Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

anti-vibration stands for ormerod

Posted by appjaws1 
anti-vibration stands for ormerod
May 05, 2014 05:09PM
These stands are based an idea on thingiverse. They are designed specifically for the Ormerod.
you will need to print Qty 2 of appjaws-anti-vibration-front-v2-stl ,Qty1 of appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-v2-stl and Qty 1 of appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-left-v2-stl

The front units fit under the acrylic end pieces, the rear fits under the Z extrusion and the Z foot. This set up worked well except that when the bed was over to the left, a slight instability was apparent. So I made the rear-left item which fits under the Y motor and Y-motor bracket.

enjoy
Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-front-v2-stl.zip (26.4 KB)
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-left-v2-stl.zip (26.3 KB)
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-v2-stl.zip (26.3 KB)
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-front-v2.png (9.8 KB)
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-left-v2.png (11.2 KB)
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-v2.png (10.6 KB)
Re: anti-vibration stands for ormerod
May 09, 2014 02:51AM
Great! I'll get these printed asap, as the vibration (or better: the vibration of the table on which the printer rests) annoys other family members. Thanks!
May 09, 2014 12:59PM
Just thought I would publish the OpenScad rendering of the front device. The rear and rear left are the same except for the tops which are designed specifically for the correct location

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
June 06, 2014 12:13PM
Attached, slightly modified parts that fit together better.

You will need to print:-
Qty 2 of the front units, they fit under the acrylic end pieces.
Qty 1 of the rear which fits under the Z extrusion and the Z foot.
Qty 1 of the rear-left which fits under the Y motor and Y-motor bracket.

enjoy
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-front-v2.zip (26.6 KB)
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-left-v2.zip (26.5 KB)
open | download - appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-v2.zip (26.5 KB)
June 06, 2014 12:21PM
Nice one thanks Paul,

I'm printing a set of these now. smiling smiley

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
July 01, 2014 08:30AM
going to print these for my Ormerod as well smiling smiley
July 02, 2014 02:50AM
Ok have printed them now.
It deffenetly reduces the vibrations transfered to the table!

The front once fitted nicely.
But I cant really figure out how to put the other two. seams to be no real obvious way they go?
July 02, 2014 03:01AM
As mentioned in the first post, the "rear" goes under the Z axis, and the "rear left" goes under the Y motor/bracket. I found neither of those fit too well, but I just sort of placed them somewhere it seemed decent.

However, on a flat surface, the "rear left" one in my case would barely touch the printer and would easily come out, so I just removed it. And since there was a lot more weight on the "rear" one, it would tilt a lot in that direction. I took out the inner "loop" of the two front ones, so I'm just using half the mount for those. That makes the printer sit level, and it seems to stand securely on just three feet. It doesn't move about noticeably when I move the bed to end positions though I haven't made any extremely large and heavy prints on it...

In any case, it did make the printer a _lot_ less noisy. I had not expected it to make nearly as much of a difference as it did.
July 02, 2014 03:38AM
jstck
As mentioned in the first post, the "rear" goes under the Z axis, and the "rear left" goes under the Y motor/bracket. I found neither of those fit too well, but I just sort of placed them somewhere it seemed decent.

However, on a flat surface, the "rear left" one in my case would barely touch the printer and would easily come out, so I just removed it. And since there was a lot more weight on the "rear" one, it would tilt a lot in that direction. I took out the inner "loop" of the two front ones, so I'm just using half the mount for those. That makes the printer sit level, and it seems to stand securely on just three feet. It doesn't move about noticeably when I move the bed to end positions though I haven't made any extremely large and heavy prints on it...

In any case, it did make the printer a _lot_ less noisy. I had not expected it to make nearly as much of a difference as it did.

So it's not just me. I also find the left back one barely touching.
I still have it there though just in case smiling smiley

And yeah I agree.
They seamed very rigid so was worried at first it would transfer the vibrations almost as good as the printer itself.
But they really do make a big difference!
September 02, 2014 09:37AM
I'm having a bit of a problem with the prints lifting at the ends ( in the loops).

I think it may be because they're so thin. anyone else had these problems, anyone got any suggested solutions?
September 02, 2014 10:22AM
barkerboy
I'm having a bit of a problem with the prints lifting at the ends ( in the loops).

I think it may be because they're so thin. anyone else had these problems, anyone got any suggested solutions?

Adding a skirt should do it, e.g. slic3r\print settings\skirt and brim: loops 10, distance from object 0 mm, skirt height 1 layer

Erik
September 02, 2014 10:57AM
barkerboy

For anything with sharp corners, I slow down the first layer speed using the slider on the web interface. I also have the speed for small perimeters set very low (10mm/sec) in slic3r. I don't use a brim.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 02, 2014 11:11AM
cheers peeps will set that up and let you know how she goes
September 02, 2014 02:43PM
Hi,

is PLA ok for this, or is ABS needed for more flexibility?
September 02, 2014 04:30PM
PLA works fine. I think that's what they are designed for, it gives plenty of "springiness".
September 24, 2014 03:05PM
I have amended the design of the rear unit to have a larger platform which will make it easier to locate under the ormerod foot.appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-v3-stl.zip

Also amended is the rear left so that it now provides some support for the Y motor.appjaws-anti-vibration-rear-left-v3-stl.zip

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
September 25, 2014 05:56AM
thanks for these! Will try them out as well.

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
October 12, 2014 07:58AM

Ok, these work GREAT! Much quieter while printing and it raises the under bed wiring higher off the table. I would rename the back feet since they are very non intuitive. It may be more clear to call them Y motor stand and Z motor stand (or foot). These should be on thingiverse as well! If you don't want to upload them I can do it giving you the credit for the design. Thanks for making these standing anti-vibrating base feet!

slic3r-1.2.9
October 12, 2014 02:56PM
Many thanks! i did them a month ago and stopped any claim about night noises from wy wife!
I recommend them to everyone who prints during night on a wood bench fitted to walls!

Green Ormerod Fan

Improvements and tunings:
- aluminum bed with spring suspended bed and iamburny's Y belt tensioner
- masonstonehenge's spring loaded extruder with dc42's herringbone gears based on iamburny's design
- philiptemobster's extruder holder
- Abs made fan holder, X carriage and extruder
- 0.78 firmware
- dc42's IR sensor + led PCB
Tested and want to improve:
- laser cutting L-Cheapo attachement
WTD:
- double extruder (to use different support material)
October 12, 2014 05:13PM
Amsterdamman
[attachment 41779 IMG_1179.jpg]

Ok, these work GREAT! Much quieter while printing and it raises the under bed wiring higher off the table. I would rename the back feet since they are very non intuitive. It may be more clear to call them Y motor stand and Z motor stand (or foot). These should be on thingiverse as well! If you don't want to upload them I can do it giving you the credit for the design. Thanks for making these standing anti-vibrating base feet!

Glad you like them, please share them on thingiverse and rename if you like.
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
October 12, 2014 06:15PM
Thanks Paul! Just added it to thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com] I can almost forget its printing now, between the missing scratching sounds the spring extruder stopped and now these feet... The best part is of course: its been printing again successfully for a few days now!!

slic3r-1.2.9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login