Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence

Posted by MrCrispi 
Fitted mine today.
Nice and solid with easy adjustment.
I've fitted similar to Dave 106 but kept the cardboard as it cushions the thermistor.
Thanks for this modification. Works well.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 06:07PM by Jon Steward.
Re: Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
March 27, 2014 07:30PM
dmould
I'd like to thank MrCrispi for the plate design.
Dave
(#106)

You are very welcome Dave smileys with beer I have got so much out of this forum as I've found my way through, I'm just delighted to be able to contribute a little something back...
Re: Replacement Alu bed for those of us with no tools and/or time and/or confidence
April 02, 2014 05:00PM
I got mine yesterday and I just have it all fitted. This is a very nice upgrade. I have easily manually leveled my bed now. This thing has made the bed nice and solid.
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-04-01 14.55.00.jpg (496.9 KB)
April 02, 2014 05:15PM
Nice, makes a massive difference.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
April 03, 2014 12:49AM
Thanks MrCrispi and Davek0974,

You have really made a significant difference to the print quality of my machine. It is now working really well, and is nice and level since fitting the new bed last night. I noticed that the photo's from dmould show the heat spreader plate under the heater PCB, rather than on top of the heater PCB....is there any advantage to this order, or could it cause hotspots on the glass? Apologies if it has been covered before, did a search and no results came up. Busy fitting dc42's PCB now.

Thanks,

Bruce

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 01:10AM by brucep.
April 03, 2014 01:56AM
brucep
..heat spreader plate under the heater PCB, rather than on top of the heater PCB....is there any advantage to this order, or could it cause hotspots on the glass?...

Advantage yes if used as support for the fluffy MDF bed as in the quick and dirty fix - disadvantage?, I print wall to wall silly things and see no problems whatsoever

Erik
April 03, 2014 08:09AM
brucep
Thanks MrCrispi and Davek0974,

You have really made a significant difference to the print quality of my machine. It is now working really well, and is nice and level since fitting the new bed last night. I noticed that the photo's from dmould show the heat spreader plate under the heater PCB, rather than on top of the heater PCB....is there any advantage to this order, or could it cause hotspots on the glass? Apologies if it has been covered before, did a search and no results came up. Busy fitting dc42's PCB now.

Thanks,

Bruce

I reversed the order mainly because the tracks on the heater PCB are on top - so with the original assembly order the only insulation between the heater voltage and the aluminium plate is the thin solder resist coating. When mounted underneath, the plate is insulated by the fibreglass board. The heating tracks are so close together that there are no hot or cold spots - the glass spreads the heat perfectly adequately by itself. Plus I think the red board with its warning looks a lot better than plain aluminium.

Dave
(#106)
April 03, 2014 10:04AM
I had previously moved the square plate down to strengthen the original MDF and that helped quite a bit. With the MDF bed replaced by the excellent triangular aluminium one, I dispensed with the square aluminium altogether as I couldn't see what value it was offering if I didn't return it as a heat spreader on top. My feeling it wasn't really doing much there and wasn't really improving rigidity of the print surface which is largely down to the glass. So as excess baggage out it went to lighten the load n the Y motor further. It also makes the top part of the sandwich a little thinner so one can keep the gap between the triangle and the top a little smaller which all helps.
April 03, 2014 12:50PM
Hi Guys,

As I had already been browsing these forums and already spoken to Davek0974 on another forum, I ordered the bed upgrade at the same time as my Ormerod. I have just finished the build today but I am a little confused as to how best to do the heated bed.

There seems to be several different variations on here, with some people not using the cardboard or aluminium plate and others putting the aluminium plate under the heater PCB. (I am presuming if you are putting the aluminium plate on the bottom that you are making a hole for the thermistor)

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Les
April 03, 2014 01:07PM
Hi

I'm getting excellent results like this...

Assemble the bed as per instructions, cardboard under, heat plate then spreader plate, mount this on the three upwards facing screws in the new support plate. Use three nuts under and three nuts on top to lock the settings.

Works very nicely. smiling smiley

Hello,
What is the current status of this? Can I have it shipped to Sweden?

It looks like a worthwhile change, since the MDF irritate me every time I turn on the machine.
April 16, 2014 02:52PM
michaelljunggren
Hello,
What is the current status of this? Can I have it shipped to Sweden?

It looks like a worthwhile change, since the MDF irritate me every time I turn on the machine.

In the post tomorrow, thanks

Dave

All bed kits are now dispatched and I am away until the 19th May.

I have plenty of bed kits in stock smiling smiley

Dave

October 27, 2014 06:55PM
Is this also for the 2?
I am waiting for my kit to arrive, but given my experience with bed levelng on the Mendel ... Anything that can help s welcome!
October 28, 2014 07:11AM
Hi Fpex

No, the Ormerod 2 should not need this - we've updated the Y-carriage. And it's much easier to level than a Mendel!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
November 03, 2014 09:00AM
Anyone tried the "MK3 ALU-Heatbed Dual Power" instead? It has a 3.2mm aluminium core.
November 05, 2014 06:11AM
I'd be up for one but probably next month when I've got some money. Buying the Ormerod kind of hit my budget a bit this month tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login