Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chuffed...

Posted by Davek0974 
Chuffed...
March 14, 2014 04:14AM
When it all works, it's most impressive, well i think so anyway smiling smiley

The little box below is a back-cover for the Nema17 motors on my CNC plasma table as they have double shafts and the grit can get in the bearings.

It was my first OpenScad design too, took me a few hours to figure out what does what, and one test print.

The ribs in the corners stop the cover pushing on too far as well as adding a little strength.

smiling smiley smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:45AM by Davek0974.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
Attachments:
open | download - boxphoto.JPG (174.1 KB)
open | download - Nema23 cover.scad (870 bytes)
Re: Chuffed...
March 14, 2014 05:35AM
Chuffed you should be - that's a good job all round thumbs up

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
March 14, 2014 06:57AM
Lovely print =)

I love that satisfying feeling of producing something great =)

and you now know the steepest part of the learning curve is behind you.

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
March 14, 2014 09:39AM
Isn't OpenScad great? I no longer use the expensive CAD proggie at work much, because with OpenScad it is far easier to make modifications to an existing part, and you can also make a single design that contains variable parameters so it is quick and easy to make several variations of a design. If you create many designs along a similar theme as I do, you can build up your own libraries to make common tasks quick & simple, or to emulate the tasks that you have become used to in the GUI CAD programs (e.g. filletting and adding drafts).

Dave
(#106)
March 14, 2014 09:48AM
OK guys: Now explain Minkowski to me. I was unable to understand the OpenScad explanation...
Greg

Ormerod #17
March 14, 2014 10:14AM
GregL
OK guys: Now explain Minkowski to me. I was unable to understand the OpenScad explanation...
Greg

Dunno - when I want to make a part with everything rounded off, I just try using it (with a sphere as the rounding object) and see how it turns out! It certainly increases the compile time a lot though!

TBH I think it's a bit of a gimmicky function - IMO you can achieve the same thing by using a combination of functions that are far easier to control. I've used it in a couple of my designs though - mainly out of curiosity. Probably of more interest when designing arty things. You can certainly make interesting shapes with just a couple of lines - try playing with the "$fn" values of:

minkowski()
{
cylinder(r1=20,r2=40,h=10,$fn=3);
sphere(r=5,$fn=13);
}

Dave
(#106)
March 14, 2014 11:02AM
Don't set $fn up to 50-100 unless you have a super-computer smiling smiley I tried it and even after lunch it was still rendering.

The other way i found of doing a rounded corner box is to use a sphere translated to each corner of the desired radius then to use Hull() to join the sides together into a cube, it works well but uses more code. On the other hand, as i have discovered, Minkowski does not seem to give 100% accurate dimensions, better when $fn10-15 is used but i think the Hull() method might be more accurate.

In my case it mattered not as it was the inside that mattered and it nailed that to super accuracy.

It's a powerful little program that's for sure

March 14, 2014 03:43PM
I find these openSCAD settings useful and have them as a blank template for new designs

$fs=0.8; // default 1, 0.2 is high res
$fa=4;//default 12, 3 is very nice
%translate([0,0,-0.5])cube([200,200,1],center=true); //build platform

$fs & $fa replace $fn and give more granular control

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
March 14, 2014 04:09PM
Davek0974

It's a powerful little program that's for sure

It certainly is.
I was struck by its ability to remember partial results from your previous F6 run.
So, in a complex render, if all you do is to alter a couple of translation values - the results come back almost instantly.
Greg

Ormerod #17
March 15, 2014 03:52PM
Hmm, odd, I needed a slightly larger version of my motor cover so I simply expanded the inner and outer boxes in openscad but it's printing now and one side of the box is being printed without infill, just two walls?

I have also today updated to dc42 firmware and also to the RRP python pronterface so it could be anything but has anyone had this before.?

Luckily I don't think it will matter much but it's annoying.

March 17, 2014 12:10PM
Davek0974
Hmm, odd, I needed a slightly larger version of my motor cover so I simply expanded the inner and outer boxes in openscad but it's printing now and one side of the box is being printed without infill, just two walls?

I have also today updated to dc42 firmware and also to the RRP python pronterface so it could be anything but has anyone had this before.?

Luckily I don't think it will matter much but it's annoying.

I assume the inner box creates a hollow with the "difference" function? If you created them with center=false (default), did you adjust the translation to keep the two boxes concentric?

Maybe temporarily slice the top off the box in OpenScad and see if the wall is solid.

I can't see how the firmware could cause that, but neither can I see that any slicer settings could result in infill being missed on just one wall.

There is a "scale" function in OpenScad that is sometimes easier to use to adjust part sizes.

Dave
(#106)
March 17, 2014 02:13PM
It was odd as it finished up fine, nice solid top.

Yes I used the difference with centre to true.

It was not critical so no harm done.

March 21, 2014 05:08AM
I've gone beyond chuffed now smiling smiley

With the new alu bed support fitted and even without fine-tuning the level, I just center-set Z zero and printed the attached thingy last night..

It's a dust cover for a reduction gearbox on my CNC plasma table, 100x100x38mm, my biggest print yet, put a 5mm brim on it and just left her for 4-1/2 hours, printed direct from Pronterface too.

Picture's not much but the walls are perfect all the way up smiling smiley

The wall thickness is a little under dimension, I designed 1.5mm in OpenScad but they are averaging out at 1.33mm - is that an adjustment or a test/adjusment I need to make somewhere in Slic3r????

Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (91.3 KB)
March 21, 2014 05:51AM
Davek0974
....is that an adjustment or a test/adjusment I need to make somewhere in Slic3r????

I think the drill is to print a single wall test and adjust the in Slic3r "extrusion multiplier" to that - afair mine is set at 0.79, default is 1.0

I used this one, you don't need to print it to full hight to measure of cause (and the print should be able to hold water over time if the print is perfect)

[www.thingiverse.com]

Erik
March 21, 2014 06:14AM
Thanks

that's tonight's job sorted out smiling smiley

March 21, 2014 06:17AM
You may want to read this short thread too:

Slic3r settings
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
March 21, 2014 10:18AM
ormerod168
I think the drill is to print a single wall test and adjust the in Slic3r "extrusion multiplier" to that - afair mine is set at 0.79, default is 1.0
I used this one, you don't need to print it to full hight to measure of cause (and the print should be able to hold water over time if the print is perfect)
[www.thingiverse.com]
Erik
Please elaborate.
Ive been looking at threads and are still a little confused as to what settings other people use for this test.
do you print the "single wall test" as a single wall (spiral vase setting in sliz3e) or do you (everybody) just intend that it is printed with no infill (obvious as it is not a solid).
I suppose the latter but would like somebody to clairify this, or even more about the steps you take in the process.

Thanks ! not just regarding this but for all the other helpfull posts Ive read around the forum and not commented on ;-)
March 21, 2014 01:54PM
SlinBin
ormerod168
[www.thingiverse.com]
Erik
Please elaborate.
Ive been looking at threads and are still a little confused as to what settings other people use for this test.
do you print the "single wall test" as a single wall (spiral vase setting in sliz3e) or do you (everybody) just intend that it is printed with no infill (obvious as it is not a solid).
I suppose the latter but would like somebody to clairify this, or even more about the steps you take in the process.

Thanks ! not just regarding this but for all the other helpfull posts Ive read around the forum and not commented on ;-)

I just created a simple solid cube in a CAD proggie, and sliced it with no infill and 1 perimeter. Stop the print as soon as there is enough height to measure the wall thickness. The wall thickness should equal the perimeter width as stated in the comments at the start of Silic3r's G file. If not, set the extrusion multiplier to the (ratio) of the difference.

Dave
(#106)
March 21, 2014 08:17PM
thanks for clarifying.
that is what i have done, the "single wall"/"thin wall" confused me and made me wonder if there where more to it.
in a sidenote; im amazed of the precision of this machine, my axis are all 90 deg. dimensions (length XYZ) are spot on (ore less than 0.05mm for 100mm thingys) and wall thickness was perfect until my 2end roll of filament, witch turned out to be 1.8mm and not 1.75, having sorted the last out (with the error that showed up in thin wall test) im back in game.
March 26, 2014 03:47PM
Did the thin wall test piece, very nicely too smiling smiley

Walls measured 0.54/0.54/0.53/0.53 which gives me an average of 0.535 so I set the extrusion multiplier to 0.5 / 0.535 = 0.934 does that sound logical?

March 26, 2014 07:52PM
Davek0974
Did the thin wall test piece, very nicely too smiling smiley

Walls measured 0.54/0.54/0.53/0.53 which gives me an average of 0.535 so I set the extrusion multiplier to 0.5 / 0.535 = 0.934 does that sound logical?

That's how I did it and it seems to be the way to go as all my measurement of dimension printed are spot on (but don't take my advice to seriously, I'm a total newbie)

Erik
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login