Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smaller inner holes dimension

Posted by mancinism 
Smaller inner holes dimension
May 10, 2014 08:19AM
I am facing problem where the inner holes are smaller than designed. An 6.0mm inner hole will end up like 5.5mm instead, but the external dimensions are perfect. So assuming the X and Y axis are perfect.

I had try calibrated the flow rate with single wall cube. But still fail to solve the inner dimension issue.

Is that anything can be done to improve the situation? Thank you.
Re: Smaller inner holes dimension
May 10, 2014 08:28AM
This has been covered before in this forum. I recall that RRP did a patch to slic3r to correct for the physical effect of the filament tending to flow to the inside of the hole, but the author of slic3r declined to include it. When I print objects with small holes in the z-plane, I increase the requested hole size to compensate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 05:47PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 10, 2014 02:54PM
dc42
..This has been covered before in this forum...

Here:

....The best compromise is to select 'External perimeters first' in 'Print Settings > Layers and perimeters > advanced'. That way, the inner layer won't push the outer layer even further into the hole.

I hope that helps.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
May 10, 2014 05:47PM
I always used to have "External perimeters first" checked, and I had still had this problem. I now have it un-checked because I get better outer perimeters that way.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 11, 2014 03:44AM
dc42
I always used to have "External perimeters first" checked, and I had still had this problem. I now have it un-checked because I get better outer perimeters that way.

Ditto

Erik
May 11, 2014 03:45AM
There is also an interesting discussion here
[forums.reprap.org]
With some good diagrams of the issue on pages 3 and 4

But as DC42 says, currently it is best to adjust your hole sizes.

There is/was an active discussion here.
[github.com]

[Edit, added the following...]
Looks like CURA and KISSLICER may have a fix, but didn't find any tests or conclusion.
[github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2014 04:03AM by Treth.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
May 12, 2014 01:57AM
I am using Cura. Assuming dc42 solution is the best at this moment
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login