Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer stopped working.

Posted by cannibalistic_cow 
Printer stopped working.
April 16, 2014 12:12PM
Hi,
So after using my printer for a couple of months, doing upgrades, and fine tuning to work just right, my printer stopped working correctly last night.

The printer powers on okay, however the symptoms are; The web interface has stopped loading. So I checked he SD card, and bought a new one, just to make sure. But no luck. I can ping the .14 IP okay though so there is network communication.
I can connect to the printer using Pronterface, I can move the print head around okay, but the sensor temps are way off. The ed shows as 95 and the head is 155. If I set the temps higher than those values they turn on and start heating up. The temps will go higher than those values too, but when I switch them off, they'll only drop back down to around those values.

I've checked the wiring to make sure that the sensors are connected okay, and it looks fine to me.

The last step I took was to reset and reflash the Arduino with the most recent Firmware, But still getting the same thing.

Any ideas on what this could be, or anything else I can try to narrow down the problem?

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 12:34PM by cannibalistic_cow.
Re: Printer stopped working.
April 16, 2014 01:03PM
It sounds to me that either the 3.3V supply is way out of spec (possibly caused by an excessive load on it, or a faulty ATX power supply), or the Duet board has developed a fault. Here are some suggestions:

- If you have a multimeter, check the 12V, 5V and 3.3V power rails on the Duet.

- Power it off, disconnect all the wires from the Duet board (in particular, the IR sensor) except the hot end thermistor and heated bed, then power on again and see whether you still get the wrong temperature readings.

- Try a different ATX PSU, if you have one.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 16, 2014 02:34PM
I don't have a multimeter, but I'm sure they have one at work that I can borrow. I've also just given away my old PSU after upgrading. Then again I could just quickly swap the one out of my pc to see if that fixes it.

Going to sound like a massive noob right now, but where are the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V power rails on the Duet?

Just dissconnected everything other than the bed and head sensor and still getting the same thing. I disconnected the IR sensor ages ago. Much easier to do things by hand and eye.

Worse case scenario, do you know how much a new Duet board is? I'm assuming that they're custom as I can't see it on the Arduino wesite.
April 16, 2014 02:54PM
Try disconnecting the heated bed, then see what temperature readings you get. Then reconnect the heated bed (taking great care to plug the ribbon cable connector on to the correct pins), disconnect the hot end thermistor connection at the Duet end, and look at the temperature readings again.

You should get sensible readings with just USB power, so it is probably not worth trying a different ATX power supply.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 16, 2014 04:57PM
Ran the Arduino from USB power only and still the same thing.
Pronterface just spams the temperature, and remains around the same temp with each disconnected in turn.

Bed disconnected - T:138.7 B:89.1

Head Sensor D/C - T:137.9 B:89.1

Seems to be odd that it still appears to be sensing the temp, just incorrectly.

So to me this looks like a board fault. What about you?
April 16, 2014 05:01PM
If you send M115 via Pronterface, what firmware revision does it return?

April 16, 2014 05:15PM
When I click connect it came up with;
FIRMWARE_NAME:RepRapFirmware
FIRMWARE_VERSION:0.57a ELECTRONICSgrinning smileyuet
DATE:2014-01-16

But when I send the M115 cmd it tells me that the printer is offline.

I rolled the firmware back as I seem to have some difficulty with the new one. It keeps dropping connection when ever I try to connect to Pronteface.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login