Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updated firmware 0.58d-dc42 and web interface 0.73

Posted by dc42 
Updated firmware 0.58d-dc42 and web interface 0.73
April 29, 2014 06:59PM
I've released new firmware at [github.com]. Changes are:

- Fixed a bug (introduced in 0.58 - sorry!) when one file was called from another, which caused various issues
- M111 S2 command now displays uptime since last reset
- Merged changes by zombiepantslol to enable cooling fan PWM to be inverted, except that M106 'I' parameter now only inverts fan PWM when >0
- Non-homing moves when bed probing is underway are now done at max speed
- M999 reset command now delays 0.5 second to allow response to be sent back to the browser, otherwise it may retry the reset

I've withdrawn 058 and 058c. I've left 0.57y in place for now in case anyone has issues with 0.58d.

I've also released web interface 0.73. This fixes a bug whereby the object height was not calculated correctly when doing a direct web print.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 07:09PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Updated firmware 0.58d-dc42 and web interface 0.73
April 29, 2014 07:09PM
Btw I'm thinking of withdrawing the direct web print facility in the next version of the web interface, because Upload & Print is safer to use, and just as convenient apart from the short delay at the start while the file is uploaded. It would reduce the complexity of the code and the amount of testing that needs to be done for a new release. Does anyone object?

Of course, if Matt wants to take back development of the web interface, I'll gladly hand it back to him!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 07:12PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 29, 2014 07:17PM
No objections, I don't use it anyway.
The upload and print works well, I can't see the point of having another print option.

I'll print the same job again in the morning and let you know if the reported figures are now correct.

Thanks again for a great job.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
April 29, 2014 08:05PM
I might have tracked down the locking up bug....
Not sure till DC checks it, but hopefully might be able to point him at something to check...
I run 57y, and just had a lock up again... But it's repeatable... I think.... with one line of Gcode that points a bit in the firmware (Maybe???)....

David, please leave 57y available, even if it does have the above bug in... It is fairly solid as Firmware for people to upgrade to....
I wouldn't have found the above fault had my table Y movement not gone silly.... I've just re-downloaded the Homey.g file as I think I cooked it while altering speeds... Hence I tried what I sent you as the Y axis didn't need setting for what I was going to print..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 08:11PM by KimBrown.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
April 30, 2014 03:16AM
dc42
d a bug (introduced in 0.58 - sorry!) when one file was called from another, which caused various issues

Was this causing the problem with my sedbed file? If so well done for nailing it. I'll upload and test the new firmware later.

What has changed in the web interface file wise, is it just the htm, and can't I upload this without removing the microsd card? (I don't really want to take my microsd card out unless I have to, as it's giving me problems.)

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
April 30, 2014 03:32AM
David,
Latest firmware 058d-dc42 is running but as soon as I switch the Ormerod on the hot end fan starts. It used to be off until the hot end heater was working.
Also did you manage to resolve the issue that occurs when you pause a print and then press the reset button on the interface, ready for the next job, the bed fan stays on, it should be turned off on a reset.
That is if I am using the reset button correctly, to clear the previous print job and put the machine in the state it was in prior to initiating the previous print job.

Also the interface 073 isn't in your normal place, it is still 072. Is there a new link, you didn't provide one in your release post.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 03:36AM
David,
Just realised your second post says about the height calculation and the direct print.
The problem I had was with the upload and print not calculating the height correctly, not the direct print.
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 06:01AM
Hi Paul, yes I know that. However the bug fix to the firmware may have a bearing on the issue you reported.

Hi Les, the change to the web interface software is to reprap.htm and .js but only affects direct web printing. So you don't need to update it if you don't use that function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 06:16AM by dc42.

April 30, 2014 06:26AM
David,
I did a print this morning with the firmware 058d-dc42 and the height was still reported as 5.00mm

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 06:45AM
Thanks Paul, I'll try printing the gcode file you attached to a previous post.

I've pushed web interface 0.73 to github.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 06:46AM by dc42.

April 30, 2014 06:53AM
Just to confirm the setbed file works as expected with 58d.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
April 30, 2014 07:17AM
appjaws1
David,
I did a print this morning with the firmware 058d-dc42 and the height was still reported as 5.00mm

Paul

I just tried your gcode file and it reported 0.24mm, which is different but still wrong. Either I've done something blindingly stupid in the firmware and can't see it, or my earlier theory about there being a bug in the filesystem or SD card access library was correct. I'll take a further look when I get the chance, but it probably won't be today.

April 30, 2014 07:31AM
David,
How very strange when it reports 5.00 mm on my setup.
I am in the process of a different print, but again with 2 items on the platter and the height being reported is 52.80 when in fact it should be around 34mm for the tallest part.

Please take your time, it's only a minor issue. I know how busy you are, I don't know where you find the time to do all that you do for us ormerodiums.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 07:34AM
Well Done DC..... You were right about the connections on the Y-axis limit switch.
I've just had a quick look while it's printing, and just noticed there's one of the wires hanging off the switch.
I'll solder it on I think. I wonder if this was the cause of the locking up as well... I'll check that out after replacing it.

Thank you....

Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
April 30, 2014 08:10AM
David,

Sorry new problem. using 058d firmware and 072 interface.
I have just had to pause a print but it didn't pause. The reset button did not work either. I had to power off and on so that I could lift the hot end.

This was doing a print from the upload and print button.

In addition to the height not being calculated correctly I've just noticed that the layer count is also way off, they must be linked because a layer height of 0.24 X 220 layers gives a height of 52.8mm which is what is being reported.
This was the reported progress at the time of stopping the print.57% Completed, Layers 60 of 220, filament 3820 of 6627

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 08:20AM
Paul, the firmware only scans the last 32K of the file, and the last G1 Z command in your file was further back than that. I'm wondering whether the 5mm may have been left over from a previous print, or from running a setbed.g file, or similar. Please can you try starting the print again, but this time clear out the object height field first, so that it shows just "mm" in grey.

I'll increase the amount of file scanned to 200K in the next build. I'll also change the web interface to clear out the object height field before it tries to find it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 08:21AM by dc42.

April 30, 2014 11:29AM
Dave,
As requested, I cleared out the height box so it just said mm in grey, started the same print again and after a time the information strip had 1% Completed, Layers 1 of 63 Filament 125 of 8100. The height box stayed the same at mm greyed out.

Again having to stop a print when the pause and reset are not working entailed turning off the power to the Ormerod. The pause worked prior to this last update to 058d.

Hope this helps
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 12:06PM
Paul, thanks for testing, that confirms what I thought. btw the % completed now works off the filament consumption if the total filament required has been determined and is nonzero, and the number of layers if not.

There has been no intentional change to the pause and reset behaviour. I'll do some tests on that.

April 30, 2014 02:49PM
dc42
Btw I'm thinking of withdrawing the direct web print facility in the next version of the web interface, because Upload & Print is safer to use, and just as convenient apart from the short delay at the start while the file is uploaded. It would reduce the complexity of the code and the amount of testing that needs to be done for a new release. Does anyone object?

Of course, if Matt wants to take back development of the web interface, I'll gladly hand it back to him!

Thanks for picking up the development of this now that my free (tinkering) time has been greatly reduced, feel free to make any changes you wish, it is after all for the good of the community.

I have been able to put some limited dev time to the interface and my own dev version has _all_ file upload types in one place, the interface then handles them appropriately via a modal choice popup, I have also put some time into changing the head movement controls to a jog/nudge style interface (similar to pronterface) this is however along way from complete.

Re: the direct print, to be honest this is really the only type of printing I do as i'm far to impatient to wait for the pre-upload, so I would most likely retain this in my own version, if possible.

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
April 30, 2014 02:58PM
Matt,

No problem, I'll leave the direct print facility in place. I stopped using it once I realised that if I try to use the PC for anything else while printing with it, the web interface isn't always able to send data fast enough for the printer, and the print quality suffers.

One thing missing from direct print is that I haven't added code to look for the total filament used at the end of the file and so display an estimated print time based on that.

It occurred to me that when using upload&print, there could be a configuration option to start heating the bed to a specified temperature just before uploading. That would mean that something useful is happening during the upload. I may also look at whether we can further improve the upload speed, now that I've rewritten the network layer in the firmware.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 02:59PM by dc42.

April 30, 2014 03:23PM
Hi Matt,
What sort of times are you waiting for the file to load and start printing? All of my printing is now done via the upload and print. It only takes 1-3 mins. I must admit though I would have already had the bed heated as part of my setbed routine, and the hot end would be up to temperature at the end of setbed, so the print starts as soon as it is loaded.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 04:05PM
Paul, would you care to try the pre-release version of 058e here [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]? I believe it fixes the problem with finding the layer height for your print, and also the pause/restart problem.

April 30, 2014 04:15PM
Yes - now downloaded but I can't try it until my current print has finished, about another 50 mins.
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 05:44PM
The new firmware seems to be working fine. Initially the height defaulted to 5mm but as soon as the print started the correct height of 15.12mm was displayed. It should be 15mm but I'll double check that in the morning.

Very happy, thank you.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 07:16PM
Just thought you would like to know, My print has just finished using your e firmware. The print completed with no problems, just for completeness here are the final figures:-
99% Completed, Layer 63 of 63, filament 6774 of 6779, Filament estimated time left 05s.

I think an error in filament of %0.05 and an error in time of %0.07 is very acceptable, after all the whole idea of these figures was to give an idea how long a print will take and when it might finish.

I think this firmware fulfils this requirement admirably.

Well done and thank you Dave

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 30, 2014 08:38PM
Thanks Paul, I'll put that version live.

April 30, 2014 09:10PM
Version 0.58e of the firmware is live here [github.com] and web interface 0.74 here [github.com].

I'm hoping that I can now leave these alone for a while; but pleased continue to report any issues you have with them.

May 01, 2014 01:29AM
Dave,

You are doing an amazing job with these firmware issues, and I wish I could do something to help. I think we (ormerod community) owe a debt of gratitude to you, and all the others who do so much to improve the machine on a daily basis......for what it's worth; your efforts, and expertise is truely appreciated. If you're ever in OZ I'll be the first to buy you a beer.

Regards,

Bruce
May 01, 2014 05:21AM
Dave,

Would it be possible to incorporate a procedure that will allow the updating of the interface without having to remove the SD card.
I seem to be removing the SD card quite a lot these days, although the instance is getting less.
It would just be a good thing if removal could be eliminated to stop wear and possible problems with the SD card in the future.
Thank you
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
May 01, 2014 06:04AM
Yes, it would be nice to be able to update at least reprap.js remotely. Also I occasionally find myself needing to update some of the homing files in /sys. I'll look at extending M559 and M560 to allow a filename and path to be passed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login