Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions about 5V DC supply and controll of cooling fan

Posted by Marc van Beelen 
Questions about 5V DC supply and controll of cooling fan
February 13, 2014 11:42AM
Hi all,

Very happy with the Ormerod, took some time to find the proper parameters in SLICR but now very pleased with the results. I will tell my experiences at later stage.

However, for now I have two issues that I can not get clear.

When the main psu is connected I only supply the Duet with 12V. The 5 VDC is taken from the USB connection, when USB is not connected there is no connection towards the Duet via Ethernet possible (also not at startup without USB connected). I have one of the later (green) versions.
Question therefor, if external 5V DC is prefered I assume that direct wiring from the PSU towards the Duet is required or is there an internal DC converter on board which should be activated with a jumper?

Second question concerns the fan. I understood it is PWM controlled, the software shows also a button "FAN OFF"
However, the fan is running continuesly at the same speed and the "FAN OFF" button does not react. I checked polarity of the fan which looks OK and it appears to be running in the right direction. Should is be PWM controlled or is it indeed only continuesly running?

Thanks for your replies.
Re: Questions about 5V DC supply and controll of cooling fan
February 13, 2014 11:59AM
Hi Marc, there is a jumper position near the top left corner of the board marked JP9 which has to shorted to operate the internal 5v PSU, on some early boards this doesn't work due to some resistors fitted in the wrong orientation but later boards should be ok.

The fan runs continuously much to the annoyance of some on this forum who are finding ways to change it, I am sure one of them will direct you to a thread regarding this

regards

Mike
February 13, 2014 05:40PM
Hi Mike,

thanks for your reply
jumper 9 is shortened so it appears to be one of the early boards. I will check tomorrow but I think there is a spot on the print reserved for 5 volt supply, if not I will ask RS for a replacement.

The fan is not a big issue, I was just curious and did not understand why the speed of the fan was not contolable, will order a low noise fan with my next order at RS.

Have fun with the Ormerod (I have)
February 13, 2014 05:55PM
To tell whether you have one of the early Duet boards, take a look at the area of the board in the area of JP9. It should look something like this:

The two SMD resistors R60 and R61 to the left of JP9 should be oriented horizontally as in the photo. If they are oriented vertically, then you have an early board.

Either way, don't ask RS for a replacement, they don't stock Ormerod parts. Ask RepRapPro instead.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

February 13, 2014 06:06PM
Thanks DC, I can't see for now since the printer is in my office, I will check tomorrow.
February 14, 2014 03:18AM
R60 and 61 are horizontal so it is the newer type, thanks for the info DC.
I noticed that when PSU is connected only that the ethernet led comes up after a while but very weak. I can ping the IP address but web interface is not working. I checked the voltage supply towards the IR sensor and is shows 2.2 V when only PSU is connected (very low) and as soon as the USB is connected it raises to 3.3V. So I assume something is wrong with the onboard DC converter.
Could also be that one of the sensors has a shortcut but disconnecting all sensors showed no improvement.

Below the 12V entrance there are a 5V PS connections. They measure 0V, independant if USB is connected yes/no or PSU is switched on.

I could try to connect 5V DC directly to that point, any reason why not to give that a try?
Thanks for your replies.
February 14, 2014 04:12AM
Marc, your Duet board is clearly faulty, so I suggest you ask RepRapPro for a replacement under warranty. But yes you can connect 5V to that connector, if you remove JP9 and install JP10.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login