Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle ooze

Posted by robbycar 
Nozzle ooze
May 20, 2014 04:48AM
When I am waiting for the hotend to come up to temperature, the nozzle emits a stream of PLA.

I have been trying to scrape it off before print starts.

Is this normal?

Should I worry about this?

Rob.
Re: Nozzle ooze
May 20, 2014 04:58AM
This is kind of normal...

If it oozes out hectically your head is maybe too hot. All PLA have a little differences and prints fine at anything between 175-205

Also some guys on here have made a head ooze catcher as the head moves into place by placing a small piece of Kapton tape on the edge there
May 20, 2014 05:11AM
Another option is to retract the filament by a few mm at the end of the previous job. Then make sure that in slic3r the minimum extrusion length for the skirt is enough to take account of this and then some more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 05:12AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 20, 2014 05:56AM
Thanks dc42, great idea!

Rob.
May 20, 2014 06:42AM
KaGen101
.. by placing a small piece of Kapton tape on the edge there

..yes and fold it back a bit, the glue will grab and hold the snot nicely

Captain snot-cutter
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
May 20, 2014 06:57AM
Gravity is great except when the filament is hot in the hotend.......lol
I do what DC42 does, and that helps allot, and also normally add either a Brim or sometimes a skirt to help get the nozzle working initialy before the print propper starts.
If you look below you will see a nozzle cleaner I came up with that is really handy.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
May 20, 2014 07:09AM
If you retract at the end of a print, make sure you extrude before starting the next, or you may get a poor start to the print. Though if you're going to have the nozzle sitting around at a high temperature, it's always going to do it. If you leave the nozzle at around 140C, it shouldn't ooze, then heating up to 190C (or whatever you print temperature is) is quick.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login