Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing Speed

Posted by mjdj 
Printing Speed
April 15, 2014 09:14AM
Hi All,

I am very new to 3d printing and have owned my Ormerod for a few months now. After making some of the upgrades and modifications suggested on here (that you all for your good work) I am starting to produce some good results. I am currently using the default Ormerod Slic3r settings provided my RepRap. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck tinkering with the settings to speed the prints up a bit. Am curious as to at what point will speed increases start affecting the print quality. I do plan to have a play around with the settings myself but don't have nearly as much time as I'd like to play around with it. I was woundering if any one can suggest which settings are best to adjust, what to adjust/not adjust or any settings any of you have found work peticually well.

Thanks in advance for an help / advice

Mark
Re: Printing Speed
April 15, 2014 11:24AM
I did change the speed a bit in the infill speed from 20 to 40 also the solid infill to 35 and the top/bottom infill to 30.
This help me print a bit faster but it may not significantly. I print a part with default 20 in all speed setting that took 12 hours.
After adjust the speed mention i can finish in 10 hours saving 2 hours on the same part. But this may be another factor involve which i don't know.
Btw. The print quality is as good as the setting before change according to my eye can see, but i don't know the inside i.e infill etc having any different or not.
April 15, 2014 12:11PM
You must use DC42's firmware to print at faster speeds - it fixes an acceleration bug in RRP's firmware that will otherwise cause the steppers to skip at higher speeds. I've found that the limit to the speed is how fast your extruder can push plastic. At speeds above 65mm/s or so my extruder starts skipping when doing large area infills with ABS. Also set a slower speed for small perimeters and bridges. If you set thinner layers you can increase the speed a bit (thinner layers don't need to push so much plastic). The first layer is usually thicker, so slow that layer right down as well. You'll find that corners start becoming slightly deformed as the speed increases - probably due to lag in the Bowden tube causing the plastic feed to be out of sync with the XY movements. You also need to remove the Duet's default maximum speeds by sending the command "M203 X6000 Y6000 Z500 E3000" - it can be placed in the custom start code. My speeds are usually set at 60mm/s except for small perimeters (40mm/s), bridges (20mm/s) and gaps (20mm/s) I have set external perimeters at 70% speed, and first layer at 50% speed. Non-printing moves are set to 120mm/s (which erally helps speed up the print). My usual prints are 0.3mm first layer and 0.2mm other layers.

Dave
(#106)
April 15, 2014 12:54PM
I've increased my print speed to 60mm/sec for infill but left it at 20mm/sec for perimeters, and reduced it further for "small perimeters". I increased the non-printing move speed to 100mm/sec. To get these speeds, you need to use an M203 command to increase the maximum speeds. If the printer shakes too much, use the M201 command to reduce accelerations.

However, there are many others on this forum who spend far more time printing than I do, who can probably give you better advice.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 16, 2014 09:30AM
Thanks all for the tips so far, will try them out when I next get the chance
April 16, 2014 10:15AM
Just a check here. Is it ok to have M203 X6000 Y6000 Z500 E3000 in the config.g file?
I must admit I didn't know about this till I saw in a thread, and added it to Slic3r.... It's flying now... smiling smiley

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
April 16, 2014 10:43AM
Kim, I use M203 X12000 Y12000 Z180 E2700. I don't see much point in increasing the Z speed, and if you are not careful it may start missing steps if you command too high a Z speed because the stepper motor has to work against the weight of the X axis assembly. I've used X20000 Y20000 in the past, but it is only when you do very large movements that it makes a difference, due to the time it takes to accelerate to such high speeds.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 16, 2014 12:21PM
dc42
Kim, I use M203 X12000 Y12000 Z180 E2700. I don't see much point in increasing the Z speed, and if you are not careful it may start missing steps if you command too high a Z speed because the stepper motor has to work against the weight of the X axis assembly. I've used X20000 Y20000 in the past, but it is only when you do very large movements that it makes a difference, due to the time it takes to accelerate to such high speeds.

Not only that, but the Z axis has so many steps per mm that I doubt you could drive an unloaded motor fast enough to reach 100mm/s.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login