Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connecting Ormerod Duet via ethernet to PC - Problem

Posted by Paul_Avery 
Connecting Ormerod Duet via ethernet to PC - Problem
May 07, 2014 01:33PM
Hi all,

I'm having difficulty connecting the Duet board of my Ormerod to my PC via ethernet cable. I want to access the online control page but unable to do so as I can't figure out how to connect the duet to my PC. I know the duet can connect to the internet because I used to have it wired directly to my router, but now I have changed rooms I can't do this.

Does anyone know how to do this? Please help me.
Re: Connecting Ormerod Duet via ethernet to PC - Problem
May 07, 2014 01:37PM
What does it mean that you have changed rooms? What else has changed beside the room?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 01:38PM by Sardi.
May 07, 2014 02:16PM
I think this means the connection is now direct between the PC and the Duet rather than via the router. This probably needs a cross-over ethernet cable as I doubt there is the auto-mdi-x supported. It also needs the version of the web support not requiring internet access either with all files served by the Duet or with a webserver local to the PC.
May 07, 2014 02:18PM
I would firstly check the IP addresses before anything else. Your router could have provided a different IP address than your PC does now.
May 07, 2014 02:56PM
Sardi
I would firstly check the IP addresses before anything else. Your router could have provided a different IP address than your PC does now.

Exactly so. If the PC is not connected to the router, it will not be picking up an IP address via DHCP as it probably did before and will revert to Microsoft's default (assuming a Windoze OS) unless there is a fixed IP set up. You will either need to change the Duet's IP address to one on the same subnet as that default (use "ipconfig" from a command prompt to find out what it is), or set up a fixed IP in Windoze network control panel. As a trick, set any IP address you like on the PC (except 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255), set a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0, set any other address for gateway and DNS (they won't be used) and you don't have to worry about subnets - the PC will regard all IP addresses as being on your local network. Don't forget to change back before you plug into a router!

It may also need a crossover cable, but the Duet is a fairly recent design and most PHY chips these days have built-in auto switching (and if not the PC very likely has it), so that may not be necessary - anyone know for sure?

You will indeed have to use a version of web and firmware that has everything on the Duet - such as DC42's latest.

Dave
(#106)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 02:56PM by dmould.
May 07, 2014 03:48PM
I used to have the Duet connected by cable to a laptop, which was wirelessly connected to the router. To do this, I bridged the wireless and wired network connections. This is very easy to do under Windows: go to control panel->network connections, select both the wired and wireless adapters, right click and select Bridge. I didn't need to use a crossover cable, despite it being a fairly old laptop.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 08, 2014 06:25AM
Thanks for your help guys,

I followed dc42's instructions and managed to get it working, quite simple when you think about it winking smiley I appreciate everyone's help!! thumbs up
May 08, 2014 04:48PM
Just for reference the Ethernet PHY on the Duet supports MDI/MDI-X so it will work with a straight through or cross over cable.

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
May 09, 2014 05:40PM
dc42
I used to have the Duet connected by cable to a laptop, which was wirelessly connected to the router. To do this, I bridged the wireless and wired network connections. This is very easy to do under Windows: go to control panel->network connections, select both the wired and wireless adapters, right click and select Bridge. I didn't need to use a crossover cable, despite it being a fairly old laptop.

Perfect - an excellent, simple and effective explanation of how to (finally) get my web interface working reliably with my Ormerod while it is not connected to the router - thanks a million (again) @DC42 thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login