Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware: temperature correction, absolute extruder moves

Posted by dc42 
Re: New firmware: temperature correction, absolute extruder moves
March 18, 2014 10:15AM
rayhicks
droftarts
Most other firmware uses pre-generated thermistor tables embedded in firmware, requiring flashing updated firmware to change the thermistor values. We can change the thermistor values on the fly, as they are calculated by the firmware. I think splitting thermistor settings out from PID settings (M301) is advisable, or the M301 command becomes rather unwieldy, particularly if you're going to add other thermistor values. I suggest using M305, as this is currently unused.

why didn't you suggest this two months ago when the issue was raised? [forums.reprap.org] or at some time over the last week when we were discussing calibration and temperature reading issues?

Because I only just realised how dc had implemented M301, as I said. Back in January, I asked Adrian about what gcodes we should be promoting for these uses, and he said he'd think about it, as he didn't want to tread on backward or forward compatibility.

The g-code list is for a wide range of firmwares, and the Duet firmware is still rather new. So if you're documenting the extending functionality of a specific gcode, be very aware that it may confuse the hell out of other users! It's why we didn't document our change of use of M304 on that page. It may be better to lay off changing it on that page until features are stable and part of the main branch, or at least putting a sub section in to explain that you can't run this gcode on you RAMPS or Sanguinololu board...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
March 18, 2014 11:22AM
droftarts
The g-code list is for a wide range of firmwares, and the Duet firmware is still rather new. So if you're documenting the extending functionality of a specific gcode, be very aware that it may confuse the hell out of other users!

That's why the text I added for M301 reads "Some firmwares (e.g. Duet-dc42 firmware) supports additional optional parameters R (thermistor resistance at 25C), B (thermistor beta), L (ADC offset at the Low end of the ADC range) and H (ADC offset at the High end of the ADC range)."

That list appears to be the reference for gcodes supported by 3d printers, and in the absence of any other list specifically for the Duet, I think it is important to keep it up to date - with appropriate explanation where new codes/parameters are added that are only supported by the Duet firmware.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 18, 2014 03:18PM
Hi Ray,

Just given the temperature adjustment a try, and M301 H46 puts me pretty much spot on room temperature for the hot end.

Thanks again DC42 for implementing this improvement.

Ben
March 20, 2014 10:48AM
Thanks dc42,

Finally I have a hot end thermistor that reads a correct temp.

My settings were

M301 H52.1 L35
M304 H52.1 L35

miles away from yours, but now the bed and hotend read the same within a tolerance of 0.1c

Matt the Happy Bunny!! smiling smiley

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login