Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

anyone redesign the z nut trap?

Posted by parper101 
Re: anyone redesign the z nut trap?
May 12, 2014 04:37AM
KimBrown
Erik.... My printer travels 1200 MILES / Month....... How far does yours travel?
On top of that it spends 50% of it's life on the Ocean..... Does yours?

What differnce does that make, even more reasons to get the z-axis fixed, don't you think? - as I wrote, this is not right:

...You can push it back square very easily, you don't have to slacken screws....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!angry smiley......and furthermore.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

he he....

Erik
May 12, 2014 04:55AM
eye popping smiley

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
May 12, 2014 05:44AM
droftarts

Yes, Erik, I've added 2 x M4x10mm countersunk for the z-corner-bracket to the list for changing! Not much I can do about the people who have already received their kits, unfortunately...

..no I can't think of anything either....Heeey, wait a minute! - how about adding a note in the assembly instruction to shorten the already received 12mm screws?

[reprappro.com]

;-)
Erik
May 17, 2014 05:22AM
This is my take on the Z Nut Trap piece...

• It is printed laying down, and I think it printed better and faster
  • It has an 8mm, fully enclosed nut recess.(As you can see from the photo I use a larger Z Nut)

Note. I use a microswitch for the X axis and Z axis, which means I am completely probeless. (Not sue if this piece would work with the probe)

I am probably going to do some more tweaks as I have room for more meat around the top nut. I was also thinking of added a piece next to the top nut with a hole to grip the filament guide tube.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 17, 2014 02:38PM
Looks good. Is the design shared and available somewhere?
May 17, 2014 04:20PM
I tweaked the design a bit and added a filament guide....

I have attached a version without the guide too, in case you don't like the idea. If you are going to use the one with the guide, clean out the small hole with a 2mm drill, and then carefully clean up the other side with a 3mm drill.(Don't go too far, it should go in 5mm)

As stated above I am probeless so not sure if this would interfere with the probe or not.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
Attachments:
open | download - Z Nut Trap Mk2.stl (222.1 KB)
open | download - Z Nut Trap Mk2 No Guide.stl (159.9 KB)
October 04, 2014 04:13AM
Hi Guys.
It's been a while (several months) but finally found time to look at my printer again.
I've just fitted the aluminium x rib but realize now that I should have printed the modified z nut trap.
Would any of you kind people be able to print one off for me and post it.

Thanks

Jon
October 04, 2014 04:53AM
Jon, which country do you live in?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 04, 2014 06:25AM
I live in Bishop's Stortford. UK.
I will, of course, cover all costs.
Thanks.
Jon
PS I'm also fitting your no.5 kit.
I'm a bit behind with all your developments at the moment.
So trying to catch up now I've got my priorities sorted.
October 04, 2014 03:18PM
I've just printed it and I'll put it in the post on Monday. Please send me your address by PM, to save me searching my paypal records.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 05, 2014 07:46AM
FWIW I just found an Z axis issue that has plagued me for a few weeks. That long brass Z nut was binding something terrible on the new steel threaded rod. It is possible the nut needed to have a tap ran through it, but replacing it with a simple small nut has fixed the issue and so far it sounds and prints much better. Not sure what happened, the nut went on cleanly originally, but I had to use a wrench on it in the middle of the rod to get it off just now. My Z rod moves slightly at the top, nothing major. The threaded rod was run through a die but I didn't have the tap set when I got the brass nut. If you still have Z axis trouble, double check that the Z nut is free to travel on the threaded rod. And I am using the extended Z nut trap as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 07:48AM by Amsterdamman.

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login