Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ormerod enclosure

Posted by 88Zombies 
ormerod enclosure
April 25, 2014 08:48AM
firstly, I'm sure i saw a thread on this before (that was quite large with lots of info actually) if any one could point me towards this id be most gratefull..

I'm looking at building an enclosure for my ormerod for a number of reasons, repel dust, reduce noise, boredom, looks cool.

Is there anything i should know?? I'm looking at using some sort of acrylic or something similar.

do i need to build anything in to stop overheating? this could be a problem as the main reason i would like an enclose is to reduce noise...

Any help MUCH appreciated.
Re: ormerod enclosure
April 25, 2014 11:17AM
I built one, alloy frame, push in corner connectors, 3mm Perspex walls. But so far I have not fitted two sides, these were going to be doors.
But since then, I fitted a quieter fan and felt I didn't need to 'finish' the enclosure with the doors. The fan made such a huge difference to the noise alone.
The enclosure also needs to be pretty big so you can get your hands and head all around the printer, and it now looks 'too big' sat on my works desk.
Not sure I would have bothered.
But it does keep things from falling onto it in my office environment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 11:19AM by balidey.
April 25, 2014 02:00PM
balidey
I built one, alloy frame, push in corner connectors, 3mm Perspex walls. But so far I have not fitted two sides, these were going to be doors.
But since then, I fitted a quieter fan and felt I didn't need to 'finish' the enclosure with the doors. The fan made such a huge difference to the noise alone.
The enclosure also needs to be pretty big so you can get your hands and head all around the printer, and it now looks 'too big' sat on my works desk.
Not sure I would have bothered.
But it does keep things from falling onto it in my office environment.

I read that a full enclosure helps tremendously with warping, especially of ABS prints, but needs to be temperature controlled, so you would need to fit a separate enclosure fan controlled from the ambient temperature inside the case.

Dave
(#106)
April 25, 2014 03:49PM
I have mine in an old data cabinet I salvaged from work, it was getting thrown in the skip! as soon as I saw it I thought I know what I can do with that! I have fitted white led lighting to use when I work on it and cold cathode uv lighting while printing. I've printed all the gears in fluorescent yellow and have all the wiring wrapped in uv cable wrap, it looks cool printing in the dark cool smiley I have external usb to plug into so the door can be closed. it also has space for a 120mm fan in the top but this is blanked off at the min, I'm planning on fitting temperate control at some point.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2528.JPG (575 KB)
open | download - IMG_2530.JPG (577.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_2531.JPG (577.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_2532.JPG (581.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_2533.JPG (566.8 KB)
April 25, 2014 04:56PM
Excellent!

Dave
(#106)
April 26, 2014 12:39PM
balidey
Can I ask where you got the stuff?
Greg

Ormerod #17
April 26, 2014 01:47PM
I bought the corner connectors from here:
[www.essentracomponents.co.uk]

and the alloy box section was from Service Metals.

Sheets of clear polycarbonate for the walls was from a local plastic sheet supplier.

But my company has accounts with these companies, so I just ordered the bits I wanted without thinking too much about it. If I was making an enclosure for my own personal home use printer, I think that enclosure bigben used would be ideal.

The corner connectors are great though, I made a lower compartment that the printer sits on, so my power supply is underneath and hidden from view. And I made a shelf out the back of the enclosure with a rod to carry reels of fiilament.
May 01, 2014 03:32AM
the data cabinet from bigben looks like a perfect solution.

are the the dimension 19" and 10 height units?

i want to start print ABS in my 17 degree cold cellar.
i think this cabinet is easy to climate, has a possibiltiy for a light forced ventilation to get the fumes out trough a cellar window and its more fire proof than a plexi cabinet.

nice idea!
May 01, 2014 04:10AM
that does look like an amazing solution!!! kicking myself as work was throwing out something similar, a water cooler (that keeps the water at room temperature, not cold...)
took home thinking id have a use for it. took to the scrap after 6months of not finding a use... bugga

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 04:18AM by 88Zombies.
May 01, 2014 05:34AM
I am trying this inexpensive enclosure - no positive ABS results yet (mainly due to a corrupted Micros SD card I think).
Climate..pdf
Sorry about the image - only way I could find to cut down the 2.7Mb file was to put it in OpenOffice and export as pdf.
Greg

Ormerod #17
May 01, 2014 07:30AM
Who needs LED lighting when you have a lamp shade like that!
Good low cost solution.
May 03, 2014 06:30AM
Hey!
Currently away from my precious ormerod, just trying to source a nice enclosure.
Any on have the dimensions to hand? Can see the width is 500mm wide on the RS website but is that including the movement of the Y axis both sides, anyone??
Help greatly appreciated!
May 03, 2014 11:42AM
88Zombies
Hey!
Currently away from my precious ormerod, just trying to source a nice enclosure.
Any on have the dimensions to hand? Can see the width is 500mm wide on the RS website but is that including the movement of the Y axis both sides, anyone??
Help greatly appreciated!

Full width of mine, including bed overhang at Y extremes and the supplied bed clips fitted is 470mm, so 500mm gives you a reasonable margin

Dave
(#106)
May 03, 2014 02:31PM
Brill cheers Dave! Really owe you, up North was about to but something that could work as an enclosure that's 50mm to small. Thank you.
May 17, 2014 06:37AM
If creating an enclosure would it be a good idea to regulate the temperature??
If so what would be the ideal temperature for both PLA & ABS??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login