Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Press print and wait forever

Posted by antlvk 
Re: Press print and wait forever
April 18, 2014 06:41AM
Addendum - I have just swapped the network cable to the Ormerod and temporarily used the cable that feeds the rest of my house, which is in a different port of the hub and I know it is a working cable (otherwise the rest of the house would not have Internet). Same result, so I think we can eliminate the cable as being the culprit.

Dave
(#106)
April 18, 2014 07:29AM
Dave, thanks for that log. Java is not required by the web interface, only Javascript which is built-in to the browser. I'll see if I can find out what might be causing the -11 network error codes.

Are you familiar with Wireshark? If so, then a Wireshark log of a similar connection attempt (along with the corresponding Pronterface log) may be helpful to me in diagnosing the problem.

btw there is a bug in 0.57zb that causes it not to start up id there is no network cable connected. I'll fix it soon. It's caused by the long time that the system takes to initialize when there is no network cable connected, so maybe I'll sort that out at the same time.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 18, 2014 07:51AM
Thanks for that. Yes, I am very familiar with Wireshark, and will set up a filter for the Ormerod and take a network trace - though it won't be till later as I have other things that need doing right now. Looks like it was a good thing that I decided to try the web interface - normally I do not connect an Ethernet cable at home but instead switch on the Ormerod then have a shower, eat dinner and watch a couple of movies, by which time the Ormerod is almost ready to connect. Had I done that after upgrading the firmware in the office (where I always have a LAN cable connected), I would have been tearing my hair out!

Dave
(#106)
April 19, 2014 02:18AM
By the printer will pring if i turn off the manual bed n extruder heating button.
April 20, 2014 07:37AM
Problem sorted, though I might try to narrow it down some more later ...

Having been released from domestic duties, I decided to get a wireshark capture so that Dave might be able to see what the problem is. I did not have wireshark installed, so I downloaded & installed it. I set up a couple of simple filters ready for the capture, fired up the Ormerod and attempted to connect with Chrome. It connected and worked perfectly as far as I can see!

Nothing is physically different from the setup I had on Thursday evening. The only software changes have been an update to my free "Avast!" anti-virus, and the wireshark install.

My first suspect was Avast! - which I know interacts with web comms. There is however a possibility that the installation of the "Pcap" driver (with Wireshark) did the trick. So I fired up another PC with the same 64 bit Win7 OS, but which does not have Wireshark and had not yet had the latest Avast! update applied. First I attempted to connect with the Ormerod using Chrome, and got the same failure as I experienced on Thursday. The "Avast" update popup had appeared, and after the failure to communicate with the Ormerod I installed the Avast! update (requiring a reboot). After the reboot the PC connects fine with the Ormerod via Chrome. Note this was an update to the anti-virus program itself, not just a virus definitions update.

So it seems that the problem is either caused or triggered by the previous version of Avast! anti-virus. I did not however run any Wireshark captures while the problem was present, so still don't know exactly how Avast! is interfering with the comms. What I might do later is roll-back my OS to the restore point prior to the Avast! update which hopefully will bring back the issue, and do a capture with the fault present. The Avast! update must have been released either yesterday or today.

FWIW the current Avast! (free) version (after today's update) is 2014.9.0.2018 and the virus definition version it is currently using is 140420-0

Something maybe to bear in mind if other people have problems.

Dave
(#106)
April 20, 2014 08:48AM
Thanks Dave, I'm glad you got it working.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 23, 2014 05:27PM
Just had the same problem strip the print head etc. gave everything a good clean with as atone. All good now
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login