Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heating Problem

Posted by kefke44 
Heating Problem
March 17, 2014 01:10PM
Hi everyone,

I have a reprap ormerod which worked just fine untill a few days ago... The problem is that the hot-end never reaches the needed temperature in pronterface. But if I increase the temperature in the program, my printer's temperature increases as well but still doesn't reaches the asked temperature from the program which prevents my printer to start the print. (temperature is almost always 10 degrees below my asked temp.)

Is there someone who could please help me out?
Thanks in advance!!!

Greetings Kevin
Re: Heating Problem
March 17, 2014 02:02PM
What temperature are you trying to reach and does the hotend use a resistor or cartridge heater? Your issue can probably be fixed by doing a PID tune.
March 17, 2014 02:28PM
I'm trying to reach 180 degrees and I'm using a cartridge smiling smiley
March 17, 2014 02:42PM
Do you have fans blowing on the hotend? A picture of your setup would be nice.
March 17, 2014 02:44PM

imageyes, I do have fans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 02:45PM by kefke44.
March 18, 2014 07:44AM
I mean a picture of your printer...specifically of the hotend area...not a stock picture.
March 18, 2014 01:33PM
Considering that the hot end is able to maintain temperature at 10°C below the asked temperature even if the temperature is increased, I would guess that lack of heating power or too much air movement isn't the problem.

Try running PID auto-tune and see if that corrects the problem. Make sure you run it with normal printing conditions - fans running, typical print temperature, etc.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 18, 2014 02:31PM
Hi Kefke,

it looks like you have an Ormerod with a duet controller and NewPerfection might have moved your post in here (the ormerod section of the forum). If your hotend is underreading it might be time to upgrade your firmware (if you haven't done so) to one of dc42's updates (which have recently featured improvements in temperature measurement and PID control) you can download from here [github.com]

Ray
March 18, 2014 03:33PM
Hi Kevin, it is a known issue in fhe original Duet firmware that the hot end doesn't reach the target temperature. This is fixed in my firmware builds. However, even with the old firmware, it usually gets close enough to start printing. Check that the cartridge heater hasn't come part way out of the alu block and that the 6 way connector is making good contact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 03:34PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 18, 2014 04:51PM
dc42
Check that the cartridge heater hasn't come part way out of the alu block

Good point dc42 - make sure you don't try reseating it when it's hot though kefke!

Ray
March 23, 2014 03:00PM
with the update the heated end now reaches the right temperature but the heated bed heats way to much which prevents the printer to start
March 23, 2014 03:12PM
kefke44
with the update the heated end now reaches the right temperature but the heated bed heats way to much which prevents the printer to start

Can you explain further? What happens when you command the heated bed to e.g. 65C?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 23, 2014 03:52PM
the temp of the heated bed then rises and stops between 70and 73C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2014 03:53PM by kefke44.
March 23, 2014 05:20PM
1. Does the red light on the heated bed go out as soon as the temp has reached 65 (the target temperature), and then the temperature continues to rise to 70C? If so then this suggests that the thermistor is no longer in good contact with the heated bed.

2. Also run M304 and check that the P parameter is still set to -1, to make sure you haven't enabled PID for the heated bed.

March 26, 2014 08:40AM
it is still -1 and no the led goes off !! but it only goes above the asked temperature when I hit print...
March 26, 2014 08:47AM
kefke44
it is still -1 and no the led goes off !! but it only goes above the asked temperature when I hit print...

Sounds like there is a gcode to set the bed temperature in the gcode file you are trying to print. If you generated the file yourself in slic3r, set the bed temp parameter in slic3r to 0 to prevent it from generating a command to set the bed temperature. Also check that the custom gcode in the slic3r printer settings doesn't set the bed temperature.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login