Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Web interface wish list

Posted by dc42 
Web interface wish list
May 15, 2014 11:12AM
In case Matt or I get any time to work on the web interface, I'm starting a wish-list of improvements. Feel free to make suggestions, or to say if you don't think any of these is a good idea. Here is my list so far:

1. Better prediction of print completion time. Base the estimate on filament used compared to total filament needed, but in the calculation use the filament consumption for recent layers, rather than for the print so far.

1a. Don't show so many (4) estimates. Perhaps just one based on filament usage, and one based on layers (e.g. average all layers until 5 layers have been completed, then average of last 5 layers).

2. When printing from SD card, show the current target temperatures next to the actual temperatures. [Kim]

3. Change the print completion times to 24-hour clock, or possibly make 12h/24h configurable.

4. Display the print start time. When the print has completed, display the print finish time and total time taken excluding any pause time.

5. Increase file upload speed further (I currently get around 2.2Mb/minute).

6. Display up-time and last reset reason on the Settings page.

7. Change manual extruder controls. Replace Forward and Reverse buttons by Extrude and Retract, put these at the bottom or on the right, and make these send the actual commands. [Kim]

8. Quick commands to extrude/retract 400mm of filament at high speed, for use when changing filament. Maybe with a slow acceleration to start with when retracting, and an "Are you sure?" prompt if the hot end is below e.g. 120C.

9. The current states displayed are Disconnected, Active, Ready and Halted. Add a new state Standby when M81 is used to turn off ATX power. Clicking on the state button when it it Standby would send M80, changing the state to Ready.

10 . Add a Reset button, with an "Are you sure?" popup. It would send M999 to reset the Duet. Or possibly do a reset when the state button shows Halted and is clicked.

11. Show current axis speeds. [Kim]

12. Configurable feed rate on the settings page, used when pressing the movement buttons and when executing G1 quick commands.

13. In the print status page, show more slic3r/Cura settings, and the total filament required if known.

14. Add facility to upload other files, e.g. homing files and files needed by the web interface.

15. Currently the "Upload & print" button always writes to file tempWebPrint.gcode. Change it to use a small number of filenames in rotation instead so that the last few files printed are always available.

16. Facility to query the information from files on the SD card, e.g. file size, object height, filament required, date/time written, slic3r parameters.

17. Remove the direct web print button (to simplify the code and reduce testing requirements).

18. Auto-adapt to variable numbers of heaters and extruders. [But I won't be doing this unless someone gives me a multi-extruder conversion kit!]

This is already getting rather long, I keep thinking of new ones!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Web interface wish list
May 15, 2014 12:43PM
I must say the current webif is already great! A huge thank you to matt & dc42!
My wishlist (in order of would be most usefullnto myself)
14. Upload other files (would prefer never to unplug sd)
5. Increase upload speed
19. Update FW from webif ;-)

Not really needed but probably good ideas:
18. Multi extruderS. Ian could you maybe try and get dc the required kit? I think he more than deserves it. Alternatively we can collect money here. I pledge 20 gbp.
17. Remove direct print.
15. Keep last 3 to 5 upload& print files (could you add the time/date when it was printed)?
8 and 9 also sound like nice ideas.
Just my 0.02
May 15, 2014 12:51PM
Those all sound great. If we can get a fraction done it will step on the web interface a lot.

5) More speed is always worthwhile. Although uploads are much faster than they were at the beginning and are a small proportion of overall print time, they do involve hanging around while they complete. I wonder how feasible it is at the Duet end to support a more standard multi-part/form upload or maybe a tftp transfer. These should run significantly faster than block gcode transfers at th eapplication level. They might also help with achieving totally general purpose 14).

7) and 8) I really like to make changing filament easier. Maybe with 8) have a setting for the '400mm' to tweak it to suit the individual printer.

14) Can be done partially today. If you drop a .g file onto the config.g button then it gets uploaded to sys using the same name. So homing files can already be updated.

Small extra thoughts are

a) Consider dispensing with Connect as it retries anyway.

b) Enabled versions of the add code commands to the menu list so we can add our favourite items.

c) Maybe an even finer Z step option now that beds are getting more stable.

Large extra thoughts for long term

d) Tab to accommodate a web cam streaming video feed or part of print status. I use a separate browser tab for this at the moment.

e) Filament spool media management. E.g. A tab holding up to say 10 filament spools with a select for the one in use. User enters new spool and start lengths and system keeps track of how much filament is left on each one.
May 15, 2014 03:06PM
I would add a very minor layout point but one I keep tripping over.

The layout of the X, Y and Z movements, more like Pronterface.

But just to add; the interface generally is fantastic.

Tim

Firmware: 059d, Web Interface: 0.8
75mm Diameter Extruder Drive
100mm test model
Filament spool holder and rotating dispenser
May 15, 2014 03:09PM
David, the following is my list of improvements, in priority order, based on your list with additions:-

Add a Reset button, with an "Are you sure?" popup. It would send M999 to reset the Duet. Or possibly do a reset when the state button shows Halted and is clicked.

Add facility to upload other files, e.g. homing files and files needed by the web interface. This already works for g files dropped onto sys. We need to get to the position that the SD card is never needed to be removed.

Better prediction of print completion time. Base the estimate on filament used compared to total filament needed, but in the calculation use the filament consumption for recent layers, rather than for the print so far.

Change the print completion times to 24-hour clock, or possibly make 12h/24h configurable.

Display the print start time. When the print has completed, display the print finish time and total time taken excluding any pause time.

After "Upload & print" has finished have the system ask if the file should be saved to SD card or discarded, if so, use the original file name.

Remove the direct web print button (to simplify the code and reduce testing requirements).

When printing, show the current target temperatures next to the actual temperatures and make the temperatures adjustable during print

Change manual extruder controls. Replace Forward and Reverse buttons by Extrude and Retract, put these at the bottom or on the right, and make these send the actual commands. [Kim]

Quick commands to extrude/retract 400mm of filament at high speed, for use when changing filament. Maybe with a slow acceleration to start with when retracting, and an "Are you sure?" prompt if the hot end is below e.g. 120C.

Don't show so many (4) estimates. Perhaps just one based on filament usage, and one based on layers (e.g. average all layers until 5 layers have been completed, then average of last 5 layers).

Facility to query the information from files on the SD card, e.g. file size, object height, filament required, date/time written, slic3r parameters.

In the print status page, show more slic3r/Cura settings, and the total filament required if known.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
May 15, 2014 04:51PM
My favourites:

• Separate file for personal settings, that can be easier brought between web interface releases. Stuff like extruder/bed temperature presets, extra "quick command" buttons, and overriding variables for any settings that might vary between users. Perhaps realizable with a separate javascript file, or maybe just cookies?
  • Upload function for any file in sys. Changing homing files is one of very few reasons I need to remove the SD card, and when iteratively trying things out it is rather annoying.
  • HTTP API to programmatically get printer status, run commands, upload files, start prints. I guess this is already possible by just doing whatever requests the web UI is doing, but how that is done is far from obvious. Maybe a matter of just some documentation.
May 16, 2014 08:28AM
I'd like to get rid of the 100mm Z move buttons and add 0.01mm Z move buttons. The number of times I've accidentally clicked 100mm instead of 10mm! It is very rare you need to move Z by as much as 100mm, and on those rare occasions you can click on 10mm 10 times (or enter a G code by hand).

Dave
(#106)
May 16, 2014 08:49AM
dmould
I'd like to get rid of the 100mm Z move buttons and add 0.01mm Z move buttons. The number of times I've accidentally clicked 100mm instead of 10mm! It is very rare you need to move Z by as much as 100mm, and on those rare occasions you can click on 10mm 10 times (or enter a G code by hand).

Dave, are you aware of the "Half Z steps" setting?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 16, 2014 09:22AM
dc42
dmould

Dave, are you aware of the "Half Z steps" setting?

No - I must admit to using a month-old web interface & firmware that doesn't have that as far as I recall (not near printer so cannot check). My main gripe is the 100mm Z buttons, which don't have any use for me apart from causing me to switch off the printer and reset everything when I click either of them by accident (which is faster and easier than waiting for the Z motor to stop churning after (usually) watching the nozzle hit the bed and the nut leave the trap). I make the mistake less often than I used to - when I first used the web interface I was used to Pronterface with its max Z move button being 10mm.

Dave
(#106)
May 16, 2014 11:37AM
On the subject of accidental clicks, it is also rather easy to kick off a print rather than deleting a file. Clearer separation of the controls or a confirm dialog would help.
May 16, 2014 05:40PM
bobtidey
On the subject of accidental clicks, it is also rather easy to kick off a print rather than deleting a file. Clearer separation of the controls or a confirm dialog would help.

Bob, can you confirm you have had this problem with a recent web interface (e.g. 0.74 or later) and using Chrome browser? The filename button turns red when a click is going to delete it, so I don't find it at all easy to print instead of delete.

May 16, 2014 05:43PM
auser
18. Multi extruderS. Ian could you maybe try and get dc the required kit? I think he more than deserves it.

We're organising it already, no donations needed! And yes, it is the least that we can do for him, and Matt (we sent him a few bits and pieces a couple of weeks ago), for their tremendous contribution. But we don't mean to give him stuff so he has MORE to do! No obligation or expectation of results is expected or implied.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 16, 2014 05:45PM
I decided to have a go at allowing upload of any file needed for the web interface. It turns out that there are numerous issues - every time I fix one, I find another one. I've come to the conclusion that I need to use separate web interface message types for uploading files, rather than an M-command followed by the data as if it were a stream of gcodes and then either another M-command of an end-of-file marker. This will also make the upload mechanism more robust, potentially faster, and allow the opportunity for the firmware to report file I/O errors back to the web interface, which is not possible using the current protocol. But it will take a while longer.

May 17, 2014 01:59AM
droftarts
auser
18. Multi extruderS. Ian could you maybe try and get dc the required kit? I think he more than deserves it.

We're organising it already, no donations needed! ....

Great! That frees my 20£ for a 0.35 extruder kit. I found out that i really like printing smallish models and hope this helps details.
May 17, 2014 02:08AM
I know it's a little more than the Web Interface, but what I'd really like to see with the Ormerod is MTP on the USB.
Are the g-codes examined as the files are uploaded in the interface? If so, would it be possible to have an 'upload as raw' type command to upload files quicker without the overhead of checking it as it goes?
May 17, 2014 03:39AM
VortyZA
Are the g-codes examined as the files are uploaded in the interface? If so, would it be possible to have an 'upload as raw' type command to upload files quicker without the overhead of checking it as it goes?

Yes that's what I am planning to do.

May 17, 2014 07:40AM
auser
Great! That frees my 20£ for a 0.35 extruder kit. I found out that i really like printing smallish models and hope this helps details.

Not wishing to thread hijack, but we currently only offer 0.5mm and 0.3mm nozzles. So even smaller and finer. And yes, a 0.3mm nozzle will help.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 17, 2014 10:41AM
One thing that the RRP web interface has that I thought was important was password protection. I would like to see that implemented sometime. Mine is on a more of an open network and I worry.
May 17, 2014 11:38AM
Sometimes I'll start a print and realise I've made a mistake (the model was the wrong way up in Slic3r usually). What I'd like to be able to do is stop the print, upload some new g-code and try again without rebooting the printer. I've tried using the pause button for this but it usually doesn't work so something I'd find really useful would be an "abort" button.
May 17, 2014 04:02PM
DaveB, I find that Pause followed by Restart usually works, although it may take 20 seconds or so for Pause to take effect.

May 18, 2014 03:06PM
dc42
DaveB, I find that Pause followed by Restart usually works, although it may take 20 seconds or so for Pause to take effect.

User error then. Thanks, I'll try that next time.
May 18, 2014 03:43PM
btw the reason that Pause takes a while to have an effect is that it has to finish executing the gcodes already processed and queued. If it's currently executing a gcode that involves waiting for a temperature to be reached, then you might have to wait considerably more than 20 seconds.

May 18, 2014 03:51PM
One of the most popular requests is to upload any file to the SD card. I've implemented this, at least for the .js and .css web interface files, in an experimental release. See [forums.reprap.org] for more.

Uploading /sys/homex.g etc. was already possible as has been pointed out.

May 18, 2014 09:23PM
1) To be able to Change Directory...
2) A directory Listing of a Directory other than the one the Gcode files are in.
3) A Fan on/off button (For use with M106 S255 & M106 S0 or M107 please.... (I needed that control this evening when the connector went on the fan on my HotEnd...)
4)To be able to Upload ANY file type... Not just Gcode files (but I think you've done this...)
5) For the Firmware to record the Gcode/error code in a log file for the last print... (It would help to trace bugs when people have to turn the machine off in a hurry).
6) Would it be possible to stop a print, raise the head, then turn the machine off... Then have it restart from where it stop later.... (My switches give me very accurate positioning now, and so it would be possible to reposition the head at the right point.)

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login