Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence

Posted by MrCrispi 
KP
Re: Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
March 07, 2014 01:22PM
I'd like one please. PayPal is fine with me.
Hi Dave

If you are still taking requests I would love to get one of these. Paypal perfect for payment.

Thanks,
Dan.
Re: Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
March 07, 2014 05:12PM
Yes of course, will be placing the order Monday if all is ok.

smiling smiley

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
I'll have one please

Regards

Chris H
March 07, 2014 06:19PM
Nice work @Davek0974 - kudos for picking up the idea and running with it - this is exactly what I had in mind when I posted it - you've got to love this community haven't you? smileys with beer
March 07, 2014 07:29PM
MrCrispi
Nice work @Davek0974 - kudos for picking up the idea and running with it - this is exactly what I had in mind when I posted it - you've got to love this community haven't you? smileys with beer

Definitely MrCrispi - it's amazing how much time and effort people put into things then pass on the results for nothing, yourself included,

Ray
March 08, 2014 03:30AM
It's what a good community is all about, this forum, and the machines it supports really are amazing smiling smiley

It's a pleasure doing stuff when you get so much in return.

Great initiative.
Have you thought to do the corner holes at the guideline size for hand tapping?

I'm keen to get one.
I'm in Israel but have a shipping forwarding option to get things here more cheaply.

Have you thought of setting up an account on emakershop.com or something similar to facilitate something more trackable than all of us commenting on the forum?

oh, and paypal is great for me too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 03:54AM by frank_bee.
March 08, 2014 04:05AM
For a small consideration, I could drill and tap the corner holes to 3mm, if that's what everyone wants in the corners smiling smiley

I have my own engineering shop in a double garage, but have no laser or water jet of course, just lathes, mills and tools by the ton.

Tapping the holes out would not take me too long to do.

Would that be a help???

I will look into emakershop as I have not heard of it until now, thanks.

Edit, signed up for an emakershop account, looks useful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 04:16AM by Davek0974.

March 08, 2014 04:59AM
frank_bee
...Have you thought to do the corner holes at the guideline size for hand tapping?...

I think you will have to put nuts on both sides of the alu anyway, you will need at least two steady bolts to carry the weight of the upper bed

Erik
March 08, 2014 05:06AM
ormerod168
frank_bee
...Have you thought to do the corner holes at the guideline size for hand tapping?...

I think you will have to put nuts on both sides of the alu anyway, you will need at least two steady bolts to carry the weight of the upper bed

Erik

Ok, so how about just make them 3mm clearance holes, quicker and easier, not laser cut though, drilled, it's more accurate at that size.

March 08, 2014 05:24AM
Davek0974
Ok, so how about just make them 3mm clearance holes, quicker and easier, not laser cut though, drilled, it's more accurate at that size.

That was my point, quicker and easier for you (if you all agree that tapping would not be very useful that is - it's just IMHO)

Erik
March 08, 2014 07:28AM
It would certainly last longer, 3mm thread into 3mm aluminium is ok from an engagement POV but strength wise it's pretty weak.

If no other ideas come forward, the holes will all be 3mm clearance drilled by me.

March 08, 2014 10:24AM
Ill take one. smiling smiley
Hi,
I will take one as well if its not too late.

Alan
March 09, 2014 05:12AM
Thanks all for the encouraging response, I'll get the order in Monday morning.

This will be for a bed with 3mm drilled clearance holes at the mount points, not tapped as suggested earlier.

Does any one need some M3x20 cap head screws as well??

These should be long enough to give adjustment and allow for locking nuts underneath.

March 09, 2014 05:30AM
hi, if its not too late i'll have one please.

Ben
March 09, 2014 07:25AM
I would not say "no" to bolts, as I am run out..
March 09, 2014 07:36AM
I'll have one as well please.

Thanks very much for all the effort that's being put in!

Cheers

Stu
Hi,
I'm hoping that I'm not too late as you said you'd put the order in on Monday, can you put me down for one as well, pretty please.

On an operational side of things, would replacing this part require running through the axis compensation again? Not that its a problem, just currious.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 10:19AM by cannibalistic_cow.
March 09, 2014 09:57AM
One please, too - if not to late
March 09, 2014 10:26AM
And one for me please.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
I'm wondering if instead of the rectangular cuts for the current vertical mdf parts, we can't only make screw holes that allow to fix the bed to bearings by using 2 PLA printed parts.
In this way we can definitively eliminate all the parts in MDF.

Roberto

RS Ormerod #117
March 09, 2014 01:26PM
Can I get in on this too please? Happy with paypal grinning smiley
March 09, 2014 01:52PM
cannibalistic_cow
Hi,
I'm hoping that I'm not too late as you said you'd put the order in on Monday, can you put me down for one as well, pretty please.

On an operational side of things, would replacing this part require running through the axis compensation again? Not that its a problem, just currious.

Thanks.

As in running ormaxis again?

If so probably not as the bed should have been pretty square when it was run before and square when the new part is finished.

But on the other hand, why not, it's an hour or so just to run the three legged part only so go for it smiling smiley

March 09, 2014 02:00PM
gammasistemi
I'm wondering if instead of the rectangular cuts for the current vertical mdf parts, we can't only make screw holes that allow to fix the bed to bearings by using 2 PLA printed parts.
In this way we can definitively eliminate all the parts in MDF.

Roberto

Well it could easily be done, but in my view, the wood parts that are left are vertically mounted which is the strongest and most stable direction, the bed mount on the other hand was thinner and horizontally mounted and stressed, both bad ideas.

You could replace the remaining parts later easily.

Of course, if wanted, I could get them laser cut, any interest in that idea?
That would be a direct swap out, I could factor in some lightening holes to reduce the weight increase to a minimum, should work well and that would remove the last of the dubious wood content.

Any good?

March 09, 2014 03:06PM
Davek0974
cannibalistic_cow
Hi,

Thanks.

If so probably not as the bed should have been pretty square when it was run before and square when the new part is finished.

But on the other hand, why not, it's an hour or so just to run the three legged part only so go for it smiling smiley

the print of, and the adjustment made from ormeaxis is to compensate for the angular error XYZ, a new bed will not change that, the new bed will be adjusted according to that, so the new bed from this tread will be a quick and easy fix for those sagging corners, adjusting the bed all the time is pain and a total waste of printing time

BTW, for the outer corner I would prefer to mount the bolt from underneath and tighten a nut against the new bed for easy spring adjustment of the bed with one nut spanner only, the two inner corner should be a once-off adjustment

Erik
March 09, 2014 04:01PM
ormerod168
Davek0974
cannibalistic_cow
Hi,

Thanks.

the print of, and the adjustment made from ormeaxis is to compensate for the angular error XYZ, a new bed will not change that, the new bed will be adjusted according to that, so the new bed from this tread will be a quick and easy fix for those sagging corners, adjusting the bed all the time is pain and a total waste of printing time

BTW, for the outer corner I would prefer to mount the bolt from underneath and tighten a nut against the new bed for easy spring adjustment of the bed with one nut spanner only, the two inner corner should be a once-off adjustment

Erik

Good point, unless the axes framework is stripped down, there should be no need.

Has anyone thought about expansion causing warp?

I'm seeing some bending forces being applied to by glass plate, it's flat when off the bed, but when the clips are fitted I'm seeing some bending forces from the aluminium/heater sandwich. Not doing anything about it until the new sub bed is fitted but was wondering about mounting the glass slightly off the bed maybe? Also maybe the heater plate and spreader plate should have one corner fixed and the other two points mounted on slots?

Is the expansion coefficient similar between the the hot bed and spreader plate, if not then the pair could spring similar to a bi-metal strip does.

Just wondering.

One more here thanks.
Paypal's OK
March 09, 2014 06:15PM
Davek
I'm seeing some bending forces being applied to by glass plate, it's flat when off the bed, but when the clips are fitted I'm seeing some bending forces from the aluminium/heater sandwich.

I've been using tape for quite a while rather than spring-clips for this very reason (initially I used it to avoid the fan vents catching the bulldog clips supplied, but then realised that A: tape applied judiciously doesn't bend the glass plate in the same way that spring clips could, and B: I could tie the top glass plate to the bottom MDF plate and better prevent slippage).

I bought a heater PCB from eBay which is innately domed, I hoped I could remove the doming by sandwiching it - I was wrong, unfortunately the materials I stuck it to complied with its curvature rather than the other way round sad smiley My RRP heating PCB is very flat, as is (was) the aluminium plate - siting a glass plate on top of the sandwich I made gives a visibly rocky glass plate (clamping it would presumably curve the glass) - all of this is observed at room temperature (but continues at higher temps - just to distinguish it from you bimetal question) - I'm guessing that your heat spreader or the pcb underneath are domed (try them against the thin edge of a ruler). I'm not sure that you'd get sufficient heat transfer if the glass isn't pretty much touching something hot underneath , suspending it above the PCB or heat spreader wouldn't be too efficient (think about the merits of the air gap in double glazing).

On the bimetal question, if the sub-bed and the spreader plate aren't glued together, they should be able to expand and contract independently (the surfaces could slide over each other) and won't cause curling (bimetal strips curl because they have a common welded interface that can't slip as the two metals expand at different rates, so the only way that the differential expansion can occur is if the two curl).

Cheers

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login