Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence

Posted by MrCrispi 
Re: Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
March 17, 2014 01:38AM
I would be interested in one as well. Paypal is fine plus shipping to the US if possible.
Re: Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
March 17, 2014 02:18PM
Update,

I had an email from the laser cutters today, they had an issue and were not happy with the result, they sent a couple of pictures. I was not happy either so they are re-cutting them and I will get them Wednesday so should be able to start dispatch Thursday.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 18, 2014 08:55AM
Hi Dave
Just let me have your payment details for my two on order, as i would love to get at least one of them fitted when you are happy enough to ship. My std beds have to be calibrated before most prints and i think this should fix this.
March 18, 2014 11:55AM
Hi

I'd like one of these please if you have any left?

Thanks,

Steve
March 18, 2014 12:00PM
Hello!
Only just read through this thread, what a good idea!

If you have any left or are ordering another batch I would really like one too.
paypal is ok for me, shippment would be UK.

would be much appreciated.
smiling smiley
March 18, 2014 03:25PM
Ok, payment requests have been sent for all orders up to this point, any new orders please read...

*************************************************************************************

This is for a laser cut aluminium bed in 3mm metal, three mounting points drilled 3mm clear and supplied with three 20mm M3 cap screws and three nuts just in case you are short.

UK Orders are £15 plus £3 postage, please send paypal to salesATddmetalproductsDOTcoDOTuk for £18 total. Multiple order quantities, please add the extra payment for whatever qty plus an extra £1.50 for each bed postage.

NON UK orders, please email me at enquiriesATddmetalproductsDOTcoDOTuk with your address and I will respond with accurate postage based on weight to your address.

Hope that's all clear, any problems please PM me or email preferably.

Naturally, if you are not a spam-bot you will replace the DOT and AT in the email addresses smiling smiley

Yours
Dave Kearley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 04:46AM by Davek0974.

March 19, 2014 04:20PM
Update...

The beds arrived on schedule, they look excellent too. I've drilled and prepped the first batch and they will be going out tomorrow.

Do they fit?

YES, I had to gently ease the edges of the square holes that locate it on the ribs with a sharp knife but apart from that, it was just a direct swap, took 15 minutes. If your'e careful with the three screws, the nuts will stay in the ribs, they are pain if they fall out.

Does it make any difference?

HELL YES, these simple plates are the missing link, the bed is now rock solid! It took a while to get the first level but got there in the end. I still have a little twist in my guide rods as there is a 0.5mm difference between the two front unsupported corners, however, this is far better than the 2mm swing I had before!!

I fitted it with the screws facing upwards, locked to the new bed with the spare nuts, no springs etc just nuts and locked up nice and firm.

I hope you will all be as pleased with them as I am so far, ran out of time tonight but will be doing final levelling and a print tomorrow night.

Thanks for the orders.

Are there any other parts I could supply?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 04:23PM by Davek0974.

March 19, 2014 06:19PM
I can't wait to get and fit mine!!

How about the X beam and rib, as someone has made in another thread? I'd be interested in one of those also...

Cheers

Stu
March 19, 2014 07:17PM
Davek0974

If your'e careful with the three screws, the nuts will stay in the ribs, they are pain if they fall out.

Great stuff. Really looking forward to this. I wonder whether some tape might temporarily stop the nuts falling out during the swap.
March 20, 2014 04:49AM
stoodle
I can't wait to get and fit mine!!

How about the X beam and rib, as someone has made in another thread? I'd be interested in one of those also...

Cheers

Stu

If someone could point me to a DXF, I can get a quote pretty quickly.

March 20, 2014 06:23AM
Found it, compliments to Joar107 for his work.

Mid way down the page....

Dxf's etc

Regards
Stu
March 20, 2014 03:25PM
Thanks

Looks like it will need anodising to stop the bearing wearing into the rib.

Will look into it.

March 20, 2014 06:36PM
Davek0974
Looks like it will need anodising to stop the bearing wearing into the rib.

thumbs up

Erik
March 21, 2014 07:19AM
Received this morning - looks superb, thanks!
March 21, 2014 07:36AM
Thanks, arrived safe and sound, looks excellent

Dave
March 21, 2014 11:14AM
Mine arrived as well, look excellent, can't wait to install, but will have to!

Great thinking ahead to include the bolts, thanks.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
March 21, 2014 03:45PM
Anyone got experience with eMakershop?

I have signed up and logged in but you need to contact them for a seller account, I did this twice over a couple of weeks but not had a whisper in reply???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 03:46PM by Davek0974.

March 21, 2014 04:29PM
Mine's installed - perfect fit and much more stable. Just tinkering with alignment now.
Also received mine thank you, looks excellent. Will install it over the weekend.

Thanks again Dave.

Dan.
March 21, 2014 09:52PM
Arrived & installed. Still getting to grips with levelling it.

Thanks for all the effort put into making this become reality !

Pete.
March 22, 2014 08:45AM
Anodising, unless hard anodised would not really help for wear, but actually not needed at all. smiling smiley

There are several products out there, including aircraft leading edge wing tape, prop tape and what I would use, 500 micron self adhesive ptfe tape, designed specifically to reduce/stop sliding parts from wear.

I have used it extensively in the past in harsh industrial environments and can testify to its performance, if you can't find it anywhere do a search for 3M products, though another option would actually be the kapton tape as supplied in the kit, though it may need changing on a regular basis.
March 22, 2014 01:09PM
Hmm, interesting, I was thinking hard ano.

But on the other hand, I have used some stainless steel self-adhesive tape on mine, so far it's not showing any signs of suffering at all and is easily replaced if it ever does., we use it at work so I have a ready supply for good cost.

This could be supplied with a standard alu part for the rib and would effectively stop wear from the bearing.

Hope to get a price early this week for water jet cut parts.

March 22, 2014 05:07PM
What's your work Dave, I used to manufacture self adhesive stainless steel shim tapes that was exported all round the world, in rolls of 10m and boxes of 30m!
March 22, 2014 05:07PM
Sorry, double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2014 05:08PM by jhkiom.
March 22, 2014 05:36PM
arrived safe and sound. looks great. thanks.
March 22, 2014 05:53PM
jhkiom
What's your work Dave, I used to manufacture self adhesive stainless steel shim tapes that was exported all round the world, in rolls of 10m and boxes of 30m!

I run an in-plant printers and die cutting room, we use the tape as packing on the back of cutting dies, it's very tough stuff.

Metalwork is a hobby and my home micro-business.

March 22, 2014 06:58PM
Thought so, I was MD of a company that made creasing matrix and other items for the die cutting industry, including the shim tapes. smiling smiley

We were the manufacturers for several large international matrix companies and our shim tapes (carbon and stainless) were rebranded many times, you most likely have used some that we supplied, though personally I got out of that business in '07 after 22 years!
March 23, 2014 04:36AM
jhkiom
Thought so, I was MD of a company that made creasing matrix and other items for the die cutting industry, including the shim tapes. smiling smiley

We were the manufacturers for several large international matrix companies and our shim tapes (carbon and stainless) were rebranded many times, you most likely have used some that we supplied, though personally I got out of that business in '07 after 22 years!

That's the stuff smiling smiley

0.002" and0.004" thick, should work perfectly in this application.

March 23, 2014 08:47AM
received ...... beautiful work ..thumbs up
...inspiring me a new Ormerod edition...drinking smiley

Thanks Dave

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
March 27, 2014 01:39PM
I'd like to thank MrCrispi for the plate design. I finally got around to making and fitting it. I decided to assemble (bottom to top), new triangular plate, air gap, aluminium heat spreader, heater PCB, glass (see photos). Not having suitable springs to hand, I used 3 nuts on each apex bolt for the time being. In fact it proved so easy to adjust that I will probably stay with this arrangement. I decided to try the bed without the cardboard insulator - hoping that the air gap under the bed will be sufficient to prevent the bed cooling enough to create problems. I have not yet tried it with a print, and maybe the bed whizzing back and forth during a print will create a cooling airflow sufficient to create problems - I'll see. I can easily fit the cardboard if necessary, but I prefer the appearance without the cardboard.

Initial static set-up has shown a vast improvement, with everything seeming far more stable and solid. It was a doddle to adjust the bed to be as level as possible. I found that the extruder is about 0.03mm closer to the center of the glass than the edges in the X direction, which I first thought was a bend in the acrylic X arm - but I found that a straightedge will rock on the glass, so it is actually the glass that is slightly bowed. That difference should not however cause problems (after all, it's been present all along, just hidden by the larger differences caused by the unstable MDF). So I've just selected a large area part to print, and will try it out to see how the new bed performs. I'm looking forward to seeing it print with no movement of the Z screw!

Dave
(#106)
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20140327_163621.jpg (440.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_20140327_164006.jpg (486.7 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login