Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
March 16, 2014 08:15AM
KimBrown
[attachment 28714 dccoverOK.jpg]
Hi Dave, I think the best thing to do would be for me to place a Square hole in the cover where the inductor sits as it is encased in a plastic casing, so already insulated... (5mm x 7mm approx). The cover is 5mm deep, so I don't want to make it deeper.

I suggest you make the hole 6mm x 8mm, to allow for variation in the placement of the inductor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
March 16, 2014 08:20AM
Ok, no problem, I'll edit the file after the prints finished in a couple of minutes....

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
March 16, 2014 09:50AM

The safety cover to fit DC42s probes (other than Kit 2) is now on ThingyVerse..
Link below..

When someone uses it to protect their board, please could you upload a picture of it with the Probe PCB inside it, as I only have Kit 2 here.
Thanks.
Kim...

March 16, 2014 04:44PM
The deadline for Kit 5 Early orders is fast approaching, because I have to finalize the numbers of boards made for each transducer type and order the transducers. So please get any more kit 5 early orders to me by 0900 UTC tomorrow (Monday). If you have already sent me an order for anything other than a non-early kit 5, you should have received a PayPal request for payment from me by now.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 17, 2014 11:14AM
DC42 Probe's Safety Cover
=====================
One minor revision. Countersink on holes increased.

Just about to test the adapter to allow DC's probe to be fitted to the Fan-Duct.

March 19, 2014 01:07AM
Adapter Plate for Kit 2 users to use the Fan-Duct has been released.

March 19, 2014 04:42AM
Does the fan duct fit all types of board?

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 20, 2014 12:26PM
I have just taken delivery of the assembled boards and I am about to program them. The kit 4+ orders and some kit 5 early will be dispatched tomorrow.

March 22, 2014 11:33AM
Unfortunately I didn't manage to dispatch any board yesterday. However the Kit 4 orders and most of the unsoldered kit 5 early orders went in the post today. The remainder (including the soldered boards) will go in Monday's post.

I have now run out of unsoldered Kit 5 early boards, apart from two I have allocated to users who ordered recently but haven't yet paid. I have two spare fully-soldered Kit 5 early if anyone else wants to order one.

PS - the firmware source code is now on github, [github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2014 11:51AM by dc42.

March 22, 2014 09:08PM
Awesome! Can't wait for the board to arrive.
March 24, 2014 06:07AM
Hi Dave,

Many thanks, my order kit 4+ just arrived, great design and build quality. smiling smiley

I'm away from the Ormerod for the rest of the week, so no feedback for awhile I'm afraid.

Cheers.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
March 24, 2014 03:36PM
Kit arrived today, looks excellent, thanks.

Also printed the full safety cover from the stl listed, there appears to be no meat around the countersunk holes though, it ended up with two rings supported by thin strands.

Is there an updated version or was this a one-off fault?

March 24, 2014 04:18PM
Hi Davek,

If you printed Kim's safety cover, please refer to him. My original one is Insulator.stl at [github.com]. There is also a second version called Insulator-thick.stl there now, for use if you will be gluing an ultrasonic transducer to the board as I did in the photo on the instructions page.

March 24, 2014 05:40PM
Ok thanks

March 24, 2014 05:42PM
KimBrown
DC42 Probe's Safety Cover
=====================
One minor revision. Countersink on holes increased.

t.

I just printed the cover but found the countersunk holes unsupported? Practically no plastic round them.

Is that an issue with the files?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 05:43PM by Davek0974.

March 24, 2014 07:41PM
Davek, I've just looked at that file in slic3r, and I think you are right. I had a similar problem when I was developing the thick version of my insulating plate design, after I made the countersinking deep enough so that it can still use the 10mm screws I supply with the kits. I solved the problem by increasing the diameter of the two stand-offs.

I suggest you use one of my insulating plate designs unless Kim revises his design soon enough for you.

March 25, 2014 02:34AM
Ok thanks for looking.

March 25, 2014 05:03PM
Mine's all in and working. Haven't done anything with the ultrasonic part yet.

Rather than re-printing the whole motor bracket so the end stop works, I just glued an L shaped piece of photo paper onto the existing post - works fine!

The good news is... Everything worked first time, the fan control is great and the lights are nice. The IR is now perfectly immune against rogue light sources.

The bad news is... Automatic bed levelling is still very poor. I've got bright white targets in the four corners of the bed, the M557 co-ordinates position the IR sensor directly in the middle of them, yet when I come to print, there is at least a 0.5mm discrepancy between front left and rear right. I wonder what I'm doing wrong...?
March 25, 2014 05:44PM
Is the bed level mechanically?

Was it ok before the upgrade?

I've got the kit to fit too so I'm very interested to see how it all works, my bed is almost level corner to corner so the compensation if I use it won't have much to do.

March 25, 2014 05:50PM
Hi Steve,

I'm glad it's mostly working for you. Regarding the bed levelling, do you still have the original MDF bed support, and are you levelling the bed when it is cold? I found that using the MDF bed support, the height at the back corners of the bed varied with temperature. Heating the bed to operating temperature before running the bed levelling helped, but wasn't perfect. Replacing the MDF bed support with aluminium gave much better results.

You can check how well the bed levelling probing is working like this. First, execute M561 to clear the bed transform. Then go to your first M557 probe point, raise the nozzle to 5mm, and execute G30. This is equivalent to homing the Z axis at that point, except that it doesn't actually put the nozzle at Z=0. Then check how accurate the height is, e.g. by doing G0 Z0 and checking that the probe is just touching/just clear of the bed. Repeat for the other 3 points.

The automatic bed levelling can only compensate for the bed not being quite level, and for a small twist in the y-axis trods. It can't compensate for the glass not being flat or the x-plate ot being straight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 05:52PM by dc42.

March 25, 2014 05:52PM
- Is the bed level mechanically?

It's as level as I can get it. I'm using your brilliant aluminium part. Rear left, rear right, front right and dead centre all perfect with a feeler gauge. Front left is 0.5mm low. I really don't know how or why this is possible, so I was hoping the bed compensation would sort this last little defect out. Maybe we need an x-shaped bed instead so all four corners can be levelled...

The automatic levelling just doesn't seem as precise as doing it by hand. I guess I'm just being lazy! It seems to do it very quickly - I wonder if some more precision could be eked out of the process.
March 25, 2014 05:56PM
stevelup
Rear left, rear right, front right and dead centre all perfect with a feeler gauge. Front left is 0.5mm low. I really don't know how or why this is possible, so I was hoping the bed compensation would sort this last little defect out. Maybe we need an x-shaped bed instead so all four corners can be levelled...

Even if the glass is flat, it's possible if the two y-rods are slightly twisted instead of being parallel, or if the plywood rib doesn't remain tightly against the linear bearing on the front rod. But try the test I suggested 2 posts ago to check whether the z probing is getting accurate heights. Also you can run square.g and check that the bed compensation is doing its stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 05:57PM by dc42.

March 25, 2014 06:04PM
stevelup
- Is the bed level mechanically?

It's as level as I can get it. I'm using your brilliant aluminium part. Rear left, rear right, front right and dead centre all perfect with a feeler gauge. Front left is 0.5mm low. I really don't know how or why this is possible, so I was hoping the bed compensation would sort this last little defect out. Maybe we need an x-shaped bed instead so all four corners can be levelled...

The automatic levelling just doesn't seem as precise as doing it by hand. I guess I'm just being lazy! It seems to do it very quickly - I wonder if some more precision could be eked out of the process.

That's almost identical to mine, I have a slight twist and one front corner is 0.3mm down the other is 0.2mm up but the three points are zero. I've printed a 100mm square part and it worked but may need compensation for bigger stuff.

Is your white paper under the glass or under the kapton tape ontop?

Hope to be fitting my kit soon, so will try out dc42s tests as well.

March 25, 2014 06:52PM
dc42
You can check how well the bed levelling probing is working like this. First, execute M561 to clear the bed transform. Then go to your first M557 probe point, raise the nozzle to 5mm, and execute G30. This is equivalent to homing the Z axis at that point, except that it doesn't actually put the nozzle at Z=0. Then check how accurate the height is, e.g. by doing G0 Z0 and checking that the probe is just touching/just clear of the bed. Repeat for the other 3 points

I've done it manually so I can see the P readings - just to check that the targets are all reading the same.

Rear left, nozzle just touching the bed, Z1.50 P358
Rear right, nozzle just touching the bed Z1.50 P364
Front right, nozzle just touching the bed Z1.50 P344
Front left, nozzle just touching the bed Z1.50 P354

So... All OK? Or would you expect those probe values to be closer together?

My G31 line was Z1.50 P346 - the average of the above four readings is 355 - perhaps I should use that?

Now I do what you suggest - which is to do a G30 at each location. This also works perfectly with Z0 just touching the bed at each corner.

Next, run the automatic bed measurement, and straight away, it's messed up.

Front left now needs a Z position of -0.6 before the nozzle touches the bed.
Front right is OK
Rear right now needs a Z position of -0.5
Rear left also needs a Z position of -0.5

Am I doing something stupid here - it just doesn't make sense! The bed compensation seems to make things worse not better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 06:53PM by stevelup.
March 25, 2014 07:19PM
Those results do seem strange, so I've done a few tests. There definitely seems to be something wrong with the bed compensation algorithm, and I'll investigate further tomorrow. It's possible that I've broken something in the firmware.

March 26, 2014 05:00AM
My machine is untouched since last night, so if you need anything re-testing, just shout!
March 26, 2014 05:11AM
Thanks Steve, when I have a firmware fix that works for me, I'll ask you to test it. Your 4 IR Z probe readings look close enough to me, I think you'll find that if you raise the nozzle by 0.05mm than the reading changes by 20 or more.

March 26, 2014 08:14AM
Hi Steve,

The bed compensation code was indeed broken. When I added the code to do z-probing in two steps (fast and then slow), I failed to notice that the bed compensation code made an assumption about the last move prior to a z-probe, which my new code broke.

I've put a fixed version at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. The bed compensation is working nicely for me now. If I put a couple of empty PCBs on one corner of the bed, do G32 and then run square.g, I can see the z-axis moving to compensate for the raised corner.

I've also changed the debug command M111 S2 to include the bed probe heights in the stuff it prints. You should be able to tie this in with how level you know the bed to be.

Let me know if it works well for you. I'll release it when one of us has done a print with it.

March 26, 2014 08:20AM
Brilliant - I'll give it a whirl tonight.
March 26, 2014 08:49AM
I'm sensing some devotion here smiling smiley smiling smiley

Nicely done, will upgrade when released.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login