Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?

Posted by dc42 
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
March 06, 2014 10:13AM
Looking good.
how are you getting on with sourcing the ultrasonic modules?
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
March 06, 2014 12:00PM
PaulHam
Looking good.
how are you getting on with sourcing the ultrasonic modules?

I received two from Mouser today, of a different brand from the one I prototyped with. I hope to find time to test them tomorrow.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 06, 2014 12:57PM
dc42
Matt, one slight snag is that when using your one-piece duct, there isn't room to fit the 3rd LED, as shown here:

Here is the file for the modified one-piece duct I am using. I could increase the depth of the standoff, but I'm wondering whether the duct on this side could be made 2mm or 3mm shorter instead, so that it doesn't go right up to the edge of the frame for the heatsink? The LED heads protrude 5mm above the surface of the PCB.

I'll trim down the duct a bit, and post a mod shortly

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
March 06, 2014 01:28PM
More pictures, culminating in an installed and working kit 3.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 06, 2014 02:22PM
Looking good

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 06, 2014 02:40PM
@dc42 - I reduced the size of the larger vent by 2mm and beveled the corner, quick fix not ideal.

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
Attachments:
open | download - one-peice-hotend-airduct-with-new-irsensor.stl (68.6 KB)
March 08, 2014 05:22AM
Hi DC,
I requested a kit 5, the full works, a super duper addition, an all singing, all dancing piece of electronics but I will be away for a few weeks starting next Thursday and was wondering when you need addresses and payment and how would you like the payment made?

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
March 08, 2014 06:07AM
Hi David, thanks for the details about the Probe. How wide is the actual connector area?
I'm thinking of altering my Fan Duct to suit rather than use an adapter clip, and the Mk2
Duct will have an added feature (but I won't say what just yet.
Kim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 07:17AM by KimBrown.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
March 08, 2014 07:34AM
Hi Kim, the connector area is the whole width of the board, which is 28mm (14mm either side of the fixing hole centres).

March 08, 2014 07:37AM
I built the first two Kit 5 boards yesterday:

Today I will complete the firmware and test them.

[EDIT added schematic]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 07:59AM by dc42.

March 08, 2014 12:16PM
Very nice, is there a list of plastic parts needed before fitting?

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 08, 2014 01:10PM
Davek0974
Very nice, is there a list of plastic parts needed before fitting?

Yes, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. Links to STLs and (where available) openscad files to follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 01:10PM by dc42.

March 10, 2014 05:10AM
I asked for a kit a long time ago and would like if possible to make that a kit5 and happy to pay the extra for the sensor.
March 10, 2014 07:23AM
Currently I have orders for 3 bare boards, 2 kit 1, 1 kit 3, 29 kit 5 (of which 1 fully soldered), and 5 "fully populated" which I assume will also be kit 5 (of which 1 fully soldered). I will be sending requests for payment for the bare boards, kit 1 and kit 2 today as they are ready to send out. The kit 5 is working in my machine and I will place an order for 50 to be assembled today, which I should receive around the end of next week.

Sadly, the alternative ultrasonic transducer from Mouser is not working very well, even with some frequency adjustments. We may need to wait for the original transducers to become available again. There is another transducer available from RS in a few days time and also stocked by Conrad Electronics, so I may try that one out.

Hum3, thanks for confirming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2014 07:23AM by dc42.

KP
March 10, 2014 08:36AM
I'd like to get on the list for a Kit 5 please, happy to wait until the right bits are available.

Kev.
March 10, 2014 09:24AM
Please can those of you who have said you would like a bare board or a kit 2 or kit 3 send an email to (reversed) [com dot eschertech at dcrocker] detailing:

1. Which boards or kits you would like

2. The delivery address

3. If delivery address is inside the EU but outside the UK and you are registered for VAT, the company name and VAT registration number (so that I do not need to charge VAT).

I will then send you an email with my PayPal account details and the total cost.

March 10, 2014 01:41PM
Thanks to all of you who have expressed interest. I can now confirm prices:

Base	UK	EU	EU nV	Outside EU

Bare board 	£5.50	£7.32	£8.14	£6.78	£7.38
Kit 2         	£17.00	£22.80	£28.30	£23.58	£24.18
Kit 3 	        £19.50	£25.80	£31.30	£26.08	£26.68
Kit 4+        	£34.50	£43.80	£49.30	£41.08	£41.68
Kit 5 (original)£39.00	£49.20	£54.70	£45.58	£46.18
Kit 5 (early)	£42.00	£52.80	£58.30	£48.58	£49.18

The base prices are the same as the provisional prices ex VAT and carriage that I gave earlier. The other prices include carriage (UK first class, airmail elsewhere) and VAT (where applicable). The EU nV column is for VAT-registered EU but non-UK businesses. Kit 4+ includes the SMD components to support the ultrasonic transducer but not the transducer itself or the associated wiring and connectors.

Kit 2s will be supplied fully-soldered. For other kits, add £6.00 (or £5.00 if exempt from paying VAT) if you don't want to do any soldering.

Bare boards, kit 2 and kit 3 are shipping now. See my previous email for how to order. I have the kit 2s and kit 3s ready for those who have already expressed interest in them, and I can make another ten. Kit 4+ and kit 5 (early) should be available in 2 weeks or a little less. The availability of Kit 5 (early) depends on getting successful results from the alternative transducer, which I hope to establish tomorrow or Wednesday. Kit 5 (original) will have to wait until April when the transducers should be available.

See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for assembly and usage instructions.

March 12, 2014 03:09PM
Hi

Any news on the early versions? If they work good, I am most certainly interested in one. I guess the money needs to be paypalled as descibed above? And is the kit 5 fully soldered, or is there an additional charge for that?

Onno
March 12, 2014 04:42PM
Hi onno, I'm shipping bare boards, kits 2 and 3 now. Kit 4+ and 5 should be available around the end of next week. Fully soldered kit 5s wil be available for a little extra as described above. Send me a PM with your email address, delivery address, and what you want, then I will send a payment request via PayPal when I can ship it.

Unfortunately the two other types of ultrasonic transducer don't work as well as the original, so I will probably ship the boards first and transducers later.

March 12, 2014 08:10PM
I finally managed to get the board working well with one of the alternate transducers. It requires changing one of the SMD resistors on the board, and adding a capacitor in parallel with the transducer. So when I get enough confirmed orders for early boards, I'll modify a batch of boards by changing the resistor, and I'll ship a through-hole capacitor with them to connect across the transducer connector pins.

March 13, 2014 07:32AM
Thanks to those of you who have already sent me PMs in the last few days to order a board. For anyone else who wants a board, pleased send an email to dcrocker at eschertech dot com with the following information:

1. Your forum name
2. Your email address
3. Your name and delivery address.
4. What you want to order (see 4 messages earlier in this thread for prices) and whether you want to pay the extra to have it fully soldered.
5. The price you expect to pay (see 4 messages earlier).

I will then send a request for payment to your email address via PayPal. If you are ordering a kit that is not yet available, you may postpone paying for it until I announce availability of that kit. However, I will ship the boards in the order that I receive payment.

Estimated shipping dates are:

Bare boards, kits 2 and 3: Now (but limited quantity available)
Kit 4+ and kit 5 (early): 24/03/2014.
Kit 5 (regular): 14/04/2014

Kit 5 (early) includes an alternative ultrasonic transducer and an additional capacitor for tuning it. As well as soldering the through-hole components, you will need to solder the capacitor across the transducer connector terminals or pads, unless you order a fully-soldered board. Kit 4+ will be upgradable to ultrasonic by adding the original transducer and (if desired) the transducer connector.

March 13, 2014 10:27AM
One thing I forgot to mention: if you want delivery to a country in central Europe but outside the EU (e.g. Switzerland, Norway, Channel Islands) then you can use the "EU nv" prices.

March 14, 2014 09:05AM
Please can anyone who wants an early kit 5 send me an order (see 2 posts earlier in this thread for how) by Sunday evening, if you haven't already done so. I need to get the right number of boards manufactured for each transducer type, and to order the correct number of transducers.

Thanks to those of you who have already ordered (17 orders received so far). If you have emailed me an order for anything other than a non-early kit 5, then you should have received a Paypal request for payment from me by now, unless you have already paid.

March 14, 2014 09:27AM
Hi,

Looks great!

I'm assuming there is a reason besides the extra £3 that I missed along the thread for keeping the original kit 5 and the associated delay around at all...? If it's only about the cost and the extra capacitor, I'm okay with either -- but will the original be more precise too, after you got the alternative transducer working?

/Allan
March 14, 2014 09:48AM
Hi Allan,

From my tests yesterday, with the component change on the the board and the added capacitor, it looks as though the alternative transducer will work just as well as the original one, perhaps slightly better. I still need to test the temperature sensitivity, which I hope to do today.

March 15, 2014 03:06PM
David, how tall is the Coil L2 please... I've allowed 3mm... Is that enough?????

Here is a Safety Cover to fit DC42s Probe. This will fit any Heat Sink Duct type.
The cover has a safety lip to cover the edges of the board.
It also has two small ledges near the I.R. Sensor to help with shading the sensor.

I'll release the STL later after I've printed the Cover to Probe it fits (at the moment I'm running a test print so it will be about 1hr at least).

Kim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 03:10PM by KimBrown.

March 15, 2014 05:34PM

Ok DC42s Probe Cover fits like a glove using the No.2 kit.
Just going to upload the files to ThingyVerse now.

DC42s Probe Safety Cover Link

PS Initialy the STL had the mounting holes 0.5mm out of line... Any one who was one of the first 5 downloads might want to re-download the STL, or run a drill throu the holes.... eye rolling smiley.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 10:21PM by KimBrown.

March 16, 2014 05:57AM
Hi Kim, the inductor is about 5.3mm high. The screws I supply with the kit are M2.5 10mm countersunk, so if you stand off the cover enough to clear the inductor then you might need to use longer screws. Here is the design for the insulator that I use, which only covers part of the board and not the inductor.

Attachments:
open | download - Insulator.scad (388 bytes)
open | download - Insulator.stl (134.4 KB)
March 16, 2014 07:47AM

Hi Dave, I think the best thing to do would be for me to place a Square hole in the cover where the inductor sits as it is encased in a plastic casing, so already insulated... (5mm x 7mm approx). The cover is 5mm deep, so I don't want to make it deeper.

I'll print this out now to check, then add it to my ThingyVerse things after I've checked it will be ok. My cover will protect the board better, and so be protecting the Duet better....thumbs up

Kim

March 16, 2014 08:12AM
I've put most of the files for the sensor board on github at [github.com]. The main thing missing is the firmware, which I will finalize when I have done more tests with the alternative ultrasonic transducers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login