Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD card working, anyone?

Posted by spiff 
SD card working, anyone?
March 07, 2014 04:35AM
Did anyone have success with the SD card shipped with the Ormerod?

From the messages on this forum, it appears that plenty of people had to replace the SD card. I'm glad I had an extra SD card from my old cell phone, so I didn't have to wait another couple of days to get a working SD card.

I find it strange that RRP ships an SD card and then write in the build documentation that there are reports of it not working, so you should try another one. One would think that RRP could find a card that works, and ship that. If not, I would prefer it they didn't include a card at all, but instead made it clear that I needed to order that separately, and list a few types/brands known to work.

Mikkel Holm Olsen
AKA Spaceman Spiff
Re: SD card working, anyone?
March 07, 2014 06:28AM
Agree, though i have found a good use for the supplied card, it works really well for poking the good cards in and out of the way too small card slot grinning smiley
March 07, 2014 08:06AM
spiff
Did anyone have success with the SD card shipped with the Ormerod?

From the messages on this forum, it appears that plenty of people had to replace the SD card. I'm glad I had an extra SD card from my old cell phone, so I didn't have to wait another couple of days to get a working SD card.

I find it strange that RRP ships an SD card and then write in the build documentation that there are reports of it not working, so you should try another one. One would think that RRP could find a card that works, and ship that. If not, I would prefer it they didn't include a card at all, but instead made it clear that I needed to order that separately, and list a few types/brands known to work.

Logistics. By the time RRP found out that there was a problem with the SD cards it was packing, they had already shipped a large number of kits to RS outlets all over the World. Changing the online instructions to warn people takes a few minutes and costs nothing, recalling all the kits, opening the boxes, replacing the SD card, re-sealing and shipping back costs a huge amount of time and money. I understand that all the kits shipped after they discovered the problem have different, working SD cards - but it could take months before all the old stock is sold so new customers may still have the issue. It will not help any of us if RRP go out of business!

Dave
(#106)
March 07, 2014 09:30AM
I replaced my card with a medion 32gb card I happened to see while out shopping! it has worked perfectly until this week, I tried to put it back in the pc to alter the config.g file and it now seems the my pc doesn't recognise it but the duet does.. how strange is that?
March 07, 2014 09:37AM
Mickyblueeyes
I replaced my card with a medion 32gb card I happened to see while out shopping! it has worked perfectly until this week, I tried to put it back in the pc to alter the config.g file and it now seems the my pc doesn't recognise it but the duet does.. how strange is that?

Quite possibly dirty contacts. Try going over them with a pencil eraser (make sure no rubber bits are left behind). Or maybe your PC card reader has given up the ghost? Does it work with other cards?

Dave
(#106)
March 07, 2014 09:55AM
Hi Dave, I have tried the card in several different usb and micro to sd adapters with the same results I have another card which works in the micro to sd adapters but not the usb one supplied with the original card.. its a right mix up.
March 07, 2014 10:17AM
Mickyblueeyes
Hi Dave, I have tried the card in several different usb and micro to sd adapters with the same results I have another card which works in the micro to sd adapters but not the usb one supplied with the original card.. its a right mix up.

The adaptor supplied by RRP has never worked for me - throws up a USB error when plugged in with or without an SD card. You could try re-formatting (FAT32) on your PC if it sees it at all - so long as you can replace the files, of course. Did you try all the different adaptors on the same PC? If so it could maybe be a PC USB or driver issue. Also try booting the PC with the SD card / adaptor already plugged in, and see if it shows up then. Sometimes the BIOS USB drivers are able to initialise a generic device that the normal OS can't.

Dave
(#106)
March 07, 2014 10:39AM
Hi Dave, the USB adapter was working fine until this week. yes tried it on 2 Pc's and it just isn't seen by either of them. I have ordered some more so no worries. but thanks for the adivice.

regards

Mike
March 07, 2014 07:42PM
I received my kit last week, SD card works fine, though the adapter wouldn't show up in an old USB 1.1 hub, only USB 2.0 on the PC itself....

Regards

Stu
March 10, 2014 03:31AM
Hallo,

my shipped SD-card don't work in the ormerod - but I can write and read it in PC with shipped adapter. I changed the card with one I have had and all works fine.

with regards
freerap
March 10, 2014 05:03PM
freerap
my shipped SD-card don't work in the ormerod - but I can write and read it in PC with shipped adapter. I changed the card with one I have had and all works fine.

That was also what I experienced. I am still using the card reader/adapter that came with the ormerod, because my other card did not come with a card reader.

Mikkel Holm Olsen
AKA Spaceman Spiff
March 12, 2014 10:33AM
Hi,

I have some commissioning problems.

- The Duet board can't read SDcards. When I send the M503 comand on the Arduino Serial Monitor I receive as output the following error:

Can't open 0:/sys/config.g to read from. Error code: 3
Configuration file not found

I tried 4Gb Kingston, 4Gb SunDisk with different adapters - no results (instead my laptop can read all the SDcards).
I also tiried to apply power to the board, then after a couple of seconds press the reset button on the Duet - still not working.

- Pronterface can't connect to the printer. When I try to connect the printer to the laptop I receive as output the list of the temperatures in a infinite loop (see attachment).

I've already updated the firmware to the latest version. Strange fact is that yesterday everything was working fine (I was doing the axis compensation).
Could be a Duet board problem? How can I solve it?

Thank you
Alessandro

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 11:12AM by alebaxi.
Attachments:
open | download - pronterface.png (106 KB)
March 12, 2014 12:06PM
It sounds to me that your SD card reader on the Duet has developed a fault. Pronterface is behaving like that because it needs the M555 P2 command in config.g to be processed. If you send M555 P2 via Arduino serial monitor, then disconnect serial monitor and connect Pronterface, it will probably connect.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 13, 2014 04:31AM
Thank you, Now Pronterface can see the printer online.. But the Duet board still can't read any SDcard.. so I can't set the configuration parameters..
Also the Z-probe gave me strange values (~ 200) when it got close to the bed..
Any suggestion?

Thank you
ALessandro
March 13, 2014 09:02AM
alebaxi
Thank you, Now Pronterface can see the printer online.. But the Duet board still can't read any SDcard.. so I can't set the configuration parameters..
Also the Z-probe gave me strange values (~ 200) when it got close to the bed..
Any suggestion?

Thank you
ALessandro

If you are certain that the SD card is being fitted into the Duet correctly (till it clicks into the socket), all I can suggest is for you to remove the Duet board and inspect the SD card socket carefully for broken or unsoldered connections. The next step unfortunately is to contact RRP for a replacement Duet, as it sounds very much that yours has developed a fault.

To continue commissioning while you wait for a replacement board you could perhaps load and print a local copy of the config.g file to the Duet via Pronterface to set up all the parameters, and run HomeX and HomeY from local files when you want to home the axis instead of clicking the homing buttons. I've never tried doing those things but I think it should work. I believe using the Repetier host instead of Pronterface will allow you to print via the USB satisfactorily - I have not installed Repetier myself so am going by what others have said. The precompiled version of Pronterface is too slow, and results in jerky movements that make a mess of the print.

Dave
(#106)
March 13, 2014 07:45PM
Hi Alessandro

Please check the following:

1. When you insert the SD card into your PC, you should see three folders - 'gcodes', 'sys' and 'www'. These need to be the first thing you see, ie not in another folder on the SD card. If you have been doing the axis compensation, make sure that you haven't deleted config.g from the 'sys' folder, or moved or mis-named it.

2. Have you pushed the SD card in fully? You need to poke it in past the printed duet enclosure, with a small screwdriver or something similar. It should 'click' in. To remove it, push it in again gently until it 'click's again, then release and it should pop out.

3. It could be dirt or dust in the SD card socket. Try cleaning the SD socket - see this message on the forum regarding cleaning - [forums.reprap.org] .

4. Are you running on USB power only? If so, see the note at the start of commissioning, regarding USB 5V power: [reprappro.com]
If the voltage is below 4.7V on the 5V line, try powering the Duet from the ATX power supply - for the moment, remove the heated bed ribbon cable and hot end connector. Put a jumper on JP9 (5V_EN) and connect the PSU, turn on, and test.

5. Is the main ARM processor getting warm/hot? We've had a couple of people report that the SD card has shorted out the processor, due to manufacturing defects. Unfortunately, this is usually terminal.

We will replace the Duet board under warranty if this continues to be a problem. However, However, we don't have access to the RS customer database, so please send me your full name and address, your RS order number, and let me know if you have a printer with red or green plastic parts. If it has red parts, please let me know the machine number from the certificate that came with it.

The Pronterface problem is because the config.g file is not being run. To set the Duet into the mode where Pronterface understands the responses, send 'M555 P2', which emulates Marlin USB output.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
March 18, 2014 04:14AM
Hi Ian,

I've tried all the solution you proposed - still not working. So I've decided to return the board for a replacement.
Can you please confirm your address:

Our registered address:
RepRap Professional Limited
House 6, Unit 7
Great Leaze Farm
Oldbury on Severn
Nr Bristol
BS35 1RF
United Kingdom

Please, can you also write me a reference name and a telephone number (courier requires them).
I've already tried to email you at both info@reprappro.com and support@reprappro.com but I had no answer.

Best Regards
Alessandro
March 18, 2014 05:45AM
Alessandro

Please send this to the support email address - that is the official channel for support, for giving out personal information. Also, please remove the email links from your post, or I will be inundated with spam email, and it will take even longer to answer customer emails. This is an open forum!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
March 18, 2014 05:46AM
Also, I have replied to your emails, at the same time as I posted in this thread. I'll email you now, too.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login