Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WIERD BASE TO SCULPTURE

Posted by KimBrown 
WIERD BASE TO SCULPTURE
May 16, 2014 05:45PM
I'm trying to print a sculpture that has a round base.
I've set the top layer to 20 and the bottom layer to 5 in SLic3r.
It got to about layer 10 and I've stopped it, because it printed an outter rim about 5 layers thick, then the solid infill has a gap of about 1mm but this is off center, and touching on one side to the rim of the base.
You would say a belt was jumping, but it's all in line,and being repeated layer after layer.

I think it's something in Slic3r doing it, so have ripped up my settings and starting from scratch....
Any one else had this? Initially I let it carry on, and I had a base with blow holes (for want of a better name) in it.
But after upping the Extruder multiplier to 1 from 0.9, its made it worse, and theres a gap 3/4s of the way around........ I might try 0.8 later
Kim

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: WIERD BASE TO SCULPTURE
May 16, 2014 07:32PM
Hi Kim

yes that sound weird, you could also try my settings (attached) - extrusion multiplier may not fit your setup - and of cause ad a brim for glass print

here's the my slicer g for not a babe scale 100:

; generated by Slic3r 1.0.0RC3 on 2014-03-30 at 17:49:19

; layer_height = 0.24
; perimeters = 2
; top_solid_layers = 4
; bottom_solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 0.4
; perimeter_speed = 40
; infill_speed = 40
; travel_speed = 60
; nozzle_diameter = 0.5
; filament_diameter = 1.75
; extrusion_multiplier = 0.791
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.50mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.87mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.85mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.85mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.38mm

Erik
Attachments:
open | download - Slic3r settings.zip (2.1 KB)
May 16, 2014 09:41PM
Thanks for that Erik, I enabled the Fan, and I'm wondering if for some reasons it might be linked to that.
I wonder if any one else has the Fan control enabled, and what thier settings are.

May 19, 2014 07:30AM
Has Slic3r updated itself? It has done that before without me noticing. The reason I wonder is that I have also experienced a Slic3r bug this weekend. I had a design that contained 3 walls forming an open-sided box inside the part. The walls are 3mm thick - the box needs to be reasonably strong. For some reason Slic3r failed to fill one of the walls, so it ended up being two 1mm thick walls with a 1mm gap between. I will rescue it by filling the gap with epoxy - it is an 11 hour print so I don't want to re-print if I can avoid it. One of the walls it filled OK was the same length & with and parallel with the one it failed to fill. I had previously sliced the same STL with Cura and Cura filled the wall fine. Bit of a frustrating weekend really - I spent all day Saturday chasing a bug with infill going wrong that I thought was Cura, but it turned out to be a firmware bug. By the time I figured that out it was late afternoon before I got the print started and I fell asleep at about 2AM before the print finished, and discovered that the Y stepper had missed a step when the nozzle hit a raised bit of a closing hole because I was not present to baby it past what I know is a critical place. That's why I re-sliced in Slicer on Sunday (which handles bridging better), only to find it leaving a hollow wall. Slic3r also prints 2mm thick walls by printing 1 perimeter and filling the gap (even though set for 2 perimeters), whilst Cura prints the same wall by printing two perimeters and no fill, which I think gives a stronger wall, so the 2mm wall has delaminated slightly in a couple of places, which I think I will be able to glue back OK. Still, I'm not too pleased with the result.

(#106)
May 19, 2014 05:05PM
Oh dear.... Annoying and expencive....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login