Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence

Posted by MrCrispi 
Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
March 02, 2014 06:19PM
As previously posted I've been wanting to swap the mdf bed for something much stiffer for some time. I didn't however want to go in for wholesale changes, so @DC42's triangular design in 3mm Aluminium, based on a modified version of the original bed seemed ideal (thanks again @DC42). I did not however have the time or the inclination to manufacture one myself, so modified the original .dfx file for the bed to produce one that reproduced @DC42's design, then just got it Laser Cut in 3mm aluminium. I was lucky enough to get it as a freebie, but I have attached the files because there are a number of on-line laser cutting services where you can just upload the file and they'll cut it for you (just google it), so if you are looking for a quick straight-swap for the old bed this might do you well. In my version I drilled the small holes myself as I was worried that they would be too close to the edge for the Laser and also had to countersink the three securing screw holes, bit other wise it was a piece of cake - a straight swap, completely rigid and level to within 0.1mm when mounted on springs spinning smiley sticking its tongue out . It does add a bit of extra weight (alu element is 162g compared to 74g for the MDF), but given that the rest of the bed (glass, spreader, heat bed, clips) weighs in at 670g, it only represents a12% increase in overall weight, which I think is acceptable and so far appears to perform beautifully. I've attached .dfx files both with and without the manually drilled holes and also a couple of shots of it in place
Attachments:
open | download - TRIANGULAR BASEPLATE - with holes.dxf (14 KB)
open | download - 3 MM ALU BASE - no holes.dxf (28.2 KB)
open | download - new bed.jpg (84.5 KB)
open | download - in place.jpg (37.7 KB)
Re: Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
March 03, 2014 01:43AM
Great to get it as a freebie. When I modified the original dxf bed and sent it to some laser cutting company's it wasn't unusual to get a quote around £200. Max was £250. AHHHHHH
Re: Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
March 05, 2014 05:23AM
Yep, just sent this out for quotes, first two to return are £90 and £130, both plus VAT and delivery yawning smiley

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 05, 2014 08:24AM
I wonder if there is any benefit in a collaboration to buy a few rather than one-off. I know quite a fair bit of the costing is cutting time which obviously scales but there must be a significant overhead as well.

Plus one could put 2 or 4 together to make a rectangular shape and maybe help with cost on that front.
March 05, 2014 08:28AM
Possibly, i could get a re-quote for 10, 25, 50 pieces.

I could cut the raw shapes on my CNC plasma table but it would not be able to put the small cut-outs in that way which makes it a two process job.

March 06, 2014 06:23AM
Ok i have some prices for multiple part order by laser cutting..

Parts:-
10off £15 each
25off £10 each
50off £7 each

Delivery to me:-
10off £15
25off £20
50off £25

Its better, would there be any interest in this???

Hi
I'm definitely up for going in on the laser cut bed purchasesmiling smiley.

Jim
March 06, 2014 08:44AM
Hi

I would like to purchase two please smiling smiley

Dean
March 06, 2014 08:51AM
Ok, how much are we willing to pay?

I.e. what quantity do we need to hit before it reaches the price we are happy with??

I will have one of course, and that's two others so far.

If we hit 10 I think that's £16.50 a piece plus outward P&P, probably only £3 ea.

Please note that I opted for the version without the small holes for the 3 bed screws.

Apologies and credits also to the OP MrCrispi for designing and posting the file in the first place, I hope you are agreeable with my proposition?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 08:56AM by Davek0974.

March 06, 2014 09:35AM
I would like to join in but i'm not sure if you are willing to deal with international shipping (to switzerland in my case).
I would have no clue how much shipping would be but in total i would be willing to pay up to 40 gbp max (incl. shipping).
March 06, 2014 10:39AM
auser
I would like to join in but i'm not sure if you are willing to deal with international shipping (to switzerland in my case).
I would have no clue how much shipping would be but in total i would be willing to pay up to 40 gbp max (incl. shipping).

Of course i can, I send stuff everywhere smiling smiley

I would guess it would be easily done for under your limit.

March 06, 2014 11:14AM
I'm definitely in for one at any of those prices.
March 06, 2014 11:42AM
Davek0974
Of course i can, I send stuff everywhere smiling smiley

I would guess it would be easily done for under your limit.
Great! let's hope there will be enough interest
March 06, 2014 11:44AM
Davek0974
Ok i have some prices for multiple part order by laser cutting..
Its better, would there be any interest in this???

Yes one please..
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
March 06, 2014 12:12PM
Hi

I would like to purchase one if the price is abort 15-20 £ smiling smiley

/Per
March 06, 2014 12:32PM
Is it really not possible to laser drill the 3 small holes? Their position is quite critical. Even if you can only have a 1.5mm or 2mm pilot holes drilled, that would be a big advantage. Or, you could make the whole triangle slightly bigger and move the holes in from the corners a few mm. The print head can move at least 10mm beyond the front of the bed, so moving the whole bed forward a few mm so as to keep the holes further from the edges would be OK.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 06, 2014 02:27PM
So, with the heater connections on the right as you look at it, adjust shape, move the bed slightly right and make pilot holes?

Should be ok, doubt three piercings would affect the cost much.

March 06, 2014 02:50PM
Put me down for two please.

Ordering for a friend that I support as well....

Numbers are on the increase, great work.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
March 06, 2014 03:12PM
Looking good, we're up to 10 units, I'll wait a little more while looking at the slight mod mentioned above, maybe we can get the price down a bit more.

Everyone ok to pay with paypal?

March 06, 2014 03:39PM
Can count me in too
March 06, 2014 07:10PM
Paypal fine for me. Having the holes or pilots would make it easier.
March 06, 2014 07:41PM
TAKE MY MONEY! smiling smiley

I would be well interested in getting such bed.
Few questions:
1. Is it compatible ith current aluminium part based on holes for screws (looks like it is! smiling smiley)
2. I can do paypal, and based on London if you somewhere around (pretty much in London smiling smiley ) I can easily pick it up from you to make your life with postage eisier.

Please let me know: core@moka.co
March 06, 2014 07:58PM
Can I also request one of these as well. Paypal is fine by me.

Andy Hare
March 07, 2014 02:42AM
Yes PayPal OK for me. smiling smiley

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
March 07, 2014 05:33AM
I'll take one as well, with shipping to Denmark. And PayPal is perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 05:34AM by spiff.

Mikkel Holm Olsen
AKA Spaceman Spiff
March 07, 2014 06:25AM
Sounds like we're almost good to go, I have modified the DXF slightly to shift the relative position of the three critical bed mount holes towards the pointy end a little and given more meat around the hole locations, I have also provisioned the three points as 2mm piercings or pilot holes.

I will reconfirm if the price has altered slightly and get an order drawn up today for the first batch.

Will let you know the progress.

Thanks for the interest, personally I can't wait to get one fitted smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 06:25AM by Davek0974.

March 07, 2014 06:31AM
Hi Again

For the two i have ordered i am fine with PAYPAL. Just let me know when and how much it ends up at.

Dean
March 07, 2014 09:27AM
Great. Looking forward to this.

Can you make the modded dxf available?
March 07, 2014 09:53AM
Of course...

Attachments:
open | download - Bed Plate.dxf (16.7 KB)
Paypal is good with me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login