hi dc42,
I'm happy to go with a Kit 4 (Kit 5 without Ultrasonic sensor) or if it makes things easier for you to go with a Kit 5.
AND to get your numbers up I'll pay the extra as I really appreciate all the hard work you are putting in to this project.

So to make it clearer a Kit 5 in the first batch!
I'll also drop the original Kit 1 request thanks.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
March 04, 2014 02:52PM
Happy to use the more expensive transducer.
Thanks DC
Greg.

Ormerod #17
March 04, 2014 03:13PM
I'm ok to pay more for kit 5
March 04, 2014 03:32PM
dc42
Davek0974

Ok, hold my decision for a bit, I need more practise first I think before major upgrades, do any of these mods work with the original firmware??

Kits 2 and 3 use the Duet to modulate the IR sensor. These need the modulation code included in the Duet firmware. RRP have added the code I provided to do this into the Duet branch of their firmware, but not yet into the main branch.

In kits 4 and 5, the IR modulation is handled on the board, so the modulated sensor will work with the current RRP master branch firmware (0.57a).

For the ultrasonic sensor, I am recommending that it be used with special support in the firmware, which has been included in my last few builds. It might just be possible to use it with the standard firmware, but only at a fixed temperature, and I will not be providing any warranty or support for this mode.[/quote]

Thanks for that, I'll go for a kit 4 please.

Am I right in my presumption that modulating the IR sensor improves it's reliability under differing ambient light conditions?

March 04, 2014 04:36PM
Davek0974
Am I right in my presumption that modulating the IR sensor improves it's reliability under differing ambient light conditions?

Yes, that's the main purpose of modulation.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 04, 2014 04:42PM
dc42
Davek0974

Thanks, definitely a kit 4 please.

March 05, 2014 06:04AM
rayhicks
Plus one on the board5 extra cost (what turnaround do mouser have by the way, I haven't used them because I've always suspected they ship in from the USA when they have enough orders to justify a shipment).

Impressive turnaround on the pcb's - and they certainly look the part - would you care to share the supplier's details?

Mouser normally ships same-day direct from the USA by Fedex or UPS. The complication is that if you want to reclaim the VAT, then you need to order the goods vat-unpaid, and some delivery companies charge you a handling fee on top of the VAT for collecting it.

I sourced the PCBs from Itead Studios. In the end I didn't place the final order until very late on 21 February, and they arrived on 4 March. So 10 days effective turnaround time. I paid extra to have them sent by DHL because I was also ordering a solder stencil. Normally I pay for them to be sent by air mail, and the turnaround time to receiving them is then about 2 weeks.

March 05, 2014 06:11AM
Davek0974
dc42
Davek0974

Davek, I won't be building kit 4s this time around, because they are too expensive for me to assemble by hand and there is insufficient demand for them to have them assembled professionally. However, I can provide a kit 5 without the ultrasonic transducer and the extra connector, for a few GBP more than I would be charging for kit 4. Alternatively, if you don't mind using either my own firmware or the firmware on the RRP Duet branch (which includes all the changes I made up to 10 February), then a kit 2 or kit 3 will give you a modulated IR sensor at a lower price.

March 05, 2014 06:49PM
Hi David (DC42), I've just gone throu your thread and seen that your mounting holes appear to be 20mm DBC (distance Between Centers).
I thought they were 10mm like the original board. No problem for me to alter my adapter card.....

Ok so I can adjust my adapter plate, please could you PM me the correct hole distance. If we use the bottom of the heat sink as a datum,
how far up/down the bottom hole needs to be so it gets the correct height to suit your kits and the DBC.
Editing the print isn't a problem, and the adapter I already have on ThingyVerse will cover it I think just people might have to drill a hole. If needs be I'll put three holes in the plate to cover both your design, and the original for this type of mounting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 01:30AM by KimBrown.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
March 06, 2014 02:19AM
I will assemble the kit 2 and 3 boards today. I have just PM'd those who expressed interest in them. If anyone else wants a kit 2 or 3, please let me know asap.

The kit 5s should be available in 2 to 3 weeks.

March 06, 2014 06:18AM
dc42
Davek0974
dc42
Davek0974

Davek, I won't be building kit 4s this time around, because they are too expensive for me to assemble by hand and there is insufficient demand for them to have them assembled professionally. However, I can provide a kit 5 without the ultrasonic transducer and the extra connector, for a few GBP more than I would be charging for kit 4. Alternatively, if you don't mind using either my own firmware or the firmware on the RRP Duet branch (which includes all the changes I made up to 10 February), then a kit 2 or kit 3 will give you a modulated IR sensor at a lower price.

Ok no worries, cut-down Kit 5 please, I really want the modulated iR and the thermostatic fan control, I am still dubious about the need for ultrasonics but will follow the forum eagerly watching for results, I guess i could add it later?

If there is only pennies between the cut-down and full kit5 then I might as well just go for the kit 5 as I am going to need to flash the firmware anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 06:19AM by Davek0974.

March 06, 2014 06:40AM
dc42
I will assemble the kit 2 and 3 boards today. I have just PM'd those who expressed interest in them. If anyone else wants a kit 2 or 3, please let me know asap.

The kit 5s should be available in 2 to 3 weeks.

What about the bare board option? ( I hope that is what you have me down for - I think I may be the only one that wants a bare pcb smiling smiley ) Is this available now?

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
March 06, 2014 09:41AM
The Kits 2 & 3 are now assembled and tested. I will be supplying the Kit 2s with through-hole components fully populated, and the Kit 3s partially populated, because that makes them easier to test. Here are the photos. Left is kit 2, right is kit 3.

Side 1 is mounted against the left hand side of the heatsink duct, with the connectors extending over the top of the duct. Side 2 will have a printed insulation piece over it.

I hope to be shipping the kit 2s, kit 3s and bare boards tomorrow or Monday.

March 06, 2014 09:44AM
Wow! they look great dc,

Looking forward to getting my hands on one, New duct is printing now in preparation =)

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
March 06, 2014 10:06AM
Matt, one slight snag is that when using your one-piece duct, there isn't room to fit the 3rd LED, as shown here:

Here is the file for the modified one-piece duct I am using. I could increase the depth of the standoff, but I'm wondering whether the duct on this side could be made 2mm or 3mm shorter instead, so that it doesn't go right up to the edge of the frame for the heatsink? The LED heads protrude 5mm above the surface of the PCB.

Attachments:
open | download - one-peice-hotend-airduct-with-new-irsensor.scad (3.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login