Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

F5 compile in OpenScad

Posted by appjaws1 
F5 compile in OpenScad
May 02, 2014 07:03AM
Hi,
Just a quick question.
If I import an ormerod part into openscad and say union a cube with a difference cylinder for a hole, when I press F5 to see the results some of the imported part becomes transparent, as if parts are cut out. If I F6 Compile and render then the model is as it should be but of course that take a lot more time.

Any clues what I can do so that with F5 the imported part is displayed complete?

Thanks
Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Re: F5 compile in OpenScad
May 02, 2014 07:26AM
Paul, can you explain what you mean by "import an ormerod part into openscad"? I'd love to import RRP's parts, but unfortunately they are not in a format the openscad understands.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 02, 2014 08:03AM
My mistake, The item I imported was iamburnys-custom-duet-enclosure.stl.
I thought I would have a go at making it deeper as opposed starting from scratch.
I'm not sure how he made the stl but maybe that is what is causing me difficulties.

I think I might have to do what you have done and make the part completely.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
May 02, 2014 08:49AM
You can import the ormerod stl parts as a whole into OpenSCAD - import("path/ormerodpart.stl");

I do find that some ormerod stls need to be 'repaired' in say netlab first as otherwise Open SCAD doesn't like them.

You can't manipulate bits within the part as its just a mesh, but you can add parts on and subtracts bits off. So it is most useful for tweaking around the periphery rather than adjusting any of the internals.

That is just what I did to 'fix' up the Z nut trap.
May 02, 2014 09:43AM
bobtidey ,
Thanks for that,
I did look at your Z nut trap and I had the same problem when hitting F5, parts of it would go transparent which made it very difficult to see what was going on.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
May 02, 2014 10:16AM
Yes. The bits that go transparent are in the original STL. Don't know why that happens. I must admit I use F6 most of the time to get reliable results.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login