Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

deeper duet enclosure

Posted by appjaws1 
deeper duet enclosure
May 04, 2014 07:41PM
Attached are the stl files for 2 versions of the duet enclosure that are deeper so that connectors do not need to be bent.
appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v2-stl has an open back so that the supplied acrylic can be used.
appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v1-stl has a solid back so that the duet board is attached with captive nuts.

Both enclosures feature stand offs for the duet board mounting and also provide additional screw holes so the enclosure can be mounted further away from the Z axis, past the end of the aluminium extrusion.

Please note:- I have just started learning to use OpenSCAD and work with 3D. I have not printed these and will not have access to my Ormerod until the end of the May.

When you have printed one please let me know if it was ok or indeed if any changes are needed.

enjoy
Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v1.png (8.5 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v2.png (8 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v1-stl.zip (176.5 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v2-stl.zip (114.6 KB)
Re: deeper duet enclosure
May 05, 2014 04:12AM
@Paul, Many thanks for sharing these. Now on the 'to do' list.....

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
May 05, 2014 04:24AM
Paul, can you post the openscad files? slic3r is reporting that it has auto-repaired 8 errors, and I'd like to see what it thinks they are before I print.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 05, 2014 05:02AM
The solid base option does not report any errors.
The open back option reports 8 errors which are auto repaired.
These errors are to do with the 8 holes for screw fixing, I think I didn't extend them beyond the face enough, although they looked complete on the rendering, however I think it will print correctly.

I can't post the OpenSCAD files because I am on limited bandwidth on mobile data until the end of May, but I will gladly post them after that.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
May 05, 2014 05:23AM
appjaws1
The solid base option does not report any errors.
The open back option reports 8 errors which are auto repaired.
These errors are to do with the 8 holes for screw fixing, I think I didn't extend them beyond the face enough, although they looked complete on the rendering, however I think it will print correctly.

I can't post the OpenSCAD files because I am on limited bandwidth on mobile data until the end of May, but I will gladly post them after that.

Paul

Interesting, I'm getting 8 errors on the solid back version.

I think you will find that the openscad files are tiny and have negligible impact on your data usage.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 05, 2014 05:29AM
appjaws1

The OpenSCAD file should just be a small fraction of the size of the pictures or STL files, they're usually just a few kB in size, at least for a reasonably simple object like this one. Comparable in size to viewing this forum thread web page...

I looked at the STL file in Sketchup and found some holes in it here and there.
May 05, 2014 05:49AM
slic3r reports 8 facets reversed. I don't know what this means or how to correct it. It's strange that the open version does not have these errors so I am thinking it is something to do with the captive nuts.

Attached the OpenSCAD files,

If you manage a repair please let me know how I can avoid this in the future.

Why did I think these file were large?

The way I have written this is not pretty but is my first real attempt. If I could have written it more efficiently I would be glad of some guidance.

Thank you all for your interest.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v1.scad (4.1 KB)
open | download - appjaws-modified-duet-fixings.scad (2.5 KB)
May 05, 2014 12:47PM
Attached, a new stl for the appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v1 with no slic3r errors.

let me know if any problems
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v1-stl.zip (137 KB)
May 06, 2014 04:07AM
I have been trying to print your casing for 2 days now, but had no luck and I dont know why.
The gcode.sw shows this as the first layer, and the slic3r view is also ok

but all I get from the printer is

That is all I get from the first layer, and than it moves on to the second layer.

EDIT: I have tried to print some other file (eg bed clips) and it works without problems.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 04:37AM by Sardi.
May 06, 2014 06:15AM
Thank you for trying to print the duet enclosure.
I have fixed the problem please download the new version and let me know if you have any other problems.

The problem was my fault and my inexperience in OpenSCAD. - I'll try harder.
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v4-stl.zip (109 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v2-stl.zip (120.8 KB)
May 06, 2014 08:33AM
I made the download and will print later on in the day. For now I just converted it to G code, and I see the print duration jumped from 3h30min to 4h30min, so you did something different there smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 08:41AM by Sardi.
May 06, 2014 09:18AM
Hi Sardi,

Have you changed your slic3r settings?

I just wish I had my printer with me and then I could have printed the item.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
May 06, 2014 06:18PM
Mate, its a no go. You should really try to print this yourself to see what happens. Now it starts ok, but in the first layer, when it comes to the bottom 4 holes, the filament just gets completely wraped up in a small ball of filament, draging and sticking everything arround with it as it goes on. Unfortunately there is no photo this time because there is nothing to take a photo of, I had to throw away most of the filament as I stopped the process.

I tried 4 times to print your casing, once it even got stuck arround the first hole, and filled it up with filament and the same thing happened as mentioned above. Also I have changed the bed temperature, to eliminate the bed as not being sticky enough, but that was also not the case. Every time I start with the spot clean nozzle, and finish with the nozzle being covered in filament.

Every time after the try I started printing something of mine and have re checked the Z probe, just to be sure that my settings are working, and everything seems ok by me.

Wish I could help you more, but I dont know anything about OpenSCAD nor why this happens during print.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 06:35PM by Sardi.
May 07, 2014 02:44AM
There is a very good GCode simulator here, which should allow to spot any major errors without wasting time & material.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 07, 2014 03:23AM
Pointy
There is a very good GCode simulator here, which should allow to spot any major errors without wasting time & material.

Regards,

Les

Looks cool, but how does one add this to slic3r?

Antonio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 04:19AM by Sardi.
May 07, 2014 03:32AM
Sardi
Pointy

Regards,

Les

Look cool, but how does one add this to slic3r?

Antonio

You don't, just load the GCode you create from Slic3r into it and it will draw the GCode on screen.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 07, 2014 03:33AM
Sardi
Look cool, but how does one add this to slic3r?

You don't, it is a separate application you run, and in there you load the gcode file generated by Slic3r (the one you would normally upload to the 3D printer). It will draw out all the moves the printer will do, together with some stats and numbers. Think of it as a "virtual 3D printer".

I usually prefer gcode.ws, it is web-based and a bit simpler, but also easy to navigate around between layers.
May 07, 2014 05:53AM
RepetierHost [www.repetier.com] (a Pronterface replacement) also has a very good gcode visualiser.

appjaws1: I have added this to the 'Ormerod improvements' page: [reprap.org]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 07, 2014 09:23AM
Sardi
Mate, its a no go. You should really try to print this yourself to see what happens. Now it starts ok, but in the first layer, when it comes to the bottom 4 holes, the filament just gets completely wraped up in a small ball of filament, draging and sticking everything arround with it as it goes on. Unfortunately there is no photo this time because there is nothing to take a photo of, I had to throw away most of the filament as I stopped the process.

I tried 4 times to print your casing, once it even got stuck arround the first hole, and filled it up with filament and the same thing happened as mentioned above. Also I have changed the bed temperature, to eliminate the bed as not being sticky enough, but that was also not the case. Every time I start with the spot clean nozzle, and finish with the nozzle being covered in filament.

Every time after the try I started printing something of mine and have re checked the Z probe, just to be sure that my settings are working, and everything seems ok by me.

Wish I could help you more, but I dont know anything about OpenSCAD nor why this happens during print.

It sounds like the bottom of the design is not all at the same level, so some of what should be the 1st layer is printing on the 2nd layer. Possibly the STL imported into OpenScad is not at the same Z height as the added parts. You can try to level it by shaving a small bit off the bottom - e.g. make the part a module (I've called "part"), and prepend:

difference(){
translate([0,0,-0.1])
part();
translate([-500,-500,-1])
cube([1000,1000,1]);
}

Dave
(#106)
May 07, 2014 08:07PM
Sorry for the delays and the problems you have had in printing the enclosures.
I have re-written them and checked them on a simulator and all looks well.
Please download the latest versions attached.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v5-stl.zip (117.3 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v5-stl.zip (100.2 KB)
May 07, 2014 10:06PM
Attached are the correct files for both versions Duet Enclosure solid base v6 and Duet Enclosure v6

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 01:21PM by appjaws1.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v6-stl.zip (1.7 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v6-stl.zip (1.5 KB)
May 14, 2014 04:19PM
Duet enclosures with logo and name printed.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v7-stl.zip (163.5 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v7-stl.zip (144.2 KB)
May 15, 2014 03:35AM
That's a pretty neat idea Paul. I am not sure how good it will print though. I think the logo and letters need to slope out from the side to print nicely.

Not sure if this pic really shows it properly but hopefully you get what I mean...

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 15, 2014 06:59PM
Thanks pointy, you may well be right that the letters and logo might have a problem printing, nothing to support them.
So I have produced new versions with indented letters and logo.
I wish I had my printer with me so I could check that they print ok.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v7-indented-stl.zip (165.8 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v7-indented-stl.zip (146.7 KB)
May 16, 2014 04:50AM
Thanks for doing this. I particularly wanted to take advantage of the repositioning holes together with the extra depth.

I did have a problem with the first print generated from the last version before the lettering was added v6. All seemed to be going well but when I came to remove it, it came off in 2 pieces! The external screw hole bracket was not attached.

Looking at the g-code produced from slic3r shows the problem and if I'd been paying attention slic3r reports 2 shells.

The parts do not overlap so the track does not bind the parts together.

You can also see it in the scad.

I adjusted the last line in the fill-in module to

translate([59,17,0])cube([6,18,3.9]);//base of screw fitting

and it looks OK

so I'll have another go printing.

I did also check the v7 indented and that has the same problem.
May 16, 2014 07:44AM
bobtidey,
Thank you very much for pointing out the error.
I have fixed the files and attach new versions.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-solid-base-v8-indented-stl.zip (159.9 KB)
open | download - appjaws-Duet-Enclosure-v8-indented-stl.zip (149.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login