Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing

Posted by Ecko 
Printing
May 20, 2014 02:57AM
So I built the machine, all the parts work, had trouble connecting to the web interface (thanks for the help guys) bridging solved that. Managed to level my mdf bed (as much as I could), tightened up some loose belts, anticipating my first print..... But I press print and the damn thing moves to the home position and doesn't start - them I get the not printing sign come up... What am I missing? I thought I followed all the instructions (apart from creating a setbed.g) because I levelled the bed ....

Feeling la little confused and frustrated.
Re: Printing
May 20, 2014 03:07AM
What are you printing? One of the supplied files (snowmen or coat hangers) or something else? Does the gcode file look complete (i.e. stuff happening after the first few lines with homing and such)?
After homing it will wait for temperatures to come up, and especially bed heat can take quite a while. But even so, it should be saying it is printing.
May 20, 2014 07:40AM
When it moves to the homing point, it's waiting for the bed and hot end to warm up before starting printing. As it does this, you don't get any feedback regarding temperature, annoyingly, so it looks like the temperature doesn't move. What you should see is the LED on the front of the bed turn on. It will take a few minutes to get up to temperature.

There are a couple of other potential problems, but I think this is the most likely.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 20, 2014 07:58AM
droftarts
When it moves to the homing point, it's waiting for the bed and hot end to warm up before starting printing. As it does this, you don't get any feedback regarding temperature, annoyingly, so it looks like the temperature doesn't move.

Ian, he implied he was using the web interface, in which case he can monitor the temperatures there while it is heating up.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 20, 2014 12:56PM
Thanks for the replies - the web interface does not allow me to track bed temp... Think I need to update the firmware or something. Pronterface does update the temperature but a whole list of code appears in the comment box... Either it's an error or uploading something which it shouldn't be doing because it's already on the sd card... I will try again now (wait a bit longer for the bed temp to increase) then report back.
May 20, 2014 12:59PM
Sorry let me clarify my last message . Pronterface allows me to set bed temp and keep track of it, web interface doesn't allow me to do any of that. I think it's broken... When I print on pronterface the code appears. When I print on the web interface the progress bar stays at 5 percent forever...
May 20, 2014 01:18PM
Ecko
Sorry let me clarify my last message . Pronterface allows me to set bed temp and keep track of it, web interface doesn't allow me to do any of that. I think it's broken... When I print on pronterface the code appears. When I print on the web interface the progress bar stays at 5 percent forever...

Which version of the web interface are you using, and which firmware? Can you see the temperatures rising in the web interface?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 01:19PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 31, 2014 11:58AM
So I upgraded the firmware, I am running iambury software, put the setbed.g file in the g codes folder. Set z0, ran setbed g.... The ormerod still sits in home position... The motors work, I have homed the machine. Extruded some test filament to make sure it all worked... Why is this happening?
May 31, 2014 11:59AM
Hi dc42. I am using 0.65e software
Iambury is running the web interface is amazing now... But it isn't printing.
May 31, 2014 01:11PM
The extruder just sits in this position.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (504.5 KB)
May 31, 2014 01:16PM
Computer image
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (521.9 KB)
May 31, 2014 02:14PM
From your "Computer Image" it could be that you are setting the bed temperature to 110°C? It indicates that it's currently at 66°C (Top line in your photograph).
Usually the Start-Up G-Code is set such that it wait for all temperatures to be reached before starting to print.
If you are using the filament supplied with the kit, 55°C is a good temperature for the bed. The printer should then start "sooner".
May 31, 2014 02:25PM
I am using abs. I waited on one of my attempts for the bed temp to reach 100 and extruder to reach 240 still nothing... Do I set bed temp before print or does the print set it?
May 31, 2014 03:14PM
Ecko
I am using abs. I waited on one of my attempts for the bed temp to reach 100 and extruder to reach 240 still nothing... Do I set bed temp before print or does the print set it?

You can preheat the bed before starting the print, I often do this with ABS (8-10min to get to 110C on my very well isolated setup)....when you start the print the first temp. command in the g-file takes over

Erik
May 31, 2014 04:04PM
I do that.. But it's stuck on the home position. This should be easy now, not sure why it is not working yet.
May 31, 2014 06:43PM
Should I wait for pla filament before I print?
May 31, 2014 06:53PM
Ecko, does your heated bed even reach 110C? You may struggle to reach that temperature using the ATX PSU supplied. I suggest you gain experience with PLA, then when you are ready to print ABS, look at whether you need to use a better power supply to be able to reach the bed temperature you want to use.

The Ormerod kits are supplied with 300m of PLA filament - what has happened to that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 06:55PM by dc42.

May 31, 2014 07:03PM
holy cow, aye i 2nd the heated bed not making its target issue. i had a ton of problems with mine but if you just run the orientation axis Gcode to run it should just print out with the bed temp set to 64.. i think...
May 31, 2014 07:04PM
I buil my own ormerod - not from a kit. When I was building it I upgraded the power supply. The bed reaches 110. I have ordered some 1.75mm pla, it should arrive during the week... But I feel there may be another problem.
May 31, 2014 07:17PM
1. What does the start of the gcode file look like?

2. Check whether the web interface software you are using is compatible with 0.65e firmware. You need to use RRP's variant of Matt's web interface with their firmware. Or you can use my 0.59d-dc42 firmware and 0.80 web interface, details in another thread.

May 31, 2014 07:35PM
I used the current iambury interface. It makes connecting to the web interface so much easier. I will check.
June 01, 2014 09:31AM
The picture shows I reach 100 deg bed temp.

I tried to look into the code. When it says wait for warm position M116; wait for all temperatures G10 p0 s205 r0; set extruder tempT0. Does that mean the part waits for the set bed temperature before it moves? If so that probably explains why the part isn't printing... Reaching a stable 110 takes a while is is hard as the absolute temp hard to keep constant. The extruder temp is the same.. But is more precise.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (58.4 KB)
June 01, 2014 09:38AM
Should I set bd temp to an achievable value like 94 deg instead of 110 as that is easily achievable?
June 01, 2014 10:58AM
Yes.

June 01, 2014 11:34AM
Haha, I will do this- fingers crossed.
June 01, 2014 04:30PM
Ok so I tried it ... I still get nothing. I have tried setting the bed temp to 45 and head to 100. (All easily achievable). I ran the print from g print drop. Before I had been clicking on gcodes. The blue bar comes up and gives me a percent completion but the extruder is not moving at all.... It moves when I do the setbed and circle test... The bed temp also rises to 90 deg when I have it set at 45... The head falls in temp once it reaches it's target temp. Could it be the board?
June 01, 2014 04:36PM
Have you seen this thread [forums.reprap.org] ?

June 02, 2014 11:24AM
Ecko
Ok so I tried it ... I still get nothing. I have tried setting the bed temp to 45 and head to 100. (All easily achievable). I ran the print from g print drop. Before I had been clicking on gcodes. The blue bar comes up and gives me a percent completion but the extruder is not moving at all.... It moves when I do the setbed and circle test... The bed temp also rises to 90 deg when I have it set at 45... The head falls in temp once it reaches it's target temp. Could it be the board?

It sounds like you have a high bed temperature set in the G code you are trying to print (which will over-ride any temperature you set manually). It will be near the start of the G code, which you can change in any text editor. The bed struggles to reach 110 deg if you are using a 12V PSU, which is why I increased the voltage to 14V. Unless the bed reaches about 2.5 deg below the set temperature, the print will not start.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login